Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toasty199)
    what do people think about taking a year out before applying again for TCs? I'm graduating this year and have so far received PFOs so it's not looking too great...
    If you use it well to gain relevant, helpful experience then it's nothing but an improvement for your applications next year. If you don't use it well then you will be expected to explain yourself. I mean sitting around doing nothing though, mainly, even if you go travelling you can still pick up great skills and experience etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, has anybody had a Gateley telephone interview who can share some advice? This will be my first phone interview so I'm a bit nervous! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrainingChopeful)
    Well the person I know achieved something similar I can't remember if it was AAC or ABB. What I would say is try and do as best you can in your first year - a 2.1 or 1st would really help also any extra-curricular like class rep etc
    (Original post by hkmshire)
    As TrainingChopeful said, try and get as much other stuff into your cv and get a 2:1 or first in first year. Some firms - ward hadaway in newcastle for example - do work placements (between a day and a week) throughout the year. If you do stuff like that it'll show extra commitment when you come to make VS applications next year. Also, contact graduate recruitment teams and just ask what their stance on grades is. They'll probably all tell you the same thing - "we judge an application in its entirety" - but speaking to them might start a relationship where you could speak to trainees etc. ie it'll make you stand out a bit more and will show more enthusiasm to that particular firm.
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of this, I appreciate it. I will have to work hard now and somehowachieve a 2:1 this year.

Thanks again, wish you all the best with your applications.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone had any experience with the BLP assessment centre?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any advice for a Macfarlanes AC?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyangelg)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could I just ask when you applied to Macfarlanes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procrastination1)
    Could I just ask when you applied to Macfarlanes?
    Hi Yes I applied on the 30th Jan and heard back last Tuesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrainingChopeful)
    Has anyone else applied to TLT and mind if I PM them?
    I had a TC assessment centre at TLT last year, feel free to PM if you want any info!

ReputationRep:
    anyone had an hfw assessment centre?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Yes I applied on the 30th Jan and heard back last Tuesday.
    Thanks. I'm expecting a PFO soon as I applied early Jan and haven't heard back at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neversheds)
    anyone had an hfw assessment centre?
    Yaap, went to one in January (and received a PFO shortly after, ha). They're really lovely - I actually ended up quite enjoying the exercises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toasty199)
    Yaap, went to one in January (and received a PFO shortly after, ha). They're really lovely - I actually ended up quite enjoying the exercises.
    what sort of things came up? anything unexpected?

ReputationRep:
    No, nothing crazy. The written and group exercises were commercial awareness-based, and the interview was just about the firm and expanding on your application. Nothing out of the ordinary

ReputationRep:
    As mentioned above the group and written exercises are okay. The interview seems to vary depending on who you get - mine was quite commercial and focused a lot on the role of a lawyer. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're being watched every second of the day so don't let your guard down! Exercise-wise they are all quite straightforward and keep an eye on the time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyWoccy)
    Definitely emailing if Linklaters haven't offered WG/rejected by the end of this week
    Was thinking about doing the same. I received some offers but was putting them on hold since I wanted to see if Linklaters would take me. The wait is killing me!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from squires post app?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sian.)
    Nothing yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sian.)
    No, nothing yet as well, but someone did post around a week ago saying they've had a phone call about an AC but it seems no one else has yet.

ReputationRep:
    Interviews for Bristows (video interview) and RPC this week - any tips from those who have already done them?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.