The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I haven't really done much revision for English, yet, tbh. In class we're analysing each poem one by one, so I'll be sure to look over those notes in due time. I think for me I'll focus on practice for English Language, and I think the same for English Literature. I will probably compile notes for each of the texts.
    same just analysing poems I think I'm going to focus on language but I don't what to practice with as there isn't any past papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samaad1)
    same just analysing poems I think I'm going to focus on language but I don't what to practice with as there isn't any past papers
    I don't think English Language has changed that much, so you can safely use past papers from the previous spec, as well as the specimen that the exam boards have released for the new spec.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, if anyone knows any useful resources that I haven't listened in the OP, please can you tag me and I will add them. Thank you
    - JTran38

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! Hope you're all doing well.
    Just out of interest, where's everyone up to with their notes for their subjects? As in the final ones? I'm nowhere near finished and I just wanted to know whether anyone else is in the same position. Honestly I don't think it'll help me to finish and finalise all my notes now, since it's easier for me to do it a fortnight or so before the exam. But the problem is that the exams are so close together next year... Has anyone got a solution for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepewds_)
    Just out of interest, where's everyone up to with their notes for their subjects? As in the final ones? I'm nowhere near finished and I just wanted to know whether anyone else is in the same position. Honestly I don't think it'll help me to finish and finalise all my notes now, since it's easier for me to do it a fortnight or so before the exam. But the problem is that the exams are so close together next year... Has anyone got a solution for this?
    I'm not finished, but we have a while to go yet, anyway. My advice to everyone is to build up your notes over time, preferably as you learn the topics, as they would still be fresh in your head.

ReputationRep:
    I'm leaving mine til I'm revising for mocks. I'll forget it all by the time it's closer to actual exams and have to do them all again. I don't really like reading my notes either - I use them as more of something to refer to when I'm stuck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I think I'm ready for the new GCSEs as I am predicted 8A*s and 3As
    I am currently studying the following GCSEs:
    AQA English Literature (predicted: 8)
    AQA English Language (predicted: 8)
    OCR Mathematics B (predicted: A*)
    AQA Physics (predicted: A*)
    AQA Biology (predicted: A*)
    AQA Chemistry (predicted: A*)
    AQA Drama (predicted: A)
    AQA History (predicted: A*)
    OCR Computing (predicted: A)
    AQA German (predicted: A)
    OCR Religious Studies (predicted: A*)

My favourite subjects are English Literature and History and I wish to study these at A-Level too. I enjoy drawing, although I don't study art at GCSE level. I'm a bit worried about learning all the poems for English and the quotes for Shakespeare, when is everyone thinking of starting to memorise them?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    the GCSE's i am currently taking and my predicted grades are
    AQA English Language & Literature - B & B
    Edexcel Mathematics - A
    OCR Triple Science - A - A - A
    Edexcel Spanish - B
    Edexcel Geography - A
    AQA Economics - A
    AQA Media Studies - A
    I am predicted 7 A's and 3 B's for the 2017 GCSE's!are these considered good? and can someone also tell me how i can improve on Spanish (Edexcel specification)!Good Luck next year!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone has a complete set of final notes yet and I don't think it would be wise to have done that anyway. We have an academic year ahead of us and for it to be expected of us to have full sets of notes isn't realistic. I don't think one can truly say when notes are final anyway because revision is always a work in progress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    I don't think anyone has a complete set of final notes yet and I don't think it would be wise to have done that anyway. We have an academic year ahead of us and for it to be expected of us to have full sets of notes isn't realistic. I don't think one can truly say when notes are final anyway because revision is always a work in progress.
    Yeah, I wanted to make notes myself but haven't got round to doing it. Anyways, I don't think notes are the best for revision anyways especially for subjects like Maths where practice is better. In terms of time, we don't have long as time does fly quickly but I hope everyone will do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTran38)
    Yeah, I wanted to make notes myself but haven't got round to doing it. Anyways, I don't think notes are the best for revision anyways especially for subjects like Maths where practice is better. In terms of time, we don't have long as time does fly quickly but I hope everyone will do well.
    You're right that time does fly but I do also think that TSR forums make it seem like everyone needs to be prepared really early and revising every day. We haven't even started year 11 yet, we'll be okay.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have advice for making sure you meet your predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    You're right that time does fly but I do also think that TSR forums make it seem like everyone needs to be prepared really early and revising every day. We haven't even started year 11 yet, we'll be okay.
    Revising everyday is a bit too much and revision should be manageable chunks. Although I'm a bit apprehensive about Year 11 as I'm sure some others are, I think I can manage the pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    Does anyone have advice for making sure you meet your predicted grades?
    For Maths, practice is always essential. For other subjects, go through weaker areas by doing "gap analysis" which is essentially revising over the content again etc. You can also have a look at the OP for some ideas, will add more soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTran38)
    Revising everyday is a bit too much and revision should be manageable chunks. Although I'm a bit apprehensive about Year 11 as I'm sure some others are, I think I can manage the pressure.
    I'm incredibly apprehensive about Year 11 which is why I'm trying to calm myself down by telling myself it will all be fine aha. What are your predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    I'm incredibly apprehensive about Year 11 which is why I'm trying to calm myself down by telling myself it will all be fine aha. What are your predictions?
    If you speak of predictions based on KS2 results, I'm predicted all As but I believe I can do much better.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,starting year 11 from tomorrow,so thought I might introduce myself.

