Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Matthew150;47012437]
    (Original post by Physicsrules23)

I told them the situation, and I was told "I know, it must be very frustrating"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahhh that sucks hard. Worth noting though that the people there on the phone arent the most reliable as shown over the past few weeks. Someone called r.e the waiting list and they said those on will be notified as soon as they get rejected on track. I got my email that i was on the waiting list 2 days after my rejection.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Physicsrules23;47012508]
    (Original post by Matthew150)

Ahhh that sucks hard. Worth noting though that the people there on the phone arent the most reliable as shown over the past few weeks. Someone called r.e the waiting list and they said those on will be notified as soon as they get rejected on track. I got my email that i was on the waiting list 2 days after my rejection.
    Very true, and I might send them an email, but the email also stated that offers would only be given to those who haven't received (firmed) offers elsewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Matthew150;47012607]

Very true, and I might send them an email, but the email also stated that offers would only be given to those who haven't received (firmed) offers elsewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Id seriously give it a shot. Give them the date of your email and the date you firmed that uni and they shouldnt have a reason to kick you off the list.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Physicsrules23;47012729]

Id seriously give it a shot. Give them the date of your email and the date you firmed that uni and they shouldnt have a reason to kick you off the list.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll keep you informed.
    I've also made a Data protection act request for my interview score and waiting list ranking, so I'll see if that comes back with anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Matthew150;47012758]

I've also made a Data protection act request for my interview score and waiting list ranking, so I'll see if that comes back with anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I havent firmed a uni yet so idk, but did you get an email from ucas or the uni when you firmed the other one. If so forward that to them. If not quote the date anyway. And yh id like to know my score too i thought it went the best out of all my other interviews

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I haven't heard anything yet ....... does that mean I should be expecting a rejection soon??

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Physicsrules23;47012804]

I havent firmed a uni yet so idk, but did you get an email from ucas or the uni when you firmed the other one. If so forward that to them. If not quote the date anyway. And yh id like to know my score too i thought it went the best out of all my other interviews
    Ah I see, what do you think you'll do?
    Both, I got the email from UCAS, but that was a generic track update one, although I could screen-shot showing that I made my firming 1 day before their email about waiting list.
    Without trying to sound cocky, I thought my interview went really really well, so I was pretty gutted when I saw that it was a rejection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medic3896)
    Hey guys I haven't heard anything yet ....... does that mean I should be expecting a rejection soon??
    No! It doesn't mean anything because offers/rejections are still being given out together! Just need to be patient.. lol easier said than done! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medic3896)
    Sorry mate, I've got no idea, they should get back to you soon though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Matthew150;47012838]

Ah I see, what do you think you'll do?
    Both, I got the email from UCAS, but that was a generic track update one, although I could screen-shot showing that I made my firming 1 day before their email about waiting list.
    Without trying to sound cocky, I thought my interview went really really well, so I was pretty gutted when I saw that it was a rejection.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry for late replies im on my phone. Yeah you could do that i mean they already know all your other unis now anyway because you've got all your decisions back so they know your screenshot would be legit. If you got an email from the uni you firmed forward that too. It kind of sounded like the lady on the phone didnt really understand or know what to reply so she just tried to sympathise. As with me, i cant firm the only offer i have(ucl biomed) if i wanted to because im put on the waiting list for brighton and sussex. Unlike barts they dont reject you on track so i cant do anything but wait. Id much rather go barts though

ReputationRep:
    Sorry mate, I've got no idea, they should get back to you soon though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Matthew u can always undo ur firm. Its abit long and annoying but tell ur reference and they should contact ucas and undo it for u!! (Afew ppl in my sixth form changed their minds and was able to change it!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annieyellow)
    I'm sorry to bring you the news, but yesterday, I made a FOI request and for 2013 entry, no one from the waiting list got a place.

thats quite sad... time to firm other offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ojtramp)
    There are various opportunities for dissection at Barts, as you mentioned they are in the Student Selected Component (SSC) part of the course.

• Year 1 Dissection - Limbs
    • Year 2 Dissection - Chest and Abdomen
    • Year 1/2 Summer Dissection - Head and Neck

All of these are currently optional but have enough capacity to take as many students as apply (with the exception of the head and neck SSC which is during the summer holidays and has limited places). I found it pretty useful for learning anatomy and the majority of students do it - the anatomy teaching has got much better in the last few years. Last year we had the fewest students to cadavers in the country during dissection sessions, assuming that hasn't changed.

In the preclinical years (1 & 2) you have 2 SSCs that are each a fortnight long - these can be pretty much anything. In my first year I did limb dissection and ENT Surgery, second year I did chest/abdo dissection and Prehospital Care (an extended 4 year SSC program where you go out with ambulances and HEMS* cars). There are some group work SSCs that have two hours each Wednesday morning as well.

In third year you get an afternoon off a week for SSCs, in fourth year I think you do an extended project and in final year you have return to clinical placements again.

Hope that helps!

Ollie x

* Helicopter Emergency Medical Service
    Thanks! This is quite helpful as I'm trying to decide whether to firm Barts... Do you know how does Bart decides which hospitals you'll be practicing in? There are quite a few on Essex...which considering I don't drive nor have a car.. not sure how I will get there... or do you have a say on choosing the hospitals?

