Maths C3 - Trigonometry... Help??

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    Thanks for making realise that! I'm still a little stuck on this question though

If  tan \theta = \frac{3}{4} how do I find  tan \frac{\theta}{4} ?

Sorry if I'm sounding pretty silly, but I've never come across a question like this
    I would simply find what \theta is (as an exact value) from the given condition since we know it is bounded \pi<\theta<\frac{3}{2}\pi. Then substitute it into the formula.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for making realise that! I'm still a little stuck on this question though

If  tan \theta = \frac{3}{4} how do I find  tan \frac{\theta}{4} ?

Sorry if I'm sounding pretty silly, but I've never come across a question like this
    Forgot to mention this, but a more straightforward method of doing this is to do the following mapping: \displaystyle 2\theta \mapsto \theta \Rightarrow \tan(\theta)=\frac{2 \tan(\frac{\theta}{2})}{1-\tan^2(\frac{\theta}{2})} and you know the value of \tan(\theta) so just solve for \tan(\frac{\theta}{2}) by forming a quadratic. Your final angle should satisfy the bound of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    I would simply find what \theta is (as an exact value) from the given condition since we know it is bounded \pi<\theta<\frac{3}{2}\pi. Then substitute it into the formula.
    Ok so solving  tan \theta = \frac{3}{4}

I get...  \theta = 0.6435011088

then I have to substitute theta into...  tan \frac{\theta}{2} = \frac{2 tan \frac{\theta}{4}}{1-tan^2 \frac{\theta}{4}} ??

the only problem is, I don't think I even know how to type something like  tan^2() into my calculator as obviously calculators wont allow you to put 'squared' after tan just before the angle inside the brackets ()

ReputationRep:
    Ok so solving  tan \theta = \frac{3}{4}

I get...  \theta = 0.6435011088

then I have to substitute theta into...  tan \frac{\theta}{2} = \frac{2 tan \frac{\theta}{4}}{1-tan^2 \frac{\theta}{4}} ??

the only problem is, I don't think I even know how to type something like  tan^2() into my calculator as obviously calculators wont allow you to put 'squared' after tan just before the angle inside the brackets ()
    Think about what \tan^2\theta means : it means "\tan\theta squared" i.e. \left(\tan\theta\right)^2

So to work out something like \tan^2 1.2 on your calculator you would type in (\tan 1.2)^2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Think about what \tan^2\theta means : it means "\tan\theta squared" i.e. \left(\tan\theta\right)^2

So to work out something like \tan^2 1.2 on your calculator you would type in (\tan 1.2)^2.
    Thank you it turns out I knew how to type it into my calculator but my workings were letting me down!
    But I managed to get there in the end!!

\theta = 0.6435011088, 3.785093762

But since...  \pi < \theta < \frac{3 \pi}{2}

then...
     \theta \not= 0.6435011088 

\theta = 3.785093762

Then sub theta into... tan \frac{\theta}{2} = \frac{2 tan \frac{\theta}{4}}{1-tan^2 \frac{\theta}{4}}

So this gives me...  tan \frac{\theta}{2} = \frac{2 tan (\frac{3.785..}{4})}{1-tan^2 (\frac{3.785..}{4})}

tan \frac{\theta}{2} = -3

Thanks a lot for your help!

...And thanks RDKGames too! You really helped me out on this one!

ReputationRep:
    So I've found myself hitting a brick wall (yet again) with another question...
    Name:  C3 EXE7B Q10.png
Views: 12
Size:  2.6 KB

I've drawn the following...
    Attachment 586832586834

I realise that I can't use what I've learnt from C2 and apply the 'cosine rule' or 'sine rule'. I can't seem to progress anywhere with this question. All I can work out from the diagram that I've drawn is that angleBAC =  180-3 \theta

Unless I have to think of the line AC = 5cm as the Hypotenuse and use the fact that H^2 = O^2 + A^2 in order to find the opposite side of the triangle? But this only works with right angled triangles
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    So I've found myself hitting a brick wall (yet again) with another question...
    Name:  C3 EXE7B Q10.png
Views: 12
Size:  2.6 KB

I've drawn the following...
    Attachment 586832586834

I realise that I can't use what I've learnt from C2 and apply the 'cosine rule' or 'sine rule'. I can't seem to progress anywhere with this question. All I can work out from the diagram that I've drawn is that angleBAC =  180-3 \theta
    Remember \frac{sin(A)}{a} =\frac{sin(B)}{b} and sin2A = 2sin(A)cos(A)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    Remember \frac{sin(A)}{a} =\frac{sin(B)}{b} and sin2A = 2sin(A)cos(A)
    Oh right. So I was wrong, I do actually have to use the 'sine rule'. I thought I could only do that if I have two side lengths (which there are) and at least one of their opposite angles (in degrees or radians) to find the missing angle, but both angles are missing, so what do I do?

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. So I was wrong, I do actually have to use the 'sine rule'. I thought I could only do that if I have two side lengths (which there are) and at least one of their opposite angles (in degrees or radians) to find the missing angle, but both angles are missing, so what do I do?
    In this case you can use the sine rule in terms of theta rearrange and use double angle identities, then solve.

