Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any advice for a wannabe maths teacher current year 11

In terms of types of experience and personal statements ect ?

ReputationRep:
    Well done to everyone finishing! I have 2 more get ups before my summer holiday begins :yeah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MATHSPOW!!)
    Any advice for a wannabe maths teacher current year 11

In terms of types of experience and personal statements ect ?
    Maths and further maths A level, maths degree at university, as many work experience placements as you can blag your way into, in as many kinds of school as you can manage and then, frankly, as long as you still have a pulse and don't scare the children, you won't have anything to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Maths and further maths A level, maths degree at university, as many work experience placements as you can blag your way into, in as many kinds of school as you can manage and then, frankly, as long as you still have a pulse and don't scare the children, you won't have anything to worry about.
    Hahahah yep I have a feeling A-levels are going to destroy me haha...

I'm doing a week at a primary school in July. Would this count !? And thanks what are the interviews like any advice on what to know beforehand !?

ReputationRep:
    Hahahah yep I have a feeling A-levels are going to destroy me haha...

I'm doing a week at a primary school in July. Would this count !? And thanks what are the interviews like any advice on what to know beforehand !?
    Certainly it will help. Keep your foot in the door so they will have you back whenever you need to top it up. Getting schools to take you is getting increasingly difficult these days. At your age, nobody will except you to know anything. Just go along and do anything you are asked with a willing smile and take along a notebook to record anything you notice about things the teacher does which you can steal in later life.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly it will help. Keep your foot in the door so they will have you back whenever you need to top it up. Getting schools to take you is getting increasingly difficult these days. At your age, nobody will except you to know anything. Just go along and do anything you are asked with a willing smile and take along a notebook to record anything you notice about things the teacher does which you can steal in later life.
    Haha ok yeh I'm helping out in a year five class... There was mention of a photocopier machine.. I guess I'll know how to use one by the end. And yeh I had to contact about 6 schools before one was actually willing to take me on haha. Do you think they'd be willing to offer me more experience in the future then haha !? Also would it be possible to get work experience helping out in maths lessons at a secondary school whilst I'm in the sixth form or not !? I'm concerned this will be hard to arrange... There was this one boy who helped out in a few on my lessons but he had an A* for A-level maths so I guess he was more qualified than the teachers themselves haha !!

ReputationRep:
    Haha ok yeh I'm helping out in a year five class... There was mention of a photocopier machine.. I guess I'll know how to use one by the end. And yeh I had to contact about 6 schools before one was actually willing to take me on haha. Do you think they'd be willing to offer me more experience in the future then haha !? Also would it be possible to get work experience helping out in maths lessons at a secondary school whilst I'm in the sixth form or not !? I'm concerned this will be hard to arrange... There was this one boy who helped out in a few on my lessons but he had an A* for A-level maths so I guess he was more qualified than the teachers themselves haha !!
    It's up to you to keep the contact going. I'm sure if you are uber-willing, helpful and considerate they will be happy to help you out. As for the senior school experience, you just have to keep on asking until one says yes. As for photocopiers, there's nothing to them until the paper jams. Then it's game over.

ReputationRep:
    It's up to you to keep the contact going. I'm sure if you are uber-willing, helpful and considerate they will be happy to help you out. As for the senior school experience, you just have to keep on asking until one says yes. As for photocopiers, there's nothing to them until the paper jams. Then it's game over.
    Hahha ok I'll take note lol... It shouldn't be too hard !? I've gotta be there at half 8 to like help set up the class and stuff should be fun I dunno I'm just worried about like break and lunch like am I gonna chill in the classroom with the teachers !? Ahhhh haha I'm sure they're nice and all but I feel so young !? Ahh I'll bring my phone... And ok thanks haha guess I'll do a lot of emailing... Think the smaller schools are easier to get hold of hahaa... I'll probably specific year sevens or something

ReputationRep:
    Hahha ok I'll take note lol... It shouldn't be too hard !? I've gotta be there at half 8 to like help set up the class and stuff should be fun I dunno I'm just worried about like break and lunch like am I gonna chill in the classroom with the teachers !? Ahhhh haha I'm sure they're nice and all but I feel so young !? Ahh I'll bring my phone... And ok thanks haha guess I'll do a lot of emailing... Think the smaller schools are easier to get hold of hahaa... I'll probably specific year sevens or something
    I would hope they'd make you welcome in the staff room, but you are in a difficult position at your age, and being without CRB clearance they won't leave you alone anywhere. Just smile a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I would hope they'd make you welcome in the staff room, but you are in a difficult position at your age, and being without CRB clearance they won't leave you alone anywhere. Just smile a lot.
    Yeh I'm getting quite worried it's annoying cause it isn't near the town the school it's in this deprived area so I can't exactly just wonder about outside lol... Hmmm this should be interestingggg. maybe I could photocopy myself and they won't notice I've sneaked out hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I'm getting quite worried it's annoying cause it isn't near the town the school it's in this deprived area so I can't exactly just wonder about outside lol... Hmmm this should be interestingggg. maybe I could photocopy myself and they won't notice I've sneaked out hahaha
    Well, maybe. If it's that bad, they'll keep you inside for your own protection.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to all those finishing the course successfully!!!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lantan)
    Feeling very jealous of you, guys, as I'm staying on to the end of term; even if it's paid, I still need the rest desperately and start feeling the fatigue settling in my bones. I thought that after getting getting through the final assessment it would be easier, but it's the busiest period in the school...
    No rest for the wicked. I started my job two weeks ago so I feel your pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lantan)
    Feeling very jealous of you, guys, as I'm staying on to the end of term; even if it's paid, I still need the rest desperately and start feeling the fatigue settling in my bones. I thought that after getting getting through the final assessment it would be easier, but it's the busiest period in the school...
    I'm still at my training school this week and next, then I'm going to take over a y6 class at my new school for the rest of term. You're not alone! At least you know how things work where you are!

ReputationRep:
    Take the opportunity at break and lunch to ask the teachers what hours they work, what they do outside lessons and to just find out about teaching in general. Don't just sit on your phone it's a valuable experience speaking to people who are currently in the profession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Take the opportunity at break and lunch to ask the teachers what hours they work, what they do outside lessons and to just find out about teaching in general. Don't just sit on your phone it's a valuable experience speaking to people who are currently in the profession.
    Haha no that would be pretty rude wouldn't it and yeh I guess haha

ReputationRep:
    When do we get our QTS number?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to all those who are finishing! This was me last year... Would be so nice to finish now this year :P

Haha no that would be pretty rude wouldn't it and yeh I guess haha
    Oh hey it's you from the prom dress thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolololol)
    Good luck to all those who are finishing! This was me last year... Would be so nice to finish now this year :P
    Was about to post the exact same thing. This time last year I had literally just finished, and we had our PGCE ball on the Friday.

I've just got 3 weeks to go because my county seems to break up a week before everyone else. But I can feel it's going to be a tough few weeks - kids are going nuts and we're all running out of ideas!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolololol)

Oh hey it's you from the prom dress thread
    Yeh haha you can tell I'm year 11 then !!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.