Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pineappleface317)
    I just received an offer from UCL for Economics and I'm super happy about it but I'm not really sure if I want to live in London (far away from home etc). I was thinking of firming in Bristol? I was just wondering if people think I'm wasting an opportunity? I know Bristol is good but people keep telling me to firm UCL :/
    How come you don't want to live in London of you don't mind me asking? UCL is soooo much better for Economics, definitely one of the best in the country. Bristol is also good, but UCL is much better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomixox)
    How come you don't want to live in London of you don't mind me asking? UCL is soooo much better for Economics, definitely one of the best in the country. Bristol is also good, but UCL is much better
    Aha it's cool, big cities just stress me out horribly plus it's really far away from home :P Yeah I keep hearing about how good it is :P I feel like I would be wasting an opportunity.. ahhh so many decisions I need like 2 more years to think about it :L

ReputationRep:
    I just received an offer from UCL for Economics and I'm super happy about it but I'm not really sure if I want to live in London (far away from home etc). I was thinking of firming in Bristol? I was just wondering if people think I'm wasting an opportunity? I know Bristol is good but people keep telling me to firm UCL :/
    What do you plan to do after you graduate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    What do you plan to do when you graduate?
    I'm not entirely sure :P I'm mostly interested in development economics so I'll probably do something along those lines.. I think I'm just gonna focus on where to get the degree from first (assuming I get in) :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure :P I'm mostly interested in development economics so I'll probably do something along those lines.. I think I'm just gonna focus on where to get the degree from first (assuming I get in) :P
    Oh ok, just had to ask as most people in this thread want to go into Investment Banking in which case you should almost definitely choose UCL. Outside of that, there wouldn't be much difference in career prospects. For Development it would be more about how well you do at undergrad so you can get into a good postgrad program. Whilst UCL has the stronger course Bristol isn't too far behind, it's consistently top 10 http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...gs?s=economics.

I think there's a lot more to picking a uni than how well it's ranked so I'd say to take a good look at both courses in terms of the modules, and maybe visit both places if you haven't done so already (UCL has an compulsory offer holders day not sure if Bristol does something like this?), speak to students there on what they're like and pick whichever you'd feel would be best suited for you. They're both great choices so congrats on your offers

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Where are you off to in September?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Hi
    Where are you off to in September?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm looking to firm Cambridge, what about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katyhay12)
    I'm looking to firm Cambridge, what about yourself?
    snap! firmed Cambridge and insured warwick last week

which college?

ReputationRep:
    snap! firmed Cambridge and insured warwick last week

which college?
    Nicee! My insurance is LSE
    Pembroke! You?

ReputationRep:
    Nicee! My insurance is LSE
    Pembroke! You?
    Good insurance

Queens' woo

ReputationRep:
    Good insurance

Queens' woo
    Yours too! What's your offer?

ReputationRep:
    Yours too! What's your offer?
    A*AA in further maths, econ and englit any order

you?

I actually met a girl who has an offer for Pembroke for maths today coincidently aha

ReputationRep:
    A*AA in further maths, econ and englit any order

you?

I actually met a girl who has an offer for Pembroke for maths today coincidently aha
    Similar offer mine is A*AA in further maths, econ or physics any order and an A in maths. Have you already completed your A-Level maths?
    Oh really? That's pretty cool haha. I really liked Queens too, lovely college

ReputationRep:
    Similar offer mine is A*AA in further maths, econ or physics any order and an A in maths. Have you already completed your A-Level maths?
    Oh really? That's pretty cool haha. I really liked Queens too, lovely college
    nope haven't completed it, it's just not in my offer :rolleyes:

yeah we've practically got the same offer so that's not bad, could have been a*a*a so it's a decent offer really

ReputationRep:
    nope haven't completed it, it's just not in my offer :rolleyes:

yeah we've practically got the same offer so that's not bad, could have been a*a*a so it's a decent offer really
    Yes, it's a pretty nice offer compared to some of the others I've heard! One of my friends has an offer from Trinity for A*A*A*A in Maths, Econ and third A* in either FM or history!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's a pretty nice offer compared to some of the others I've heard! One of my friends has an offer from Trinity for A*A*A*A in Maths, Econ and third A* in either FM or history!
    omg is that for economics too? that's brutal

ReputationRep:
    omg is that for economics too? that's brutal
    Yeah they're really pushing him! Compared to that we certainly have it nicer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audi)
    Thanks for the reply! Would you say that the prospects from LSE management are more than Durham econ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A full time management course even at LSE sounds wishy washy in my opinion. Stick to economics at Durham

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ghl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buntar)
    Hi, I have firmed a place at York for BSc Economics and I think I'm going to get better results than predicted.

If this was to happen where do you think I'd have a chance of getting in through adjustment? I'm asking about places that are higher ranked than York, and preferably a BSc course, so UCL, Warwick and Bristol would be on the top of my list. Would also be interested in your opinions on Durham and Nottingham. I realise that these universities are rarely in adjustment and economics being a popular course makes it increasingly unlikely.

Would you say there's any hope though?
    Probably be firming York for econ & finance. I'd say you could probably get into Bristol in adjustment and that is it, don't think it's any better than York though. If you do loads better you could always take a gap year and reapply

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.