Turn on thread page Beta

Miscellaneous Thread Part II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This and the TTIP (and maybe tuition fee) is my biggest worry of this parliament and why I wanted a coalition. The ECHR was written by a Brit, a tory nonetheless so it's very hypocritical for us to not want anything to do with it. The act is okay in its current state. Yes the likes of Abu Hamsa and prisoners are collateral beneficiary of it but any human rights act worth its salt will benefit those sort of people.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by difeo)
    As you say they voted No to AV, not to PR. AV can be just as unfair as FPTP. It probably wouldn't have helped the problem if they voted yes, as that would prevent another referendum from happening for ages, whereas a PR referendum is still a possibility.

It's true that PR wouldn't have helped the people rioting, but maybe they'd find it easier to take if it was a fair outcome despite not being their preferred one. It's Ukip Green and Lib Dem voters who have the right to be most annoyed.
    If there was a PR referendum tomorrow it would fail. It has its flaws just like FPTP does.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think FPTP is the best system its more the way MP work within government once they are elected that is the issue. FPTP almost works on the basis of there being loads of little democracies, which I think is a good thing. However the MP for the most part follow their party line not that of their constituencies, which is why you get people voting Labour rather than an MP. I still don't think PR solves the problem of representation.

ReputationRep:
    Fifa, anyone? Bored as **** right now..

ReputationRep:
    provisional leaving date booked in of the 25th may..

Bit nervous now - I was not at all back in april when I left liverpool..

But now I have had far to much time to think/relax, which is never a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    provisional leaving date booked in of the 25th may..

Bit nervous now - I was not at all back in april when I left liverpool..

But now I have had far to much time to think/relax, which is never a good idea
    Is your wife native Chinese? Do you speak the language at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    Is your wife native Chinese? Do you speak the language at all?
    yeah + a bit, not enough.. My vocab is pretty decent these days, but my pronounciation sucks just due to not actually being able to have conversations with that many chinese people at the moment..

My job is 100% in english though, and my wife speaks perfect english (bar pronouncing arsenal as ar**hole) - so language wont be a problem really.

To be honest, improving my chinese will probably be one of the more long-term benifits of our year over there.. especially as its going to be one of the two languages my kids will speak one day

ReputationRep:
    My job is 100% in english though, and my wife speaks perfect english (bar pronouncing arsenal as ar**hole) - so language wont be a problem really.
    I like your wife Mr Acorns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I like your wife Mr Acorns.
    best time, was when we were at a christmas party with a few friends, and we were playing a party game..

there was a round that was something like 'guess who your partner looks up to the most'

Now, not being into football, my wife gets in a muddle with ARSENE wenger, and ARSENAL

So it got to us.. and she was going to try and guess my answer..

She loundly stands up and pronounces:

'He aspires to be Arse!!! as he loves ar**hole!'

... great.

ReputationRep:
    yeah + a bit, not enough.. My vocab is pretty decent these days, but my pronounciation sucks just due to not actually being able to have conversations with that many chinese people at the moment..

To be honest, improving my chinese will probably be one of the more long-term benifits of our year over there.. especially as its going to be one of the two languages my kids will speak one day
    You'll probably be fine, if you've got the basics down, you can benefit from immersion on the speech front.

I was just wondering whether you were worried about a kind of culture shock and isolation thing, but with some grasp and English around you, not really an issue.

Could you get, I'm guess from the visa stuff you don't have, Chinese citizenship by virtue of marriage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    You'll probably be fine, if you've got the basics down, you can benefit from immersion on the speech front.

I was just wondering whether you were worried about a kind of culture shock and isolation thing, but with some grasp and English around you, not really an issue.

Could you get, I'm guess from the visa stuff you don't have, Chinese citizenship by virtue of marriage?
    I am not really worried about culture-shock/isolation.. I probably should be, but in reality I think it will be ok. I mean, if I was going over there by myself to work, as many do - I think I would be terrified.. but going over to live with my wife, well, I always have her for company, we will be around all her family that we will see each week and I get on well with, and ofcourse in my job there will be lots of other western/english people there.. so, no, I am not to worried about that. I am worried about missing my family, but I will be back for christmas, so just have to man up get on with it, and start build our savings until then.

+ Nah, chinese citizenship is a *****. They have a kind of 'us or them' attititude to it, so they hate duel citizenship. the only way I would be given full chinese citizenship is if I stopped being an english citizen, and with my wife if she ever gets granted full english citizenship, then she will stop having chinese citizenship.

ReputationRep:
    Mayweather might be worth $400 million but he still not tall enough to ride half the rides at Thorpe Park.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    Mayweather might be worth $400 million but he still not tall enough to ride half the rides at Thorpe Park.
    How tall are you

ReputationRep:
    manmore checking in

ReputationRep:
    Mayweather be like: 'Ill buy this dam theme park b*tch'.

ReputationRep:
    If there was a TSR gang bang can imagine man like SUG in the middle of the room trying to show off his package to awkwardly get it going.

ReputationRep:
    Shots

ReputationRep:
    loled as soon as I saw 'TSR gang bang' tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    If there was a TSR gang bang can imagine man like SUG in the middle of the room trying to show off his package to awkwardly get it going.
    no homo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    Shots
    nah he's got lots of energy, he'd get the whole thing going

FK would be making awkward eye contact around the room

Tom Ford and Stefano would lock eyes from the opposite sides of the room and be drawn together like magnets

Poll
Do you like exams?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.