The Student Room Group

2016 A-level Remarks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jayemmbee
I dont think this is very helpful comment and Jedwards will be very aware of that now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing... The delay was on the advice from their teacher who almost certainly believed in the anecdotal evidence and statistics from previous cases at their school. They probably feel very guilty for the advice they gave in this case. It was just plain bad luck to have such a poor examiner who marked so badly in the first place and it is the exam boad that is to blame not Jedwards or really the school.
The number of times an original mark is so badly wrong only happens once in a blue moon at any one school.
My husband and I are both maths teachers and it happened to our son too this year in maths C3 by 13 ums, which has never happened at our school before. Our collegue tried to tell my son there was no point in a remark as maths never change. But probably because we are both his collegues we argued the toss more than usual parents might and we said for it to go for the priority remarking anyway which came back in his favour.
What I'm trying to say is that none of this awful upset is Jedwards fault and maybe a tad of sympathy would have been a better idea.
Jedwards, I hope that you are able to eventually move on from this awful time and gain a place for 2017 at a uni that is right for you and find something suitable to fill your forced gap year. Good luck.

Thank you, I do agree that it was perhaps not the best comment.

I appreciate that you understand the peculiarity of the situation, as like you say, such a huge increase is extremely rare (my entire AS class remarked last year and not a single mark moved, for example.)

Thank you very much though, I'm currently seeking work experience and hopefully I'll be able to get in to my first choice this time round!
Original post by Jayemmbee
I dont think this is very helpful comment.

I said it in the hope that anyone reading it might remember it and go for that option if they found themselves in the same position next year. 3 of our students got into their first choice of university by priority re-marks this year, so it's worth emphasising to people that it is something they should consider if they land up in that position - as has been discussed, it's a very stressful time and knowing your options before hand helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kings_queens
Anyone had unit 5 bio AQA remarked?

I was thinking about it. How did you do in each unit for AQA A level biology mate?
Original post by Ktz98
I sent off biology unit 5 for a remark(AQA). I got A*A*AB and missed my firm choice by 2 ums. I've been waiting for 5 days back and I've heard nothing yet. It's so frustrating as my university place is riding on this!! Has anyone heard back from AQA?

hi mate, got your remark back yet. I got my Biol4 remark today.

how did you do in each unit for Biology?
Sent one of my AS Government and Politics papers off for a remark on the 20th, hasn't come back yet. I got 66 UMS in the paper, which seems dodgy since I got 98 UMS in the other.
CAN SOME ONE HELP PLEASE:

Please reply if you got the result of any of the following remarks back

AQA A level BIOLOGY AS/A2

OCR CHEMISTRY B SALTERS AS/A2

OCR MEI MATHS AS/A2

Could you please specifiy the unit you got remarked and the new result.

I really appreciate it, I really need to find this out. Thanks guys!
Original post by Jillp
Thanks, I'm waiting on AQA Biology, sent off last Thursday

Hi what did you get for the remark then and how did you do in each unit for Biology?
Remarked AQA unit 4 and unit 5 for biology. Overall went up 8 UMS needed 5 for an A. SUPER HAPPY:smile:
Now can apply to medical school with A*AA

NICE!
did you order scripts back first or?
How did you do in each unit for Biology?
Original post by emma_1111
Does anyone know how to work out how many UMS you are away from an a* in AQA biology and OCR MEI maths? Thank you!

Hi what did you get for the remark then and how did you do in each unit for Biology and maths.

I do these subjects too and these exam boards, I could show you how to calculate UMS :smile:
Original post by NeverLucky
AQA, I got all of my A2 exams remarked. My unit 5 went down by 2UMS but my EMPA went up by 4 so overall it got me the A*.

Hi how did you do in each unit for Biology?

Please reply.
Original post by sarahellens
its worth a go esically if you really wnt that A
does your uni depend on this?
also i am still waiting for my bio5 remark, around what time did u receive this ?

Hi what did you get for the remark then and how did you do in each unit for Biology?
I ordered a script from OCR and AQA on 19th September, roughly when should it arrive?
Original post by Kira Yagami
Hi how did you do in each unit for Biology?

Please reply.

I didn't do Biology haha
NICE!
did you order scripts back first or?
How did you do in each unit for Biology?

nope didn't order scripts back. I was five ums from an A overall and got AAC in my modules and AAA in AS modules so was very annoyed. Sent the C (unit 5) for a remark, came back and went up 4 UMS, then sent unit 4 for a remark and it went up two marks and so went over the A boundary.
nope didn't order scripts back. I was five ums from an A overall and got AAC in my modules and AAA in AS modules so was very annoyed. Sent the C (unit 5) for a remark, came back and went up 4 UMS, then sent unit 4 for a remark and it went up two marks and so went over the A boundary.

I got 95 in biol5 so I was going to remark because 98 is a b. However I didn't think science subject examiners are likely to make mistakes with marking so I didn't remark it.

It's too late right too remark it now.

Could you please help as I might be retaking.

What books did you use, did you do the questions in the books and did you do current and old spec papers? Did you do any questions other than past paper ones and do you have any exam tips please. I really need to get an A.
I got 95 in biol5 so I was going to remark because 98 is a b. However I didn't think science subject examiners are likely to make mistakes with marking so I didn't remark it.

It's too late right too remark it now.

Could you please help as I might be retaking.

What books did you use, did you do the questions in the books and did you do current and old spec papers? Did you do any questions other than past paper ones and do you have any exam tips please. I really need to get an A.

Yes sadly the deadline passed 5 days ago. I used the textbook however I used heckgrammar A-Level notes which are amazing and off those i made mind maps, revision cards etc as I'm a visual learner. I started early for unit 4 - before Christmas and before March for unit 5. Sadly something went wrong in the unit 5 paper for me and I couldn't have prepared any more for it.
I did all the past papers, new and old spec and my school had packs of questions and I did a majority of them before study leave and during.
Exam tips- find out what let you down, if you can recall the paper back still do it. How did you score in your practical exam and unit 4.
Yes sadly the deadline passed 5 days ago. I used the textbook however I used heckgrammar A-Level notes which are amazing and off those i made mind maps, revision cards etc as I'm a visual learner. I started early for unit 4 - before Christmas and before March for unit 5. Sadly something went wrong in the unit 5 paper for me and I couldn't have prepared any more for it.
I did all the past papers, new and old spec and my school had packs of questions and I did a majority of them before study leave and during.
Exam tips- find out what let you down, if you can recall the paper back still do it. How did you score in your practical exam and unit 4.

Did you do the questions in the textbook too and until what date did you do the old spec papers up to ( could you please send me a link to the old spec
Papers and the packs of questions your teacher gave you) I got 36 in my practical and 86 in unit 4.

I really appreciate it, thanks. I worked all out but couldn't get an A despite doing better at home doing papers. I just don't know where I go wrong.

Quick Reply