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous5001)
    You definitely deserve the offer. It requires lot of will power to come out of the situation of losing the UCL offer . Well done.
    Yeah I was absolutely devastated on the day. UCL had been my dream for like three years. In truth, I was quite tunnel visioned last year and only picked two universities by actual criteria, the rest were just based on distance from home. Now that I have looked around more, I can see that Barts is actually better for me in terms of course content and I'll end up with less debt because the accomodation isn't going to cost me £147 per week like it was going to at UCL.

Last year, I was interviewed on the second day at UCL and got an offer two days later so I was pretty safe in the knowledge that they liked me. When I phoned admissions on results day and explained my situation (heart surgery yada yada) the women literally said the words "You don't have an A in chemistry, therefore we don't want you." She was not willing to listen to a single word I said.

A contact who knew my situation and who is friends with UCL's dean wrote her a letter to ask for them to at least allow me to reapply and she was simply ignored by her own friend. The cold attitude with which they treated my case really helped me get over how bad I felt about missing out on UCL. When I saw that Barts would possibly take me with my current grades it really spurred me to go for it, hence my current very fortunate position.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Just dropping in to give ye all some wisdom on firming biomed etc. I'm from ireland so our admissions system is very different to yours, it's in truth a lot worse. We have a points system, no interviews, no PS and our ukcat equivalent is worth 3 times that of one of your A level subjects. I missed out the first year by 6 points, last year by two points. This year I decided to try the English system and out of the whole of the uk only 3 universities would consider my application because I'd started a biomed course. Barts have written in their admissions statement that they do not consider applicants who have started another course so I put them down as my fourth just trying my luck really. I'm not sure how I got an interview but i did. Outside I was talking to One of the med students and they told me to lie and say I was doing a pre med first aid course instead because they wouldn't accept me otherwise. I was hoping they wouldn't ask me about it but it was a sticking point for the whole interview which was awful because it kinda reinforced how they couldn't really give me a place because it was against policy. They put me on the waiting list the other day but I presume it's a case of they'll consider me after everyone else. So what I would advise ye to do, if medicine is what ye want, really want (because it's all I've ever wanted but our system is just shocking here) don't start another course because it just shoots yourself in the foot if you decide you can't hack staining bacteria in labs for a lot of your week and want to reapply for medicine as no one will take you once you've started a course. Unless you're set on post grad, really think carefully about starting another course. Also there are a few universities which allow you to swap across from biomed after second year if you get a good enough gpa, so look into them.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with FC1993; I had to withdraw from the course of nanotechnology in November just because studying at any other uni and being considered in the application process is against the policy of some universities. (Although it was just the Univeristy of Edinburgh that informed me about the whole situation)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VaneMila)
    Thanks! This is quite helpful as I'm trying to decide whether to firm Barts... Do you know how does Bart decides which hospitals you'll be practicing in? There are quite a few on Essex...which considering I don't drive nor have a car.. not sure how I will get there... or do you have a say on choosing the hospitals?

Thanks!!
    You get to give a preference but you will get some 'out firms' (hospital placements in essex). You get accommodation on site for any placement in Essex and there will be a fair few other students there with you. The teaching is generally considered to be better in the peripheral hospitals as the student-doctor ratio is much more favourable so you get more attention.

You can avoid out firms if you are a a rep with the Students' Association (BLSA) or the President/First Team captain for a club/society. There are also exemptions for carers or parents.

BW
    Ollie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouOnlyYoloOnce)
    Thanks, really helpful! Exactly what I wanted.

Also minor question, I saw the rugby/sport pitches are about 40 minutes drive away, are we expected to make our own way way there or is there a bus that goes down? If so, does it leave from Floyer or Dawson?
    Teams tend to head down together after lectures - as a first year you'll finish at 1pm on a Wednesday and go direction. There are normally some older years knocking around that go with you as well. They get public transport as far as I'm aware - coaches are used for the annual Merger Cup (when we compete against the whole of Queen Mary in everything from rugby to climbing, we beat them this year) and for events like the United Hospital Cups (the London medical schools compete).

Hope that helps x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeny-tom)
    Yeah I was absolutely devastated on the day. UCL had been my dream for like three years. In truth, I was quite tunnel visioned last year and only picked two universities by actual criteria, the rest were just based on distance from home. Now that I have looked around more, I can see that Barts is actually better for me in terms of course content and I'll end up with less debt because the accomodation isn't going to cost me £147 per week like it was going to at UCL.

Last year, I was interviewed on the second day at UCL and got an offer two days later so I was pretty safe in the knowledge that they liked me. When I phoned admissions on results day and explained my situation (heart surgery yada yada) the women literally said the words "You don't have an A in chemistry, therefore we don't want you." She was not willing to listen to a single word I said.

A contact who knew my situation and who is friends with UCL's dean wrote her a letter to ask for them to at least allow me to reapply and she was simply ignored by her own friend. The cold attitude with which they treated my case really helped me get over how bad I felt about missing out on UCL. When I saw that Barts would possibly take me with my current grades it really spurred me to go for it, hence my current very fortunate position.
    Medical admission process is really ruthless. I never thought it would be this hard. Great that you have an unconditional offer. I have to get an A* for my offer. Let me now bury myself in my books to avoid any shock on August 14 - the results day. I don't even want to think about the situation if I lose the offer.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What time did you get your e-mail regarding the waiting list? They might have sent e-mails according to ranking on the list...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.