Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Speech & Language Therapy 2015 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gscott10)
    Hi guys, hope all your exams went well! Not long now until you're starting first year!

I decided to start my blog as I know a couple of people replied to my post in here saying they would be interested! Here's the link if any of you want to check it out and feel free to follow
    https://sltstudentgem.wordpress.com

Also if any of you have any more questions that haven't been answered in here or you want to be featured in my blog then please send me a message as I will be posting a Q&A blog post in the next week! Questions can be about the course in general, University of Manchester or general university life questions- anything you want!

I hope some of you find this useful so far and please feel free to suggest any blog posts for me to write that you would like/find useful!

Thank you and good luck with the rest of your exams!!
    Thank you! I'll definitely benefit from this!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! Hope everyone is well. Hope you are all looking forward to September. Great to see the offers on the table page. Good luck to everyone waiting for results. I am sure we all smashed those exams/Access courses - all eager SLT beavers, pens and creativity at the ready for Autumn. I haven't been on here for a while - revising hard for my A level Psychology exams! My writing hand middle finger callus has significantly increased in size - oh dear! No pain, no gain I suppose! I did feel old sitting in an exam hall again and I had to switch centres this time as the school last year wasn't taking externals this year. Bit of a scare as the second Psychology paper was stolen so I was a bit stressed before wondering if I would get the replacement one. I did get the replacement one thank goodness - phew! I am sure others on here who have taken that Psychology paper probably felt the same! I really loved taking this A level and can't wait for September - so excited too. Results day I'll be nervous and be awake with the larks though!

I went to the Open Day at BCU again the other day and it was so nice to look around again. I am looking forward to meeting everyone. I will check out the Facebook thread, although I haven't used my Facebook account for a while now. Thanks for setting it up.

I have also submitted NHS bursary and have received award notification, but on the online site only though. I haven't had postal confirmation yet.

As far as the DBS clearance goes, I am going to one of the DBS days early next month as I live locally so can get there easily. I see we have to pay for it ourselves, rather than BCU - oh! I guess it varies from university to university.

I have submitted previous qualifications too, but not the healthcheck as yet. I am having the same issues as others are. I have had quite a few travel vaccinations over the years and know the dates of those, but not the childhood/teen ones on the form - typical!! I have been to my GP and am waiting for the nurse to get back to me. If no joy, I might have to check with my Mum too. I remember having them - just not when. Joys of being an oldie I suppose!

Thanks for all the help on here and good luck for results and hopefully see some of you at BCU in September!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsrev)
    I only took mine in today when I went to the DBS day as finding out my vaccination dates has been a bit of a nightmare. Hope it all goes through soon as I really want the certainty of my place as it feels like I've been waiting for ages.
    I just rang occupational health to check that they had received my forms and I asked about the process. I was told that it didn't matter if we didn't have evidence of innoculations as they will do a blood test and depending on what it shows will determine whether we need any further innoculations. The woman said they would send out appointments and are currently in the process of getting all the forms back and will process them in due course.I got the impression that the blood test will happen after we start the course, though not a 100% about this.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I think I'm more worried about an occupational health interview than a blood test as I've had to have a couple in teaching. Some are really supportive but one lady left me in tears by the end. I just hope the health check doesn't rule me out of the course....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsrev)
    Thank you. I think I'm more worried about an occupational health interview than a blood test as I've had to have a couple in teaching. Some are really supportive but one lady left me in tears by the end. I just hope the health check doesn't rule me out of the course....
    I feel the same.I am really nervous about it and don't feel able to make proper plans until I know I have passed it, as I have had one or two issues in my long and varied past!

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! Just wondering if anyone has started any pre-course reading, or come across anything interesting they may want to share to help prepare for the course...?!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shropshirelass51)
    I feel the same.I am really nervous about it and don't feel able to make proper plans until I know I have passed it, as I have had one or two issues in my long and varied past!
    They might not do anything about the health check until after the course starts - I didn't have my first appointment until several weeks into the course last year - but of course BCU may operate things differently. I wouldn't worry about the health check too much - have people on my course with various health issues and they have had no problems with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaaySLT)
    Hello everyone! Just wondering if anyone has started any pre-course reading, or come across anything interesting they may want to share to help prepare for the course...?!!
    If you really want to get a head start then I suggest some introductory texts about phonetics and linguistics (assuming you haven't studied either before - sorry if you have) - maybe some biological texts with info for speech therapists (but this might be expensive and it might be best to wait to see what your unis preferred essential reading is for the topic). Child development featured a lot in my first year - had a book about Child Dev birth to 5 years from amazon.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    They might not do anything about the health check until after the course starts - I didn't have my first appointment until several weeks into the course last year - but of course BCU may operate things differently. I wouldn't worry about the health check too much - have people on my course with various health issues and they have had no problems with it.
    I'm, just keeping my fingers crossed, but thanks that is reassuring.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've just finished my first year of SaLT at BCU - if you have any questions, feel free to ask :yep:

x
    Hi! How was your first year? I've just got back home for summer. I've passed the year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraw26)
    Hey, I've just finished my first year of SaLT at BCU - if you have any questions, feel free to ask :yep:

Hi! How was your first year? I've just got back home for summer. I've passed the year
    Hi

Well done you! Still waiting for exam results so cant confirm I've passed yet lol! Back home though - moved back on Saturday - finished the year off with a clinical placement which was good.

