UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by m4n0ran)
Something tells me that's not true. Otherwise it would just say fail or pass surely, and there would be no point in specific scores?
yes but to determine that fail mark they would need to see how well everybody applying had performed and decide on a cut off score. they never have fixed cut off scores each year.
m4n0ran
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Princess_)
Nah it is true. Certain universities have requirements in the UKCAT score. So if you go below that requirement they wont consider you. For each uni, the minimum score is different.
Ok, I guess that's fair enough, however surely someone with a ridiculously high score should get more recognition? Well, I don't know Maybe a lot of candidates guess a fair amount of answers so a high score would just be considered luck.
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Something tells me that's not true. Otherwise it would just say fail or pass surely, and there would be no point in specific scores?
Different universities put a different weighting on it and consequently have different cut off scores. Some have pre-set cut offs, some will alter the cut off to pass a certain percentage or number of applicants, some will take the score into consideration alongside statements and the rest of it. :rolleyes:
Isometrix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok, I guess that's fair enough, however surely someone with a ridiculously high score should get more recognition? Well, I don't know Maybe a lot of candidates guess a fair amount of answers so a high score would just be considered luck.
probably, but after you get called for interview...i don't think they care about your ukcat score anymore...(if someone could verify this)

yeh luck does play quite a bit on it...which i guess is one of the drawbacks and may be one of the reasons they're thinking of scrapping it altogether. because the last 1-2 minutes is more or less "click and hope" for each section.
Princess_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmm yeah. But imagine, there could be people who were having bad days, so for example, they might of gotten 630 instead of their potential 720. There could be people who had gotten good scores on 2 sections but messed up on the other 2, which brought their average down. So it would be unfair to only consider people with say above 750 or something.
m4n0ran
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok, thanks for clearing that up both
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
probably, but after you get called for interview...i don't think they care about your ukcat score anymore...(if someone could verify this)
Of course they don't, if you're offered an interview they're generally happy that you've met the academic criteria.
50PH///
Report 10 years ago
got mine on tuesday
i'm no superman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I really don't know what to do anymore. I feel so sad at the moment and am stuck about what to do. I want to reschedule my UKCAT because I feel that sitting it on the 12th - next Tuesday - is too soon and I can just envisage myself coming out of the centre with a score below 600 and kicking myself for taking it early.

I'm more stressed about results day. I've just got a bad feeling about that week and I can't help thinking that way. I know this sounds really silly but I do often get these senses and they're usually right most of the time. I'm going to get grades that will range from ABBB to AAAA and these results basically will form my predicted grades which are hugely important for my application to study medicine. I don't know if I'm just being overly pessimistic, paranoid, or getting cold feet / nerves - heck it might even be due to the fact that it is past 3am in the morning which is when everything is on my mind.

The other area of conflict here is I'm struggling with my personal statement. I've got all the experience, dedication, and passion but it's just not reflecting well on paper. Doing the UKCAT early and getting through results day will allow me to concentrate on the P.S solely which is what I feel will allow me to get somewhere with it.

It doesn't help that my parents are away in Venice for the week and I could really do with someone to talk this through but then again it's not fair for me to ruin their time together as a couple. My older sister doesn't really know what to say (or care) but I can't leave this matter till my parents get back because it'll be like three days before the booked test date.

What should I do? I've done a fair bit of practice questions from the UKCAT site, the book everyone has, and the links via the sticky thread on TSR and I'll be honest and say that I'm struggling a lot with it. At this stage just over one week before I supposedly sit the UKCAT, I have little self-confidence and optimism which I've been told is important on the day. God knows how I'll feel on the night before and on the day.

(Sorry this was a lot longer than I anticipated!)
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't move your UKCAT. If it was a thing you could revise for, then I'd say go for it but it's not sp you'd just be denying the inevitable. I'm pretty sure you'll do better than you think anyway. At one of the open day things, I'm sure they say it's designed so the average applicant will get half the answers wrong. So looking at it from that point of view, it's not that bad. You'll regret if you move it, as it will just cause more worrying for a longer time. Nobody wants that.

Results - nothing you can do. I know it's hard but just try and relax. Everyone's in the same boat. Even ABBB isn't tragic, there are people who've got in with less as AS level grades aren't really taken into account.

