Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Seeing as the Oxbridge, law and medicine threads are up and running for the 2015 cycle I figured it's probably about time for the economics thread. This thread can be used for anything related to applying for economics in 2015, including what you think you'll get and where you want to apply
    Personally I'm hoping to go to warwick.

Here's the economics university connect page (new stalking page) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/conn...urse/economics
    Wheres Manchester on the list?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Audi)
    I'm really unsure where to pick, I've got offers from Durham, Nottingham & Edinburgh for L100 econ. I'm not sure which is really best, is there much difference between Durham & Nottingham/Edinburgh?

Also, how do people think management Bsc at LSE stacks up against my other options in terms of prospects, prestige etc. IS TRADING ECON FOR MANAGEMENT A GOOD IDEA? This decision is genuinely running my life right now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not much difference between Notts and Durham but there is a bit of a gap between them and Edinburgh.

Depends, if you really want to study econ, then do econ. Conversely, if you just want good job prospects and don't mind doing management - LSE is the way to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Not much difference between Notts and Durham but there is a bit of a gap between them and Edinburgh.

Depends, if you really want to study econ, then do econ. Conversely, if you just want good job prospects and don't mind doing management - LSE is the way to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply! Would you say that the prospects from LSE management are more than Durham econ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Audi)
    Thanks for the reply! Would you say that the prospects from LSE management are more than Durham econ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's LSE, firms will be scouting around every single day looking for talent. Your degree choice will not influence the 'prosepcts' (a very silly phrase) you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Your degree choice will not influence the 'prosepcts' (a very silly phrase) you have.
    Not necessarily true. Some jobs may require or have a preference towards certain disciplines. Although saying that 95% of jobs out there are unspecified wrt degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts about Bristol? How is the course different from LSE/UCL/Warwick and where is it in terms of prestige? Also the life of the uni compared to these three?

ReputationRep:
    About to firm Leeds (AAA) and put Loughborough (AAB) as insurance, anyone know if either have been lenient if you slip a grade in previous years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon606)
    About to firm Leeds (AAA) and put Loughborough (AAB) as insurance, anyone know if either have been lenient if you slip a grade in previous years
    I emailed Leeds and they said they don't do clearing so they would accept some near misses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flather)
    I emailed Leeds and they said they don't do clearing so they would accept some near misses
    I'm guessing that'll mean one grade, hoping they'll be ok with AAB (with the B in Maths)

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing that'll mean one grade, hoping they'll be ok with AAB (with the B in Maths)

This is exactly what they said:
    "if we then have any places left on the course, we would allocate those to some ‘near-misses’; those students who have narrowly missed the conditions of their offer, i.e. such as achieved AAB and have an offer of AAA. The best of this cohort of students would then be made unconditional offers. Obviously this situation will change every year based on the number of offers met or exceeded versus any places left on the course.

The Business School does not go into Clearing and would rather take applicants who have made us their Firm choice but narrowly missed the conditions of their offer than take someone who did not even make us one of their original five choices."

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly what they said:
    "if we then have any places left on the course, we would allocate those to some ‘near-misses’; those students who have narrowly missed the conditions of their offer, i.e. such as achieved AAB and have an offer of AAA. The best of this cohort of students would then be made unconditional offers. Obviously this situation will change every year based on the number of offers met or exceeded versus any places left on the course.

The Business School does not go into Clearing and would rather take applicants who have made us their Firm choice but narrowly missed the conditions of their offer than take someone who did not even make us one of their original five choices."
    Thanks for that, are you firming them as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that, are you firming them as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Probably firm York, was debating insuring them

ReputationRep:
    Probably firm York, was debating insuring them
    What were you other 3 choices?

ReputationRep:
    What were you other 3 choices?
    Durham (rejected) Newcastle and Leicester

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I have a enquiry about the UCAS personal statement.

I am in a unique situation because due to my national service (NS) in Singapore, I have two opportunities to apply for UK universities, once in my first year of NS and another in my second.

As such, for my first try, I was thinking of not applying for any safety schools since I would not accept the safety school offers anyway.

My options were going to be as such:
    Cambridge // LSE Econs // LSE Math and Econs // UCL Econs // UCL Econs and Stats

I have gotten 44 points for my IB exams (with a 7 in math) so my grades should be good enough. The issue is the personal statement.

