The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3600
Sharing some tips for the Visa applications, the process was pretty smooth except for the fingers scanning portion. My fingerprints nearly cant make it to the system lol.

Getting to the Visa Application Centre
Alight at Tanjong Pagar MRT and exit by Robinsons Road exit. The earliest you can go into the visa centre is not more than 10 mins before your scheduled appointment.

Impt Documents (to be submitted)
1) Passport
2) 1 Passport Size Photograph
3) CAS Letter
3) Completed forms VAF Appendix 8, Online Application Forms
4) Appointment Letter

**We will get back our passport at a later date.

Backup Documents
1) Supporting evidences with original copies + photocopy, just bring along just in case they ask for it. Fyi, The counter officer never request to see my supporting documents.

Adding on, some of the questions found in VAF9 Appendix 8, you can simply put a cross as per following, Singaporeans are considered “low risk” applicants. Eg. Qns 5.4
5.4 Unless you are exempt under differentiation arrangements, you must send all of the original certificate(s) of qualification
and/or original transcripts of results and/or references that are listed in the CAS. You must get this information from your Tier 4
sponsor.

Put a cross (X) in the box to confirm evidence not required
under guidance, but held by applicant.

Hope the above is clear =)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Metastasis
Anyone going to Newcastle? :smile:

have fun there soon!
Original post by redsgal
Sharing some tips for the Visa applications, the process was pretty smooth except for the fingers scanning portion. My fingerprints nearly cant make it to the system lol.

Getting to the Visa Application Centre
Alight at Tanjong Pagar MRT and exit by Robinsons Road exit. The earliest you can go into the visa centre is not more than 10 mins before your scheduled appointment.

Impt Documents (to be submitted)
1) Passport
2) 1 Passport Size Photograph
3) CAS Letter
3) Completed forms VAF Appendix 8, Online Application Forms
4) Appointment Letter

**We will get back our passport at a later date.

Backup Documents
1) Supporting evidences with original copies + photocopy, just bring along just in case they ask for it. Fyi, The counter officer never request to see my supporting documents.

Adding on, some of the questions found in VAF9 Appendix 8, you can simply put a cross as per following, Singaporeans are considered “low risk” applicants. Eg. Qns 5.4
5.4 Unless you are exempt under differentiation arrangements, you must send all of the original certificate(s) of qualification
and/or original transcripts of results and/or references that are listed in the CAS. You must get this information from your Tier 4
sponsor.

Put a cross (X) in the box to confirm evidence not required
under guidance, but held by applicant.

Hope the above is clear =)

thanks for the info red girl! Would be cool if you're literally red in real life
Reply 3603
Found another great guide for us:-

http://warwicksingsoc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Warwick-for-Duwwies-2012.pdf

Credit to Warwick SingSoc Exco
Anyone going to Durham ? I have a conditional offer from Durham but although I have received my IB results recently and have met their offer, I was told by them when I called them that they have to wait for the Uk A level results to come out in mod August before they can get back to me on my offer. anyone experiencing the same issue ?
Reply 3605
Original post by Dekreuk
Hi fellow Singaporeans! Anyone going to Exeter?

Hey, what will you be studying in Exeter? (:
Original post by kampungboy
Anyone going to Durham ? I have a conditional offer from Durham but although I have received my IB results recently and have met their offer, I was told by them when I called them that they have to wait for the Uk A level results to come out in mod August before they can get back to me on my offer. anyone experiencing the same issue ?

I think that really shouldn't be a problem.... If you have met your conditions, better start preparing for your move to the UK! :wink:

Of course, if you are negotiating...... then good luck!
Anyone going to sixth form? :tsr:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830i
Original post by Heypopsicle
Anyone going to sixth form? :tsr:

Sorry, I've come across this term a few times already..... what's "sixth form" ?
Original post by ofssinfoxes
Sorry, I've come across this term a few times already..... what's "sixth form" ?

Sixth form is year 11-12 in college. Like junior college in Singapore. We take the a levels too:yep:

Original post by Heypopsicle
Sixth form is year 11-12 in college. Like junior college in Singapore. We take the a levels too:yep:

Ah ok. I come from a high school, so I was pretty clueless about all these people taking about "sixth form" in some other threads.... I thought it meant some kind of a degree or something! :colondollar:. Thanks anyway.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3611
Anybody heading to edinburgh?

i'm going to be doing sociology and politics there though i might switch.
Anyone heading to City University for BSc Actuarial Science, or any other courses? The university is relatively small so we will get to know one another quite soon.
Does anyone know how Singaporean driving license works in the UK? According to their website, it says:
re a visitor in GB, and hold full ordinary entitlement, you can drive any category of vehicle, up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to eight passenger seats, shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the date you last entered GB, whether or not you brought the vehicle into GB.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022559

But under the interactive tool, it says:
(as a student) you will not be able to exchange your driving licence as you are not a resident in Great Britain (GB) with a permanent British address.

Finally, under the students page, it says:
Driving in GB as a student

If you are a student holding a community licence you may drive cars and motorcycles in GB for as long as your licence remains valid. If you don’t have a licence you must have been studying here for at least six months before taking a driving test or applying for a full licence.

If you are a student holding a non-community licence or an international driving permit you may drive here for up to 12 months.

For up to five years after becoming resident, you can apply to exchange your driving licence from a designated country for a British one.

If you don’t hold a licence, or your licence was not issued in a designated country, you’ll need to apply for a provisional licence and pass a driving test. You will be able to take a test and obtain a full licence once you have been in GB for six months.

Can anyone tell me whether I can drive in the UK with my singaporean driving license? And my course is for 5 years..... does that mean I need to exchange my license for a British one, or can I constantly use my Singaporean one as I will never "stay" in the UK for over 12 months at a time?
Any international students going to NTU? Let's get in touch!
Reply 3615
Hello anyone going to Loughborough Uni this year?

Reply 3616
Does anyone know how Singaporean driving license works in the UK? According to their website, it says:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022559

Can anyone tell me whether I can drive in the UK with my singaporean driving license? And my course is for 5 years..... does that mean I need to exchange my license for a British one, or can I constantly use my Singaporean one as I will never "stay" in the UK for over 12 months at a time?

Hi there. With your sg license u can drive in the uk for 12 months. After that I believe u have to exchange your sg license for a uk one to cont driving in the uk. But if u leave and enter uk, I believe they will start counting from day 1 and u can drive with your sg license. Hope this helps.

U can find more info here
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_sheets/driving.php

Reply 3617

Hello there somehow my previous post didn't get sent. If u leave and enter uk again I think they will count it as day 1 and u can drive with your sg license. Hope this helps.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_sheets/driving.php

Reply 3618

Sorry for the repeat posts. Didn't know that they had to be approved by moderators first so when I sent the msg they didn't appear so I tried again lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nkubi
Sorry for the repeat posts. Didn't know that they had to be approved by moderators first so when I sent the msg they didn't appear so I tried again lol.

Hahah thanks for your answer. I was trying to figure out where your posts were because they were listed under " who quoted me" section! :tongue:

And what needs to be approved by moderators?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending