Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    How pretty are you expecting the answer to be?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    At present I have the rather unpleasant expression you have, x\ln(x) \mapsto -\frac{1}{e}, and with the x^x=e^{x\ln(x)}=e^{-\frac{1}{e}}, and I don't much fancy seeing if it simplifies.
    Oh effing eff - I meant abscissa - that'll teach me to use those fancy college kid words. I'll edit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    Oh effing eff - I meant abscissa - that'll teach me to use those fancy college kid words. I'll edit. Maybe you could spoiler your reply though?
    It is spoilered. . .?

ReputationRep:
    It is spoilered. . .?
    Ignore me. I'm tired and heading off to bed. I look forward to your complete argument in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore me. I'm tired and heading off to bed. I look forward to your complete argument in the morning.
    Using the standard notation here to save TeXing all this junk.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Note that:
    f(x)=x\ln(x)+\displaystyle\sum_{  k=1}^n(^ke)^{e^{x\ln(x)}}.

\implies f'(x)=(1+\ln(x))\left(1+ \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\left(\displaystyle \prod_{j=1}^k (^je)^{x\ln(x)}\right) \right).
    f'(x)=0 \iff 1+\ln(x)=0 or g(x)=\left(1+ \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\left(\displaystyle \prod_{j=1}^k (^je)^{x\ln(x)}\right) \right)=0.
    Noting that all the terms of g(x) are necessarily positive, we deduce that we must have: 1+\ln(x)=0.
    Thus we have a single stationary point, which is in fact a minimum, at x=\dfrac{1}{e}.
    To see that this is a minimum, simply note that g(x)>0 and so the derivative changes sign from negative to positive as x increases at x=\dfrac{1}{e}.

ReputationRep:
    Minor typo, x can't be negative - but lovely solution! This notation fuzzles it up enough for me not to understand it. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Minor typo, x can't be negative - but lovely solution! This notation fuzzles it up enough for me not to understand it. :laugh:
    whupsy daisy -that was x\ln(x) rather than x, will edit.
    It is a little confusing, but if you write it out it's simple enough, I was being lazy.

ReputationRep:
    Using the standard notation here to save TeXing all this junk.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Note that:
    f(x)=x\ln(x)+\displaystyle\sum_{  k=1}^n(^ke)^{e^{x\ln(x)}}.

\implies f'(x)=(1+\ln(x))\left(1+ \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\left(\displaystyle \prod_{j=1}^k (^je)^{x\ln(x)}\right) \right).
    f'(x)=0 \iff 1+\ln(x)=0 or g(x)=\left(1+ \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\left(\displaystyle \prod_{j=1}^k (^je)^{x\ln(x)}\right) \right)=0.
    Noting that all the terms of g(x) are necessarily positive, we deduce that we must have: 1+\ln(x)=0.
    Thus we have a single stationary point, which is in fact a minimum, at x=\dfrac{1}{e}.
    To see that this is a minimum, simply note that g(x)>0 and so the derivative changes sign from negative to positive as x increases at x=\dfrac{1}{e}.
    That looks fine, but I think that there's a much simpler argument:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Note that f(x)=g(x) + e^{g(x)} + e^{e^{g(x)}} + \cdots +e^{e^{.^{.^{e^{g(x)}}}}}

Now let y=e^{h(x)} \Rightarrow y' = h'(x)e^{h(x)} = 0 \Rightarrow h'(x) = 0 since e^{h(x)} > 0 for all x. So h(x), e^{h(x)} have the same turning points, and so do their sum.

Thus we need only consider the first term in the series for f(x), which trivially gives a minimum of 1/e

ReputationRep:
    That looks fine, but I think that there's a much simpler argument:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Note that f(x)=g(x) + e^{g(x)} + e^{e^{g(x)}} + \cdots +e^{e^{.^{.^{e^{g(x)}}}}}

Now let y=e^{h(x)} \Rightarrow y' = h'(x)e^{h(x)} = 0 \Rightarrow h'(x) = 0 since e^{h(x)} > 0 for all x. So h(x), e^{h(x)} have the same turning points, and so do their sum.

Thus we need only consider the first term in the series for f(x), which trivially gives a minimum of 1/e
    It is a little smoother I guess, but I calculated the ordinates first.