I am doing 11 GCSE's which are as follows:
    WJEC English language - English language on WJEC is not too bad.
    WJEC English literaure- I really hate this subject.
    Edexcel maths - Working on new spec;prefer the old spec cus it was an easy A*.
    OCR Core science - Done this subject in year 10.
    OCR Additional Science - I'm pretty comfortable with science,so no problem.
    OCR RE - good subject;having no problem.
    OCR Geography- need to convince my teacher that I am capable of doing higher tier paper.
    OCR Gujarati- Free A* coming.
    EDEXCEL History - Hate this subject.
    EDEXCEL ICT - the exam is not awful,considering that the grade boundries are relatively low.Hate that Animal Shelter coursework.
    AQA DT (FOOD) - I'm 99.9% sure going to fail this subject.

I am looking forward to year 11 and the new GCSE's.Let's get on with it!
    My favourite subject,without a doubt,is Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haroony)
    Hi!
    the GCSE's i am currently taking and my predicted grades are
    AQA English Language & Literature - B & B
    Edexcel Mathematics - A
    OCR Triple Science - A - A - A
    Edexcel Spanish - B
    Edexcel Geography - A
    AQA Economics - A
    AQA Media Studies - A
    I am predicted 7 A's and 3 B's for the 2017 GCSE's!are these considered good? and can someone also tell me how i can improve on Spanish (Edexcel specification)!Good Luck next year!
    Hi, I'm doing the same exam boards as you for triple science, geography, English and maths. I also do Edexcel German - so the same spec as Spanish. I just recommend making sure your course work is a grade above your predicted grade. As for listening and reading, learn as much vocab as you can throughout the year related to the topics you cover, and lots and lots of pass papers. My teacher also recommends watching YouTube videos or movies in Spanish, so you get used to listening to the language. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way to improve your English lang and lit by any chance because I'm predicted a 5 in both and would like to be a 6 but for the past year I haven't really improved much. Sorry if that's not alot to go by but I was wondering if anyone could give any help or tips on improving. Thanks in advanced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkypaz123)
    Is there any way to improve your English lang and lit by any chance because I'm predicted a 5 in both and would like to be a 6 but for the past year I haven't really improved much. Sorry if that's not alot to go by but I was wondering if anyone could give any help or tips on improving. Thanks in advanced
    For english lang just do practice from the old spec and lots of it also try reading more and for english lit I would revise the themes and characters for each of the texts you're studying and for the poems I have no idea

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.