University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesgj123)
    Hi, could anyone explain the difference between Mathematics A and B in Natural Sciences, in terms of course content and advantages?
    You've already got a reply to the same question you posted before on another thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    You've already got a reply to the same question you posted before on another thread.
    Oh, my bad

ReputationRep:
    Are the fries good in Cambridge? Important question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Jake Wright's DoS seemed really cool from the videos off his channel.
    The queens DoS for CompSci has changed recently, according to their website and archive.org

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Whoo! I'm going for Spalding. Same reason as you. Kitchens are a bonus, but my culinary skills max out at making tea, so not much use to me. Not very happy about all the other freshers enjoy themselves over the college bar at Keynes with their ensuites, but I'll live, I suppose.

Haha, I'm not sure if I can work up the motivation to read it, apparently we'll have a group discussion about it in Freshers, so... urgh, King's are such nerds. :lol:

BTW, on that note - you haven't received your CAS yet, have you?
    Sorry if I'm being stupid here, but what is a CAS? I haven't received any e-mail after yesterday... seems all of the material is coming only through mail and not by e-mail at all!

I bought four sets of knives, forks and spoons in case I cba washing up

(yes I posted this in the other thread first)

(Original post by Axiomara)
    just go to a maccies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    just go to a maccies
    cheeky nandos

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is called toast up there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Krollo)
    cheeky nandos

Posted from TSR Mobile
    nandos are actually expensive for a student

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this will work...

(FB 360 vid)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...53741081489064

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Trinity do awesome sweet potato fries 🍟

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i cri evrytim

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You'll be eating a lot of fries from the 'Van of life', you'll understand exactly what I mean when you see it.

ReputationRep:
    didn't u make the most of free nandos the a level results students the other day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingRS)
    It says I need to wear a gown during Formal dinner, Special Formal seems to be 3 times a week so does that mean Formal is the dinner that's on every day? (In the White Book)
    I may have read it wrong so please correct me if so
    Yep you're reading it right The white book has confusing wording!

What the white book calls "Formal" is normal dinner, served every day in hall c. 5:30-7:30pm cafeteria style. Wear normal, everyday clothes. (I think the white book somewhere says the staff might not serve you in sportsgear)

What the white book calls "special formal" is what we all call "formal" and is the sit-down meal served three times a week, at 8pm after normal hall. This is what you need formal clothes and a gown for.

Hope that makes sense!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    You'll be eating a lot of fries from the 'Van of life', you'll understand exactly what I mean when you see it.
    Still can't understand why some people crave that thing...........
    Isn't Gardie's chips more suitable for human consumption?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Still can't understand why some people crave that thing...........
    Isn't Gardie's chips more suitable for human consumption?
    Their 'cheesy chips' are actually abysmal (van of life); it's like partially melted grated cheese and partially is an overstatement. But their chips in general are good value with a good range of sauces.

Gardie's is good grease food I guess, I'm not a big fan of Gardie's tbh, however, I haven't actually tried their chips.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the Clare College food is like?? Also a bit of a weird question but are the colleges good with their vegetarian meals, or would it be impossible for me to sustain this for the 3/4 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsIP2016)
    Does anyone know what the Clare College food is like?? Also a bit of a weird question but are the colleges good with their vegetarian meals, or would it be impossible for me to sustain this for the 3/4 years?
    There are veggie meals on offer at every mealtime (vegetarianism seems to be a very big thing in Cambridge tbh – at least far more common than in Wales) but quality can sometimes be variable.

This isn't a Clare-specific answer though. The one time I've eaten at Clare was at their vegan formal (not by design – we happened to arrange a formal with Welsh Soc there on that night) and it was surprisingly really good.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.