Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Mr Speaker, i request that this instance of electioneering be deleted until parliament is no longer dissolved.
    We're not electioneering, merely stating our position on what is a crucial matter that has merited a Parliamentary recall in real life. We think that ahead of the many events that may occur before Parliament opens that the position of a party at the center of our politics and governance on this matter is clear, for the benefit of ourselves and other states. Given that one of our parties will almost certainly be leading Government, will the Conservatives be stating their position on the matter?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    We're not electioneering, merely stating our position on what is a crucial matter that has merited a Parliamentary recall in real life. We think that ahead of the many events that may occur before Parliament opens that the position of a party at the center of our politics and governance on this matter is clear, for the benefit of ourselves and other states. Given that one of our parties will almost certainly be leading Government, will the Conservatives be stating their position on the matter?
    Despite the recall in RL this can wait until parliament reopens especially since this parliament has repeatedly affirmed its belief that terrorists will suddenly leave us alone if we stay out of such conflicts and that the slaughter of other 100, 000 Syrians and displacement of over one million Syrians is not our concern.

Failing that the speaker has not to my knowledge has not permitted any statement, bill or motion during the election period so this is again i say an impressively opportunistic piece of electioneering.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth noting that the UN is a, not the source of international law and inter-national doctrine. It is not the be-all and end-all, even though it makes sitting on your hands so much easier.

ReputationRep:
    The TSR Labour Party hereby reaffirms its commitment to a pacifist foreign policy and announces its opposition to any and all military intervention in Syria. We believe that whilst deplorable acts have been carried out by both sides in this brutal civil war, such intervention is not in the interests of Syrian civilians and that the only purpose served other than economic support of the arms trade would be to heighten tensions both in Syria itself and the wider region, causing further bloodshed. Additionally, we believe that the action being discussed is completely inappropriate given the fact that the UN has yet to determine whether a chemical attack was or was not instigated by the regime, and the Security Council has not permitted any intervention. The TSR Labour Party therefore calls on the next Government to refuse to partake in any such action, and instead work towards supporting the ever-growing number of refugees from the crisis into neighbouring states and on a long-term solution to the tensions in the Middle East that can help to secure a more peaceful future for all.

Saoirse:3, Leader of the TSR Labour Party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyclopsRock)
    It's worth noting that the UN is a, not the source of international law and inter-national doctrine. It is not the be-all and end-all, even though it makes sitting on your hands so much easier.
    This doesn't disagree with that fact. The point is, however, an intervention without a UN mandate is naturally going to be a lot more tenuous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyclopsRock)
    what exactly are the other sources then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Despite the recall in RL this can wait until parliament reopens especially since this parliament has repeatedly affirmed its belief that terrorists will suddenly leave us alone if we stay out of such conflicts and that the slaughter of other 100, 000 Syrians and displacement of over one million Syrians is not our concern.

Failing that the speaker has not to my knowledge has not permitted any statement, bill or motion during the election period so this is again i say an impressively opportunistic piece of electioneering.
    Might I suggest the speaker allows a generic statement to be put out for us to all debate as a group?

Something along the lines of 'The house believes that the crisis in Syria is something of great importance' etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    what exactly are the other sources then?
    David Cameron likes to think he is also a source.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The Liberal Party wholeheartedly agrees with the Labour Party, and urges a diplomatic rather than military solution to the Syrian conflict.

ReputationRep:
    Would TSR Labour like to announce just what they intend to do to the quite reasonable Tuition Fees situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    Would TSR Labour like to announce just what they intend to do to the quite reasonable Tuition Fees situation?
    We won't be making an announcement on this before a Bill is released on the matter. However, we will be sticking to our manifesto commitment to repeal the £9K tuition fees this term.

ReputationRep:
    The TSR Labour Party hereby reaffirms its commitment to a pacifist foreign policy and announces its opposition to any and all military intervention in Syria. We believe that whilst deplorable acts have been carried out by both sides in this brutal civil war, such intervention is not in the interests of Syrian civilians and that the only purpose served other than economic support of the arms trade would be to heighten tensions both in Syria itself and the wider region, causing further bloodshed. Additionally, we believe that the action being discussed is completely inappropriate given the fact that the UN has yet to determine whether a chemical attack was or was not instigated by the regime, and the Security Council has not permitted any intervention. The TSR Labour Party therefore calls on the next Government to refuse to partake in any such action, and instead work towards supporting the ever-growing number of refugees from the crisis into neighbouring states and on a long-term solution to the tensions in the Middle East that can help to secure a more peaceful future for all.

