Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trance addict)
    I put the big bang for the first one
    second was something about nuclear fusion making them
    third was stars exploding

im sure it said where did the elements come from/are made so i put the big bang that question was very fragmented and stupid though
    i put fusion for the first then in stars then supernovae

ReputationRep:
    What did people get for the "why do scientists make this claim even though a small portion of the Universe has been studied?" or something like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piece_by_piece)
    Whoops, I put reflection Even the bloody question said "the refraction of light" or whatever the hell it said. Not a good start, getting the first question wrong! Hahaha. Also, for the ultrasound question, I got 90mm, but did you have to write mm or was that provided? I don't remember as I was in such shock due to it being an awful paper.
    it was 90 mm, i think you had to write the unit

what did everyone get for that stupid concrete brick question? i just blagged that it changes the perpendicular distance so less force is applied (i think i wrote that!) my brain was on auto pilot for a lot of that exam.. and piece i found that paper better than the january/possibly the specimen

i was going to thik that the plastic cups question might be on there! theyve tested generating of electricity every single time now I think

ReputationRep:
    btw what were the 3 marks for in the concrete blocks? i said : counterbalances, reduces moment and makes it easier + less likely to break

ReputationRep:
    Oh damn, didn't realise the diagram was scaled :s I'll still get mark for working though. I needed 84 UMS today for an A*, which will probably be around 30 marks on this paper. Looking through I reckon I got at least 35.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I mis-interpreted that one. Don't know what I put
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by MarcusLL)
    i put fusion for the first then in stars then supernovae
    Yeah, I put that.

ReputationRep:
    Magnification: 0.35
    Distance of crack within metal: 90
    Coils of wire on secondary within transformer: 10500
    Device inside Camera: LDR
    The dotted line on the first question was: Normal
    'r' stood: for angle of refraction
    Reasons for different orbit speeds were: Speed and courses of satellites might be artificially modified so the relationship will not be constant; Some satellites may use rockets to change/maintain altitude/velocity (these might be the same answers )
    Moon had constant circular orbit because its orbit was stable, i.e. it doesn't get closer or further from the earth (to a more than negligible degree) because the centripetal force, gravity was equal to the force which would cause it to move along the tangent. (this is a completely blagged answer, anyone got a better one?)
    Increasing the distance from the center of the millennium eye would decrease the resultant force.
    Elements on Earth were created from Nuclear Fusion in stars, though not our own as it is not old enough, its more likely to be from a dead star. These were scattered by a supernova at the end of the stars life.
    Transformer question:
    The current in the wire induces a magnetic field in the magnet. Due to the current oscillating, the magnetic field in the magnet will also oscillate. This magnetic field intersects the secondary coil of wire. This causes the electrons in the wire to move back and forth due to the oscillation of the magnetic field. This causes an A.C. output. Should there be a greater area of wire in the secondary wire, more electrons will move back and forth, which will increase the voltage induced in the wire.

Thats the limit of my memory. Anyone disagree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scal)
    btw what were the 3 marks for in the concrete blocks? i said : counterbalances, reduces moment and makes it easier + less likely to break
    it acts as the anticlockwise moment and counterbalances the clockwise moment of 810000Nm or something. Principle of moments applies here as their is no overall turning force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trance addict)
    This paper can be summed up by one question
    "People believe you cannot explore space. Why?"

And loads of people got the transformer one wrong They put something about it stepping down when I put how it works + tacked a little bit on about stepping up and down voltages. Slip rings one was good. hoping for 4/5 marks on that since I revised it. Overall it was an OK paper. (I thought P2 was easy and got a B so yeah i'm not going to be too confident about this one )
    Haha that's similar to me - i thought this p2 was ok but i bet i made a bunch of stupid mistakes, and this p3 ive only lost a few so far and i only needed 83 with my crap p2 atm for an A* so HOPEFULLY i have got it. I also hope the vast majority did rubbish so lower boundaries (sorry =p)

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else get 100m/s for the toy thing? Not sure if that was P2 or P3

I thought that went ok-ish..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twitchy)
    Reasons for different orbit speeds were: Speed and courses of satellites might be artificially modified so the relationship will not be constant; Some satellites may use rockets to change/maintain altitude/velocity (these might be the same answers )
    Moon had constant circular orbit because its orbit was stable, i.e. it doesn't get closer or further from the earth (to a more than negligible degree) because the centripetal force, gravity was equal to the force which would cause it to move along the tangent. (this is a completely blagged answer, anyone got a better one?)
    Increasing the distance from the center of the millennium eye would decrease the resultant force.

Looks good. For the London Eye one, you might have had to mention "radius" specifically, but I'm not sure

ReputationRep:
    The moon stayed in orbit due to the gravitational force of attraction between Earth and Moon.

ReputationRep:

i put LDR and film just to be sure. I hope that doesnt negate a mark for putting both. I always got told peppering the target was the way with AQA

ReputationRep:
    It will only negate a mark if the question said "Give ONE reason" etc.. but even if you give more than one, they'll look at the first one only I think.

ReputationRep:
    Elements on Earth were created from Nuclear Fusion in stars, though not our own as it is not old enough, its more likely to be from a dead star. These were scattered by a supernova at the end of the stars life.

I got failry similar to you except for it was angle of reflection and your moon answer i sorta said sommit to do with centripital/gravity force or whatever lol.

ReputationRep:
    The reason why a real image has to be formed by a camera is because real rays must fall onto the film i.e. the light rays must intersect or something

ReputationRep:
    Lol was it refraction or reflection? I put reflection, but I'm not sure..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaderk)
    I got failry similar to you except for it was angle of reflection and your moon answer i sorta said sommit to do with centripital/gravity force or whatever lol.

Um, it wasn't? :confused:

Obviously refraction.. Could be wrong though

ReputationRep:
    btw did everyone get 810000Nm for the moment?

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.