I emphasise with the PS situation. Writing mine i'm coming across as such a <insert appropriate word>. I don't get how you can sound good, or even normal on these things. It's not natural to big yourself up like this. I'm all about the modesty :p:
Isometrix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think you should reschedule and do it when you feel comfortable. there's no point going into it with such low morale which will affect your performance. theres a UKCAT preparation course at imperial in early september...you might want to look at that. costs about £80 and it says past attendees have benefited from a higher ukcat score ...
even if you get ABBB you can still apply to universities where they consider only your A2 predictions (i think manchester is one?)...so you can just work like hell and suck up to your teachers start of A2 to get some good predicted grades.
still have a long time to write your PS. go get advice from the PS helper forum, they're a great help.
jenifaar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
at the end of the day, you can't change how you did in your AS's, and im sure you'll have done fine. it's easy to look back on them months after and stress that they went badly - everyone is doing that to an extent right now. all you can do is wait and see how they go, and assess the situation as it were after that.

as for your UKCAT, i felt similar about mine before i did it, and was close to rescheduling it - but figured that since you arent meant to be able to prepare for it, giving myself extra time wouldn't be of benefit. so if you think it would help, by all means reschedule - but remember it feels great to know it's out of the way, and it'll be one less thing to stress about.

finally, your PS probably reflects you in a positive light better than you feel it does - when you're reading it over and over again, it's easy to feel it lacks passion and whatever else. if you get results and the UKCAT out the way as you say, you'll be able to concentrate on that.

so yeah, basically, i'd say reschedule if you're really panicky. but you have no reason to be, i'm sure you'll do fab, and on the day will get through it - after all, you aren't meant to be able to revise for it. just go for it, and good luck!
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Renal has nailed it on the head. Different unis use it for different things. It's true, if you get below XXX you will be flat out rejected at some universities.
i'm no superman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I'm just going to sit it next Tuesday and go for it. Thanks to the three of you above who gave me some warm advice about the matter. What will be will be at the end of the day.
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
Yeah I'm just going to sit it next Tuesday and go for it. Thanks to the three of you above who gave me some warm advice about the matter. What will be will be at the end of the day.

Just so you know, I sat there the whole entire time thinking I failed. I did not get even half-way through the maths bit. You cannot prepare for it, like everyone said. It is a combination of working quickly and efficiently.

I would like to know if people think my scores are competitive for Kings. Is the unofficial cut-off 650 or 600?

verbal (720)
quantitative (650)
abstract (640)
decision analysis (680)

I feel like they are good scores, but loads of people on this forum seem to be getting some really crazy marks!
i'm no superman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by iheartvet)
Just so you know, I sat there the whole entire time thinking I failed. I did not get even half-way through the maths bit. You cannot prepare for it, like everyone said. It is a combination of working quickly and efficiently.

I would like to know if people think my scores are competitive for Kings. Is the unofficial cut-off 650 or 600?

verbal (720)
quantitative (650)
abstract (640)
decision analysis (680)

I feel like they are good scores, but loads of people on this forum seem to be getting some really crazy marks!
That's a fab score and I'd say you have a very high chance of getting selected for an interview at Kings with a score like that. They didn't announce any cut-off score at the open day last week but they did specify that they rank the top scorers and select them for first interviews.

Are you serious about the whole thinking you failed while doing it scenario? You nailed the verbal reasoning, the hardest section in my opinion. Tell us more about what happened - i.e running out of time, guesses...etc.
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Honestly, the whole time...even in verbal I thought to myself - I cannot believe how badly I am doing. I never felt confident about my answers at all. In the maths section I was trying to work quickly and did not get half-way through and then I had to guess the rest. With the abstract reasoning I think you have to work quickly: if you are not sure you should mark an answer and move on and then come back to it again later if you have time. The decision analysis I normally have extra time for, but not on the actual exam this time, for some reason. I think I was watching the clock too much! I did not think at any point 'oh I definitely am sure about that answer'. So, my advice to you is, even if you think you are doing badly, it is marked in such a way that you are expected to get many wrong/guess on the ones you do not get to.
Just make sure you get on with it and do not get emotional. That is my best advice to you.
Princess_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by iheartvet)

verbal (720)
quantitative (650)
abstract (640)
decision analysis (680)

You did brilliant! They are good scores and you should be happy

And you aced the verbal reasoning section and I agree with !MEna, in that, that section is the hardest. Well IMO, it is anyway. So well done :yy:

Now if only I got a score like that.. Meh. I got all the way until the 20th and I feel nervous already.
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did not do brilliantly on the exam and managed to get those scores, so I am sure you will be able to do the same or better. Just remember not to judge yourself why you are doing it. Just get through the whole thing and then you will see your score.
Holsy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well done, iheartvet!

Argh. Moan: Just found out I have to work on the date I booked the UKCAT- Aug 13th (Didn't have a job at the time.) Argh. Don't know when to reschedule to or how as a matter of fact. Any help would be appreciated. I know I have to do it before one working day of the planned test date.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (146)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.53%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.37%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (185)
48.68%

Watched Threads