ReputationRep:
    Since I took a problem, here's one I made up back, it's not very hard.
    Problem 572:*
    Compute the exact value of:
    x=13+\dfrac{1}{2+\dfrac{1}{26+ \dfrac{1}{2+\frac{1}{26+\frac{1}  {2+...}}}}}
    Where this fraction continues in this recurring way ad infinitum.
    Find an expression of this type (known as a continued fraction) for x=\dfrac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}, and x=\sqrt{2}.

ReputationRep:
    Since I took a problem, here's one I made up back, it's not very hard.
    Problem 572:*
    Yaay! Iterative stuff!

Compute the exact value of:

x=13+\dfrac{1}{2+\dfrac{1}{26+ \dfrac{1}{2+\frac{1}{26+\frac{1}  {2+...}}}}}

Where this fraction continues in this recurring way ad infinitum.
    \displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}x -13 = \frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{26 + x-13}} \Rightarrow \frac{1}{x-13} = 2 + \frac{1}{x+13} \Rightarrow \frac{1}{x-13} - \frac{1}{x+13} = 2 \end{equation*}

So that x^2 = \sqrt{182} \Rightarrow x = \sqrt{182} where we pick the positive root for obvious reasons.

Find an expression of this type (known as a continued fraction) for x=\dfrac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}
    We have:

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}2x = 1 + \sqrt{5} \Rightarrow (2x-1)^2 = 5 \Rightarrow 4x^2 - 4x -4 = 0 \iff x^2 - x - 1 = 0\end{equation*}

So:

\displaystyle

\begin{equation*} x^2 = 1 + x \Rightarrow x = 1 + \frac{1}{x} = 1 + \frac{1}{1 + \frac{1}{1 + \frac{1}{1 + \cdots}}}\end{equation*}

and x=\sqrt{2}.
    We have:

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}\sqrt{2} = 1 + \sqrt{2} - 1 = 1 + \frac{1}{1 + \sqrt{2}} \Rightarrow \sqrt{2} = 1 + \frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{2+ \cdots}}}

ReputationRep:
    Problem 401:

Determine whether

1/1^5 + 1/2^5 + 1/3^5...

is irrational.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    Problem 401:

Determine whether

1/1^5 + 1/2^5 + 1/3^5...

is irrational.
    1^5 is irrational so the sum of an irrational number and some other numbers are irrational, hence the sum is irrational. QED.

ReputationRep:
    1^5 is irrational so the sum of an irrational number and some other numbers are irrational, hence the sum is irrational. QED.
    ^ me trying to learn analysis

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Such proof. . .
    Many brilliance. . .
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Wow.

ReputationRep:
    Yaay! Iterative stuff!

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}x -13 = \frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{26 + x-13}} \Rightarrow \frac{1}{x-13} = 2 + \frac{1}{x+13} \Rightarrow \frac{1}{x-13} - \frac{1}{x+13} = 2 \end{equation*}

So that x^2 = \sqrt{182} \Rightarrow x = \sqrt{182} where we pick the positive root for obvious reasons.

We have:

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}2x = 1 + \sqrt{5} \Rightarrow (2x-1)^2 = 5 \Rightarrow 4x^2 - 4x -4 = 0 \iff x^2 - x - 1 = 0\end{equation*}

So:

\displaystyle

\begin{equation*} x^2 = 1 + x \Rightarrow x = 1 + \frac{1}{x} = \frac{1}{1 + \frac{1}{1 + \frac{1}{1 + \cdots}}}\end{equation*}

We have:

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}\sqrt{2} = 1 + \sqrt{2} - 1 = 1 + \frac{1}{1 + \sqrt{2}} \Rightarrow \sqrt{2} = \frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{2+ \cdots}}}
    gah, just as I finished my solution I refresh the page and you've got there first! Atleast I got the same answers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    gah, just as I finished my solution I refresh the page and you've got there first! Atleast I got the same answers
    Ah, sorry - that's always frustrating!

ReputationRep:
    x
    Having looked more closely I now notice you seem to have made a typo.
    In both cases you're missing the preceding 1+.

ReputationRep:
    Having looked more closely I now notice you seem to have made a typo.
    In both cases you're missing the preceding 1+.
    Urgh, thanks! Fixed. :-)

ReputationRep:
    Ah, sorry - that's always frustrating!
    Lol don't be sorry, I'll have to be faster next time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Lol don't be sorry, I'll have to be faster next time
    And I'll have to make less mistakes.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.