Have you enjoyed it?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=saraw26;57405979]Hey, I've just finished my first year of SaLT at BCU - if you have any questions, feel free to ask :yep:

Hi! congrats on passing your first year! How many exams have you had this year, and what tips would you offer to those of us starting this year?

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to get a head start then I suggest some introductory texts about phonetics and linguistics (assuming you haven't studied either before - sorry if you have) - maybe some biological texts with info for speech therapists (but this might be expensive and it might be best to wait to see what your unis preferred essential reading is for the topic). Child development featured a lot in my first year - had a book about Child Dev birth to 5 years from amazon.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Amy, it does help*

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Well done you! Still waiting for exam results so cant confirm I've passed yet lol! Back home though - moved back on Saturday - finished the year off with a clinical placement which was good.

Have you enjoyed it?
    Good luck! Yeah, have really enjoyed it, have you?

Hi! congrats on passing your first year! How many exams have you had this year, and what tips would you offer to those of us starting this year?
    Thanks! I've had 4 exams - an Anatomy and Physiology, a phonetics, a big exam on communication disorders, and an OCSE (practical exam). Then lots of coursework too :lol:

Tips would be to keep doing work experience, even if you've got your offer. A lot of the theory and practical things will draw on your prior knowledge, and you'll realise how much you already know Also keep on top of work... I know it sounds obvious, but hand in assignments in plenty of time, don't leave them until the last minute, or you probably won't do the best that you can. The main thing is, enjoy! I worked hard in my first year, but also wished I had stressed less and enjoyed it more

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! Yeah, have really enjoyed it, have you?

Thanks! I've had 4 exams - an Anatomy and Physiology, a phonetics, a big exam on communication disorders, and an OCSE (practical exam). Then lots of coursework too :lol:

Tips would be to keep doing work experience, even if you've got your offer. A lot of the theory and practical things will draw on your prior knowledge, and you'll realise how much you already know Also keep on top of work... I know it sounds obvious, but hand in assignments in plenty of time, don't leave them until the last minute, or you probably won't do the best that you can. The main thing is, enjoy! I worked hard in my first year, but also wished I had stressed less and enjoyed it more
    Yeah its been good - hard at times - so much to take in! And the uni way of working is so different from college/A2. Just keeping my fingers crossed for the exam results on Friday (linguistics/phonetics/biological science (your anatomy and physiology) and a psychology unit) then can look forward to year 2 with hopefully no resits in August (pleeeeaaaasssseeee)

Have a great break!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its been good - hard at times - so much to take in! And the uni way of working is so different from college/A2. Just keeping my fingers crossed for the exam results on Friday (linguistics/phonetics/biological science (your anatomy and physiology) and a psychology unit) then can look forward to year 2 with hopefully no resits in August (pleeeeaaaasssseeee)

Have a great break!
    Let us know

I think getting used to referencing was weird. I had done some referencing in English and EPQ, but not to the extent of assignments at uni

ReputationRep:
    Let us know

I think getting used to referencing was weird. I had done some referencing in English and EPQ, but not to the extent of assignments at uni
    Will do. Passed everything else so far just the exam results now.

Oh yeah the dreaded referencing! It's such a wide reaching course that sometimes its hard to get a handle on everything at the same time - still it all comes good at the end (hopefully).

Out of curiosity - did things at BCU go crazy between Feb-May with multiple deadlines, exams, assessments etc? It was a mad time at MMU!

ReputationRep:
    Will do. Passed everything else so far just the exam results now.

Oh yeah the dreaded referencing! It's such a wide reaching course that sometimes its hard to get a handle on everything at the same time - still it all comes good at the end (hopefully).

Out of curiosity - did things at BCU go crazy between Feb-May with multiple deadlines, exams, assessments etc? It was a mad time at MMU!
    Nice one!

Yeah, it's so varied - but at least that way, people will always have strengths in areas

Hahaha! Yes! 4 exams, and about 5 or 6 assignments :lol:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=saraw26;57405979]Hey, I've just finished my first year of SaLT at BCU - if you have any questions, feel free to ask :yep:

Thank you for answering my previous question! I have another!! Did you find the workload quite intense in the first year? I know this is a difficult question to answer as it depends on each individual and how they study, but generally was the first year quite demanding or quite easily manageable? TIA for any reply*

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for answering my previous question! I have another!! Did you find the workload quite intense in the first year? I know this is a difficult question to answer as it depends on each individual and how they study, but generally was the first year quite demanding or quite easily manageable? TIA for any reply*
    No problem, ask away

Yeah, it was quite intense, but manageable if you get organised! I'm not sure what educational background you are from, but if I compare it to A Levels: for me, it was less intense than A Levels, especially how awful the summer exams are in A Level. It was probably more similar to a GCSE workload, because there are lots of different pieces of work, which covers a range of topic areas (but at a higher level, obviously). So yes, it was a challenging first year, but definitely do-able if you're motivated

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.