Saoirse:3, Leader of the TSR Labour Party.
    On behalf of the TSR Green Party, I commend you, your party and your direction. We as a party will echo your statement in our joint efforts to prevent involving ourselves in a civil war in Syria.

ReputationRep:
    We won't be making an announcement on this before a Bill is released on the matter. However, we will be sticking to our manifesto commitment to repeal the £9K tuition fees this term.
    What is wrong with the tuition fees out of interest? They are more reasonable (in terms of re-payment) than under the previous RL LABOUR government, and please remember it was a Labour government that introduced tuition fees in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apocrypha)
    David Cameron likes to think he is also a source.
    haha, that's kind of my point in asking him really, I don't see what organisation other than the UN could even claim to be a source of international law...

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with the tuition fees out of interest? They are more reasonable (in terms of re-payment) than under the previous RL LABOUR government, and please remember it was a Labour government that introduced tuition fees in the first place.
    It is arguably more reasonable than the up-front fees, but then again summer work could pay for them as they were only £1k. The £3k fees were better for students, as they paid off less overall and all at the start of their careers while they were less likely to have other commitments such as a mortgage or family. In any case, our policy which is completely distinct from the decisions of real-life Labour, will ensure that students and graduates are better off than at present - that's a promise.

ReputationRep:
    It is arguably more reasonable than the up-front fees, but then again summer work could pay for them as they were only £1k. The £3k fees were better for students, as they paid off less overall and all at the start of their careers while they were less likely to have other commitments such as a mortgage or family. In any case, our policy which is completely distinct from the decisions of real-life Labour, will ensure that students and graduates are better off than at present - that's a promise.
    I'm sorry. What. Do you understand how the fees work? At present those on £9k will pay less than they would on £3k (assuming the £21k bit). Most people will not pay off the £9k a year loans - where as most people will pay off the £3k.

Perhaps this is yet more of TSR Labours lack of ability to understand the economy and finance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry. What. Do you understand how the fees work? At present those on £9k will pay less than they would on £3k (assuming the £21k bit). Most people will not pay off the £9k a year loans - where as most people will pay off the £3k.

Perhaps this is yet more of TSR Labours lack of ability to understand the economy and finance.
    Yes, I do thank you very much. Most people on £9K fees will pay back more over their lifetimes, regardless of the threshold change. It also means they'll pay less at the start - because of the higher threshold - and therefore will probably still be paying when they have families etc. Just because most won't pay off in full doesn't mean much - the vast majority will pay more than they would under the old system. Otherwise, the Government would never have introduced it...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do thank you very much. Most people on £9K fees will pay back more over their lifetimes, regardless of the threshold change. It also means they'll pay less at the start - because of the higher threshold - and therefore will probably still be paying when they have families etc. Just because most won't pay off in full doesn't mean much - the vast majority will pay more than they would under the old system. Otherwise, the Government would never have introduced it...
    How early do you imagine £3k a year grads will pay their loan off? I have a £22k debt and my first year repayment will be £653. I might well plan to have a family before I'm 40. Under the new system repayments will be consistently less for someone earning the same as me so they will be better off when they are young, when they have a family, and at the point in their lives when they probably have the most money they will continue to make smaller repayments whereas I might have stopped.

Doesn't strike me as a terrible system.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    I've moved Labour's statement on Syria into here. I don't want to stifle debate, but I don't think it is appropriate for parties to be releasing statements to the House when we're in the middle of an election and Parliament is dissolved. Rest assured though, the Syria issue is a big one, and I don't anticipate that it will be going away any time soon. There will be plenty of opportunities to debate the topic when parliament re-opens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)
    I've moved Labour's statement on Syria into here. I don't want to stifle debate, but I don't think it is appropriate for parties to be releasing statements to the House when we're in the middle of an election and Parliament is dissolved. Rest assured though, the Syria issue is a big one, and I don't anticipate that it will be going away any time soon. There will be plenty of opportunities to debate the topic when parliament re-opens.
    Completely understand your decision, just wanted to get a debate going as the situation was and still is very fluid and could be completely different by the time Parliament re-opens

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.