Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the whole "the doctor doesn't like soldiers" thing, he never used to when he worked for UNIT, he just did because he had no other choice. I also like the irony and plot it produces with the fact that he himself is a soldier, especially in the time war
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ChildInDisguise)
    A doctor who thread! Yay!

I didn't like the 2nd episode as much as I did with the first one.

Was everyone surprised about Matt Smith? I loved it! I thought it was awesome they brought him back to say goodbye. I felt like he was ripped away from us in the last episode.
    I thought it was smart how Clara considered leaving which probably reflects a lot of the new viewers too.
    I felt so bad for the doctor when he was saying "you can't see me". My eyes teared up. I also thought it was cool that the doctor admitted he thought he could was Clara's boyfriend. I think it shows that he does have a lot of unspoken emotions.

I thought putting the dinosaur in the first episode was a bit bleugh. I liked how the relationship developed between Capaldi and Clara though.
    I did like the idea of a good dalek in the second! I didn't really like the discussion though between the characters. The only bit I really liked was when the dalek could see into the doctor's mind, and the thing that turned him to actually kill was the Doctor's own hatred for them. So ironic.

What does everyone think? Sorry for being slow! My friend hasn't watched the first episode yet so I can't spoil it for her! D:
    :yep: that was the best part, it highlights how they are not so different, and I like how they've kept Capaldi's Doctor a lot more darker and unsure of whether he is good or not. They've hinted to it in previous series but it's become more obvious now, the dinosaur in the previous episode dying, the ambiguous fall of the Droid, instilling hatred into the Daleks.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aula)
    I would love her to be the Master!
    There were a lot of rumours divulging the Master will return for this series, I hope it is Missy!

ReputationRep:
    I think the soldier element in this episode was what I hated most. The doctor always tried to save everyone and I think that we may be moving into a doctor who doesn't care about anyone. I liked the first scene when he asked pink to lower her gone first but seriously felt upset when he left her behind. The doctor knows many soldiers and he hates weapons not the people holding them. He usually believes that people can be saved but I think what the writers are trying to do now is move towards the doctor not wanting to care anymore. After everything in trenzelor I think the doctor is broken and from seeing the war doctor maybe he is trying to avoid soldiers altogether so that he can be good again - or atleast try

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    There were a lot of rumours divulging the Master will return for this series, I hope it is Missy!
    I swear its been confirmed 1000 times that the master is very unlikely to make a return as he thought the master story arc was finished after the tennant era.

Chances are, its not the master
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by alpen)
    I swear its been confirmed 1000 times that the master is very unlikely to make a return as he thought the master story arc was finished after the tennant era.

Chances are, its not the master
    *reads recent article*

Y-you're right:nooo:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    I think the soldier element in this episode was what I hated most. The doctor always tried to save everyone and I think that we may be moving into a doctor who doesn't care about anyone. I liked the first scene when he asked pink to lower her gone first but seriously felt upset when he left her behind. The doctor knows many soldiers and he hates weapons not the people holding them. He usually believes that people can be saved but I think what the writers are trying to do now is move towards the doctor not wanting to care anymore. After everything in trenzelor I think the doctor is broken and from seeing the war doctor maybe he is trying to avoid soldiers altogether so that he can be good again - or atleast try

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah that's what I thought

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't enthusiastic about the episode, but loved the bit where the dalek told the Doctor that he's a good dalek, and then stared at him while it rolled(?) out the room. Dalek's got attitude. If it could wear sunglasses, it totally would have been.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by syrettd)
    Wasn't enthusiastic about the episode, but loved the bit where the dalek told the Doctor that he's a good dalek, and then stared at him while it rolled(?) out the room. Dalek's got attitude. If it could wear sunglasses, it totally would have been.
    Yeah that's a good point

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    :yep: that was the best part, it highlights how they are not so different, and I like how they've kept Capaldi's Doctor a lot more darker and unsure of whether he is good or not, . They've hifrom to it in previous series but it's become more obvious now, the dinosaur in the previous episode dying, the ambiguous fall of the Droid, instilling hatred into the Daleks.
    Ooh it's going to get really interesting! That's true! It's like what syrettd said too as the Dalek said "your a good Dalek" instead. It just proves how prejudiced he is as he isn't so different to them, but he's full of such hatred for them.
    I don't actually like it that the doctor is darker. I think it's an interesting way to explore him but in my eyes the doctor is supposed to be a good man. I knew though from the 50th anniversary he was supposed to be the angry doctor. All he had was a second but from his one look you can tell he's different from the others. O.O