I have heard that UCL Econs and UCL Econs and Stats are rather similar courses, so writing a personal statement catering to Economics should be sufficient for both courses.

However, seeing that admission to LSE depends heavily on your personal statement, I have been advised against applying for both Econs and Math and Econs at LSE. I have been told that LSE really wants you to cater your application towards one focused course, and it is stupid to apply for both courses as they are not that similar. As such, my questions are:

1) Are LSE Econs and LSE Math and Econs really so different? How difficult is it to write a personal statement that caters to both?

2) Is it true that the schools under UOL such as UCL, LSE are able to see your applications to their different schools? Does that disadvantage me?

3) Is it unwise to apply two courses at the same university like I have? Will the department receive the two applications independently or together?

4) Is it possible that they could reject me from both just because I have applied for both two courses at the same university? Or will that not be a problem and could I very well receive two offers form the same university?

5) After doing my research, the closest course to LSE Econs that I could find within LSE was LSE Math and Econs. Is there any closer degree to Econs within LSE that I missed out on?

Thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jemmmylim)
    Hi there!

I have a enquiry about the UCAS personal statement.

I am in a unique situation because due to my national service (NS) in Singapore, I have two opportunities to apply for UK universities, once in my first year of NS and another in my second.

As such, for my first try, I was thinking of not applying for any safety schools since I would not accept the safety school offers anyway.

My options were going to be as such:
    Cambridge // LSE Econs // LSE Math and Econs // UCL Econs // UCL Econs and Stats

I have gotten 44 points for my IB exams (with a 7 in math) so my grades should be good enough. The issue is the personal statement.

I have heard that UCL Econs and UCL Econs and Stats are rather similar courses, so writing a personal statement catering to Economics should be sufficient for both courses.

However, seeing that admission to LSE depends heavily on your personal statement, I have been advised against applying for both Econs and Math and Econs at LSE. I have been told that LSE really wants you to cater your application towards one focused course, and it is stupid to apply for both courses as they are not that similar. As such, my questions are:

1) Are LSE Econs and LSE Math and Econs really so different? How difficult is it to write a personal statement that caters to both?

2) Is it true that the schools under UOL such as UCL, LSE are able to see your applications to their different schools? Does that disadvantage me?

3) Is it unwise to apply two courses at the same university like I have? Will the department receive the two applications independently or together?

4) Is it possible that they could reject me from both just because I have applied for both two courses at the same university? Or will that not be a problem and could I very well receive two offers form the same university?

5) After doing my research, the closest course to LSE Econs that I could find within LSE was LSE Math and Econs. Is there any closer degree to Econs within LSE that I missed out on?

Thanks so much!
    Lse are really picky about personal statements so there'd be basically no point in applying there for two different courses, are there no other economics courses in the UK you'd be willing to apply to? Warwick is a similar level to ucl so that could be a good one to put in, otherwise you could just apply to 4 instead of 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Lse are really picky about personal statements so there'd be basically no point in applying there for two different courses, are there no other economics courses in the UK you'd be willing to apply to? Warwick is a similar level to ucl so that could be a good one to put in, otherwise you could just apply to 4 instead of 5

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mmm that's a good idea, thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody else currently choosing between Durham and Bath as their firm?
    For me, both universities and locations have their respective pros and I'm finding it really difficult to choose between them .
    Bath:
    Industrial placement year is a massive plus
    More mathematical course (BSc)
    Highest Student satisfaction rates in the country
    Seemingly superior nightlife
    Great Sports facilities
    Warmer weather

Durham:
    More prestigious university so perhaps more respected
    Really like the collegiate system and the college I've been allocated
    Better international reputation
    Cheaper cost of living
    Fully catered first year

If anybody else is in a similar position or if anyone has anything to add, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisjones)
    x
    I'd go with Bath. I'd say that prestige wise, they're roughly the same, possibly Durham edges it, due to age, really.
    That aside, the placement year at Bath should be the deciding factor to go with Bath. Quite often, job offers upon graduation are given to students. That alone would be enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    I just received an offer from UCL for Economics and I'm super happy about it but I'm not really sure if I want to live in London (far away from home etc). I was thinking of firming in Bristol? I was just wondering if people think I'm wasting an opportunity? I know Bristol is good but people keep telling me to firm UCL :/

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.