ReputationRep:
    In this case you can use the sine rule in terms of theta rearrange and use double angle identities, then solve.
    Ok, so using the sine rule I would do...

\frac{sin2 \theta}{5} = \frac{sin \theta}{4}

sin2 \theta = \frac{5sin \theta}{4}

Apply double angle formula for sin...
     2sin \theta cos \theta = \frac{5sin \theta}{4}

not sure I actually know what I'm doing here/next

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so using the sine rule I would do...

\frac{sin2 \theta}{5} = \frac{sin \theta}{4}

sin2 \theta = \frac{5sin \theta}{4}

Apply double angle formula for sin...
     2sin \theta cos \theta = \frac{5sin \theta}{4}

not sure I actually know what I'm doing here/next
    rearrange so you have 0 on the RHS, factorise and solve each factor equaling 0. Then reject the obvious wrong one.

ReputationRep:
    rearrange so you have 0 on the RHS, factorise and solve each factor equaling 0. Then reject the obvious wrong one.
    Thanks a lot! Managed to work out the answer as \theta = 51.31781255

ReputationRep:
    Can someone try to help understand this question...
    Name:  C3 EXE7B Q12.png
Views: 28
Size:  4.6 KB

I've drawn out a little diagram of what I think this question is describing...
    Attachment 586964586966

I understand that tan is +ve in the 1st & 3rd quadrant which shows for  y= \frac{3}{4}x ... But how do I find out the value of  tan \theta ? Does it have something to do with the gradient of line L :  y = \frac{3}{4}x ??
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Can someone try to help understand this question...
    Name:  C3 EXE7B Q12.png
Views: 28
Size:  4.6 KB

I've drawn out a little diagram of what I think this question is describing...

I understand that tan is +ve in the 1st & 3rd quadrant which shows for  y= \frac{3}{4}x ... But how do I find out the value of  tan \theta ? Does it have something to do with the gradient of line L :  y = \frac{3}{4}x ??
    \tan(\theta) is the gradient. It is easy to see if you refer to your unit circle; as sine is the vertical distance, and cosine is the horizontal distance. Vertical over horizontal gives the gradient, or tan in this case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    \tan(\theta) is the gradient. It is easy to see if you refer to your unit circle; as sine is the vertical distance, and cosine is the horizontal distance. Vertical over horizontal gives the gradient, or tan in this case.
    Oh yeah because of "SOH" and "CAH"...
    \frac{sin \theta}{1} = sin \theta which gives the vertical distance and...
    \frac{cos \theta}{1} = sin \theta which gives the horizontal distance.

This means coordinates of where y= \frac{3}{4}x meets the unit circle is...
     (cos \theta , sin \theta)
    (4,3)

because...  tan \theta = \frac{sin \theta}{cos \theta} = \frac{3}{4}

Thank you soooooo much

ReputationRep:
    Came across this question last night (part (i)), and have come home from work to attempt it again but I still find myself stuck
    Name:  C3 EXE7C Q1.png
Views: 16
Size:  8.4 KB

For part (i) I've managed to get up to...
     \frac{1-tan x}{1+tan x}

I've used the identity  tan \theta = \frac{sin \theta}{cos\theta} and have done a lot of re-arranging of the equation only to end up with...
     \frac{cos^3x - sinx}{cos^3x + sinx} which I have a feeling isn't right and is stopping me from progressing any further :/

ReputationRep:
    Came across this question last night (part (i)), and have come home from work to attempt it again but I still find myself stuck
    Name:  C3 EXE7C Q1.png
Views: 16
Size:  8.4 KB

For part (i) I've managed to get up to...
     \frac{1-tan x}{1+tan x}

I've used the identity  tan \theta = \frac{sin \theta}{cos\theta} and have done a lot of re-arranging of the equation only to end up with...
     \frac{cos^3x - sinx}{cos^3x + sinx} which I have a feeling isn't right and is stopping me from progressing any further :/
    Your working is correct until you said

\displaystyle \frac{cos^3x - sinx}{cos^3x + sinx}

It should be this instead

\displaystyle \frac{cos x - sin x}{cos x + sin x}

From here I would recommend multiplying top and bottom by

\displaystyle cos x - sin x

Have another go and post your working if you still get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Your working is correct until you said

It should be this instead

\displaystyle \frac{cos x - sin x}{cos x + sin x}

From here I would recommend multiplying top and bottom by

\displaystyle cos x - sin x

Have another go and post your working if you still get

But how do I get from...
     \frac{1-tan x}{1+tan x}

to..
    \frac{cos x - sin x}{cos x + sinx}??

ReputationRep:
    But how do I get from...
     \frac{1-tan x}{1+tan x}

to..
    Multiply top and bottom by cosine.

ReputationRep:
    But how do I get from...
     \frac{1-tan x}{1+tan x}

to..
     \displaystyle \frac{1-tan x}{1+tan x} = \frac{1-\frac{\sin x}{\cos x}}{1+\frac{\sin x}{\cos x}}

The next step is to multiply top and bottom of the fraction by \cos x.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.