BTW, what happened to Gallifrey? They finished that whole thing with the time Lords coming back and suddenly it's like that never happened? Gah. It's being lazy.
    I wish Doctor who was more simple. I have an awful memory so when episodes link back to many episodes previously, there is no way I can remember. if they're going to continue something, they should atleast put it in the next episode. Instead of creating new ideas all the time. So when they continue an old idea I'm like TF? What is he on about?

I loved that one.

But omg, NEXT WEEK! :woo: :rave:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    I loved that one.

But omg, NEXT WEEK! :woo: :rave:
    I bet you've been waiting ever since you started watching Doctor Who for a Robin Who episode :lol:

(Original post by alpen)
    I bet you've been waiting ever since you started watching Doctor Who for a Robin Who episode :lol:
    Hehehe, I hope they do it justice, I'm so excited :excited:

ReputationRep:
    I quite liked it yesterday.

Into the Dalek, seems to be a good children's playground or interactive exhibit, don't you think? I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a theme park one day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    Hehehe, I hope they do it justice, I'm so excited :excited:
    Fingers crossed they do! I enjoyed this weeks episode, reminded me a bit of the episode ''Dalek'' with the ninth doctor, but I could definitely tell that before dalek was healed, it was going to turn back to its usual hatred state as soon as it was healed (probably just used the doctor to repair itself).

I don't think that's the last we've seen of rusty!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ChildInDisguise)
    Ooh it's going to get really interesting! That's true! It's like what syrettd said too as the Dalek said "your a good Dalek" instead. It just proves how prejudiced he is as he isn't so different to them, but he's full of such hatred for them.
    I don't actually like it that the doctor is darker. I think it's an interesting way to explore him but in my eyes the doctor is supposed to be a good man. I knew though from the 50th anniversary he was supposed to be the angry doctor. All he had was a second but from his one look you can tell he's different from the others. O.O

BTW, what happened to Gallifrey? They finished that whole thing with the time Lords coming back and suddenly it's like that never happened? Gah. It's being lazy.
    I wish Doctor who was more simple. I have an awful memory so when episodes link back to many episodes previously, there is no way I can remember. if they're going to continue something, they should atleast put it in the next episode. Instead of creating new ideas all the time. So when they continue an old idea I'm like TF? What is he on about?
    Interesting indeed, and the 'you're a good Dalek' line was so subtle, they didn't pay much attention to it. I think the "darker" persona comes about randomly through a regeneration and his past, he did seemingly wipe out most of the Daleks and Time Lords in the war, so he's had blood on his hands.. but now that it didn't take place and it was all rewritten, I'm left confused, why does he seem angrier but has sort of rectified his biggest mistakes. It'll probably be explained later on in the series and will likely tie in with all the loose ends, what happened to Gallifrey etc. They haven't said much at all of what happened between the 50th anniversary and the start of this series.

It is getting overly complicated now despite only two episodes, series 5 seemed so much simpler, but Robin Hood next week:wizard:

ReputationRep:
    Would not be surprised (although would be extremely disappointed and pissed off) if Rusty turns up with Vastra, Jenny and Strax at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Would not be surprised (although would be extremely disappointed and pissed off) if Rusty turns up with Vastra, Jenny and Strax at some point.
    Would love Rusty to become an enemy again (but a massive villain rather than a simple dalek), would hate him joining the vastra, jenny and strax coup though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpen)
    Would love Rusty to become an enemy again (but a massive villain rather than a simple dalek), would hate him joining the vastra, jenny and strax coup though
    Would get Rusty tattooed on my forehead, surrounded by hearts, if he exterminated Vastra, Jenny and Strax.

ReputationRep:
    Would get Rusty tattooed on my forehead, surrounded by hearts, if he exterminated Vastra, Jenny and Strax.
    Haha I'd join you :cool: (awkward moment when we regret this in a few months or so)

Tbh I think rusty has the potential to be a great villain, why? because he's seen into the Doctors mind, I can't remember many daleks doing that in the past although I may have forgotten something.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.