Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why are the polls still tied I thought this election was meant to be a walkover for the lefties this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    Sure, it's hard to tell if politicians are revealing their actual motives or simply revealing motives they think will go down with the electorate. I would nonetheless think that a large chunk of America would balk at a president claiming that divine inspiration guided his policies rather than careful research and conference, but of course we're just speculating.
    To make things clear... most American politicians don't claim divine inspiration (that would be going a bit too far...), what they mean is 'with God's Blessing... we would succeed... ' God will help us because we are doing the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123monster)
    To make things clear... most American politicians don't claim divine inspiration (that would be going a bit too far...), what they mean is 'with God's Blessing... we would succeed... ' God will help us because we are doing the right thing.
    True, but Bush did say that God told him to invade Iraq, for instance.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the words you use, but the impression you make. As an American it never ebtered my mind that he might have meant that God actually spoke to him...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maze.e)
    Yeah I was reading an article in the Guardian and they way literally saying macians going to get the women vote because its the closet they will come in this election to getting a female in the oval office. There is a good chance she would take presidency IMO if macain wins, I actually don't think macain will be able to survive 8 years in office.
    I doubt he'll be living long enough to survive it and judging by what I've read about her should she be president America's going to be ****ed. Amongst many other things she belongs to a particularly bat***** insane church assembly who speak in tongues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Nope, that's factually inaccurate unless you start counting virtually the whole outlying countryside from cities as part of its 'urban area'.

Anyway, as for experience - what 'experience' do you want a politician to have exactly? It seems to me that being a state governor is the best experience for President in a presidential system of government; but even so, what do you need experience of? You make policy as a politician, you do not implement it.

what expirience does a president need?

I think obama has enough expirience, he turned down a prestigeous job working for a good law firm to become a community supporter and to work with people.

Palin on the other hand recently said that governers shouldn't earwig (ask for the fed reserves money to spend on their state) when in fact, out of all the governers she ear wigged the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuseValheru)
    If I were American I would vote for McCain. I would much rather somebody of substance was in charge. Nobody can doubt the mans character. I would much rather somebody I trust was in charge than somebody I doubt.
    ok, tell me which of mccains policies you agree with and trust, and which of obamas policies you disagree with and doubt.

you don't even know what they stand for.

ReputationRep:
    For all the flack Palin gets, she's damned effective...

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ..._same_of_biden

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phillysteakwrap)
    True, but I thought Palin was a staunch supporter of abstinence during teen years to reduce teenage pregnancies?
    she was.

ReputationRep:
    No he didn't. You posted the same lie a few months ago and I refuted you then. The white house denied it and Abbas denies it, so cut the BS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    what expirience does a president need?

I think obama has enough expirience, he turned down a prestigeous job working for a good law firm to become a community supporter and to work with people.

Palin on the other hand recently said that governers shouldn't earwig (ask for the fed reserves money to spend on their state) when in fact, out of all the governers she ear wigged the most.
    I would argue executive experience, and foreign policy experience are necessary. Of course Obama has neither, and McCain has both(Commanded a navy fleet[or something of the sort lol ] and a senator on several foreign relations committees and such).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    I would argue executive experience, and foreign policy experience are necessary. Of course Obama has neither, and McCain has both(Commanded a navy fleet[or something of the sort lol ] and a senator on several foreign relations committees and such).

What good is experience.

Jobs only require experience because it helps you do the job better.

90% of mccains policies are the same as bush's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    You mean like the repercussions that happened after this?

Seems Bush agrees with Obama on this...
    Yes, I saw that, so I guess I'll have take that observation back!

But while for you, that makes Bush a sage for agreeing with Obama, for me it makes Obama even more of an idiot for agreeing with Bush

ReputationRep:
    I would vote for Obama. How many people seriously want Palin's "absistence-only" sex-ed program replacing the current one, especially since it doesnt work? And her "I hear the voice of god telling me the Iraq war is good" attitude is typical conservative Republican, where's the change from Bush's administration there? Dont think McCain has the guts to pull out of Iraq quick enough, and I feel the same old lobbyists and right-wing"conservatives" will retain their power thus making sure the US, and ultimately the world, suffers a little bit more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    No he didn't. You posted the same lie a few months ago and I refuted you then. The white house denied it and Abbas denies it, so cut the BS
    ? I only found out about that 2 days ago so unless I'm suffering from Alzheimers I think you mistake me for someone else...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    You mean like the repercussions that happened after this?

Seems Bush agrees with Obama on this...
    Hah when Bush and Obama agree, it is good on Bush. When McCain and Bush agree, it is "DA SAMEZ DAT AINT CHANGIN DATS DA SAMEZ!". Not a shot on you btw, just an observation I commonly see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123monster)
    since you've got such strong research skills

ReputationRep:
    What good is experience.

Jobs only require experience because it helps you do the job better.

90% of mccains policies are the same as bush's.
    The flag in the top right corner of your post makes that a bad thing. The flag in the top right corner of my posts makes that a good thing. I smell a circular argument brewing, lets leave this debate to someone else. And equating Bush to McCain is silly. You should have seen those to go at it in 2004 :p:

ReputationRep:
    Interesting to see this ad from the McCain camp:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LK4oWay1VbE

Just read the sources listed...
    http://factcheck.org/elections-2008/...r_finding.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1220...olitical_diary

It's no surprise, then, that Democrats have airdropped a mini-army of 30 lawyers, investigators and opposition researchers into Anchorage, the state capital Juneau and Mrs. Palin's hometown of Wasilla to dig into her record and background. My sources report the first wave arrived in Anchorage less than 24 hours after John McCain selected her on August 29.

Nothing on "dig-dirt"!

It's quite shocking really, but most Americans are going to believe this unfortnetly

ReputationRep:
    ok, tell me which of mccains policies you agree with and trust, and which of obamas policies you disagree with and doubt.

you don't even know what they stand for.
    Well firstly I am English and therefore have no vote in this, his internal policies are less likely to affect me than his foreign policy.

Obama's policy of negotiation seems to lack substance, its all well and good on paper, but as highlighted by Iraq and Saddam Hussien people dont always play ball.

McCain on the other hand has stated that the situation in Iran is unacceptable and could threaten the safety of surrounding countries and the Western World. He has stated that he would instigate military action if required. His position is very much military action as a secondary course of action if negotiation fails. Obama hasnt come forward to say this and hides behind negotiations, which throughout history have failed.

McCain believes that the war in Iraq was poorly managed, he believes that troops are required to slowly hand power back to the Iraqi people. Obama on the other hand wishes to form a staged withdrawal with immediate affect as shown by his support of the Iraq De-escalation Act that aimed to have all troops out of Iraq by March this year. This will in my opinion would just make the problem worse as there are too many conflicting parties in the arena.

Iraq and Afghanistan are long term commitments to protect both the Western World and the citizens of the middle east.

The situation with China and its ever strengthening economy. In this case I agree with both Obama and McCain. Obama proposes enforcing all standing trade agreements with China and instigating new agreements, McCain purposes strengthening the military which would in my opinion enable enforcement of trade agreements.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.