The Current Year 10 Thread (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Last week I had a parents evening with my subject teachers and some of them have told me especially my chemistry, biology, physics and geography teachers that I need to start making notes from my books to revise from in year 11 now. I won't have time to make them in year 11 i'll want to be revising. On the good side 3 of my teachers have said they want a class full of me because I want to do well and I'm always doing the work and wanting to do more. By the way I'm aimed minimum 7s in all my subjects but all my teachers expect higher so 7s and 9s.
    Edit: Also, my teachers have started talking about revision books. My geography teacher is going to be selling the OCR CGP revision guide and workbook cheaply at school and my English teacher has advised me in which ones to buy. For language I'm going to buy the CGP AQA revision guide and workbook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlypower9)
    I finished that topic a few weeks ago. I found it quite easy except for rationalising denominators with surds. I have took lots of extra work home to try and ace it but I'm still not getting them correct every time.
    Make sure you explicitly show your working out so you can work out where you went wrong

ReputationRep:
    Last week I had a parents evening with my subject teachers and some of them have told me especially my chemistry, biology, physics and geography teachers that I need to start making notes from my books to revise from in year 11 now. I won't have time to make them in year 11 i'll want to be revising. On the good side 3 of my teachers have said they want a class full of me because I want to do well and I'm always doing the work and wanting to do more. By the way I'm aimed minimum 7s in all my subjects but all my teachers expect higher so 7s and 9s.
    Edit: Also, my teachers have started talking about revision books. My geography teacher is going to be selling the OCR CGP revision guide and workbook cheaply at school and my English teacher has advised me in which ones to buy. For language I'm going to buy the CGP AQA revision guide and workbook.
    With class notes, I compile them into a little book so that it's easier in year 11 for me to revise as the key information is all there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sardonic Zarah)
    Make sure you explicitly show your working out so you can work out where you went wrong
    Yeah I have and I've realised where I've gone wrong. My teacher has shown some examples and where I have gone wrong too.

ReputationRep:
    With class notes, I compile them into a little book so that it's easier in year 11 for me to revise as the key information is all there
    What I'll probably do is make notes on pieces of paper and put them in a binder with dividers so I can easily find each subject

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing a home language? I think I might do Arabic.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone died?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone died?
    Should become more active now, as it's half term

ReputationRep:
    Have all you guys gotten your tests result?
    For mine i got
    Maths:5
    Physics:6-
    History:7
    English lit: ...3
    English lang:5
    Ict: D-
    r.e:6
    P.e:6-

Ive done alright as some of the tests were full gcse papers.

ReputationRep:
    Year 11 here, have never copied up notes, my books are my notes - that's the point. What's the point of having books if you're just going to rewrite all the notes again anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    Year 11 here, have never copied up notes, my books are my notes - that's the point. What's the point of having books if you're just going to rewrite all the notes again anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You have a true point and I thought that but I think my teachers want it more condensed or in a different form to help revise from. Such as using colours because we are not allowed colours often in our books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forre)
    Have all you guys gotten your tests result?
    For mine i got
    Maths:5
    Physics:6-
    History:7
    English lit: ...3
    English lang:5
    Ict: D-
    r.e:6
    P.e:6-

Ive done alright as some of the tests were full gcse papers.
    Don't stress over them too much as you still have two years to improve. I'm quite envious of your history grade.

ReputationRep:
    You have a true point and I thought that but I think my teachers want it more condensed or in a different form to help revise from. Such as using colours because we are not allowed colours often in our books.
    Why aren't you allowed colours? Our teacher encourages us to use colours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    Why aren't you allowed colours? Our teacher encourages us to use colours
    School policy. Some teachers allow you sometimes to use colour for important bits but the majority of our work has to be completed in black or blue. I work better in colour so when I have the chance to I do make notes in colour. This is why I take notes at home in colour to help me revise.

ReputationRep:
    School policy. Some teachers allow you sometimes to use colour for important bits but the majority of our work has to be completed in black or blue. I work better in colour so when I have the chance to I do make notes in colour. This is why I take notes at home in colour to help me revise.
    That sucks, have you asked the school why that's the case

ReputationRep:
    That sucks, have you asked the school why that's the case
    I haven't asked. I thinks it's just normal to everyone because it was like that in primary school and to my understanding all the schools in the area. However, since I'm on student council I may ask at our next meeting if students studying gcse can use colours more to aid revision. Thanks for make my me think 😊

ReputationRep:
    I haven't asked. I thinks it's just normal to everyone because it was like that in primary school and to my understanding all the schools in the area. However, since I'm on student council I may ask at our next meeting if students studying gcse can use colours more to aid revision. Thanks for make my me think 😊
    Dw every school has nonsensical rules. We have to ask to take our blazers off, that is the most stupid rule

ReputationRep:
    Dw every school has nonsensical rules. We have to ask to take our blazers off, that is the most stupid rule
    We have that rule to but it's not stuck to. Also we have to wear them at all times around school corridors unless it's summer and the principal declares we don't have to

ReputationRep:
    We have that rule to but it's not stuck to. Also we have to wear them at all times around school corridors unless it's summer and the principal declares we don't have to
    i DONT think he is here? like at home to reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayu123)
    i DONT think he is here? like at home to reply
    For **** sakes, I'm a girl. What guy have you met called Zarah, it's obviously a girls name. I'm not constantly on tsr, I have a life. Just leave us alone please

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.