Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just sat the UKCAT today the QR and AR went really well, but the VR and SJT were tough.
    I did a lot of revison and it honestly didn't help with any section, except the AR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Docjones1)
    I'm not sure what you mean. If you're asking about the 1000q book I'm not sure because I haven't used it. Timing is certainly the most important part - get used to the questions with the 1000q book but certainly move onto timing yourself.
    I'll finish the 1000q book and then do medify QR just to make sure the book isn't too easy lol. Okay I will do thanks for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my UKCAT is in 9days and I have been only using the 1000q book. Should i sign up for medify too?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    So my UKCAT is on the 6th and I've done two medify mocks getting 850 670 850 (790 avg) in the first and 730 630 and 750 (703 avg) in the second. On the Kaplan mocks I've been getting around 690 average. But my low quantitative reasoning score is evident in all the mocks which is worrying me as its only gone above 700 once in about the 5 mocks I've done. I've tried many techniques to improve it but to no success. Should I be worried with a qr of 670ish on the mocks or not? How is the actual exam compared to medify/Kaplan? I don't want it to pull my overall score down by a great amount. Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    It's timing really I've only started working on it today so I really should be less harsh on myself but it takes forever and the online calculator I actually despise so much. I've started using the 1000q book for QR and haven't been timing it, is that a good or bad idea? Do you think I should start being strict now or do that later on when I'm more confident with the format?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    depends, when's your exam? If it's very soon then I don't think that's a good idea, but if you still have time then it's cool, that's what I'm doing actually. Imo do the questions in the 1000q isc book just to improve your mental maths skills and get used to solving problems (although the questions in that book are very hard, harder than the ones we'll get).

I'd recommend doing the questions in the books first in un-timed conditions and then once you feel more confident you should start timing yourself (doesn't necessarily have to be 36 seconds though, do 45 sec per Q first then ease yourself into it) and eventually you should be used to it. Oh and make sure you only use online resources a week before the exam so you get used to the format and how to use the calculator!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    QR was my worst section in mocks, never got above 650 and was usually 550-630 - got 740 in the real thing and some people seem to have had even bigger jumps I genuinely think the mark scale they're using is a lot more generous, plus the questions seem to be slightly easier.
    Also: if you don't have a number pad on your keyboard now or aren't using it, use it in the exam (you can practice in some of your DM time), it speeds you up so much!!
    What kind of topics came up in QR?

And well done on your score!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    depends, when's your exam? If it's very soon then I don't think that's a good idea, but if you still have time then it's cool, that's what I'm doing actually. Imo do the questions in the 1000q isc book just to improve your mental maths skills and get used to solving problems (although the questions in that book are very hard, harder than the ones we'll get).

I'd recommend doing the questions in the books first in un-timed conditions and then once you feel more confident you should start timing yourself (doesn't necessarily have to be 36 seconds though, do 45 sec per Q first then ease yourself into it) and eventually you should be used to it. Oh and make sure you only use online resources a week before the exam so you get used to the format and how to use the calculator!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it my exam is 15th September so I have a bit yet. Thank you so much I'll carry on practicing untimed and then later use 45 secs per question which seems much more manageable I love medify for all the other sections but for QR it's so stressful but I'll have to get used to it soon I guess. When is your exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it my exam is 15th September so I have a bit yet. Thank you so much I'll carry on practicing untimed and then later use 45 secs per question which seems much more manageable I love medify for all the other sections but for QR it's so stressful but I'll have to get used to it soon I guess. When is your exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem. You've still got plenty of time left which is great. Mine's on the 22nd haha so quite a while away. If you need help with anything else then just let me know!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    No problem. You've still got plenty of time left which is great. Mine's on the 22nd haha so quite a while away. If you need help with anything else then just let me know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you good luck with yours! I wish I had as long as you do but I've already pushed my exam back 2 times, I'm not doing it for a third time lmao 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Docjones1)
    VR 790
    QR 890
    AR 680
    Band 1

Are you using medify? Their questions are very hard but that means you'll be more prepared when it comes to it.

Generally it doesn't require higher level knowledge, so if you're doing a question with anything more difficult that percentage changes you're probably doing something wrong. Also, just as with the rest of the UKCAT, spend a decent amount of time on each question and if you're stumped or working through it slowly - move on to the next!
    Wow that's amazing well done, do you have any tips on how to get a band 1 and did you only use medify to prepare for the SJT ?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Sat my UKCAT and got average 667 (2000 total) and Band 2 SJT.

GCSEs: 4A*, 5A, 2B
    A2 Predictions: A*AA

What medical schools will I be best off applying to?
    I've been looking at Edinburgh but apparently they're really GCSE heavy.
    I'm also considering Imperial and Leeds but I'm aware I'll have to sit the BMAT.

Any help Is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nihil_nimis)
    Wow that's amazing well done, do you have any tips on how to get a band 1 and did you only use medify to prepare for the SJT ?

Thank you.
    Medify - make sure you review and reflect on your incorrect answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L1234567)
    What kind of topics came up in QR?

And well done on your score!
    I mainly just remember a lot of piecharts
    But none of it was very complicated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    I mainly just remember a lot of piecharts
    But none of it was very complicated.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Damn thats bad. Good luck buddy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nitashaaxx)
    Hey everyone, averaged 640 with Band 2 in SJT on UKCAT today
    VR: 650
    Q: 680
    AR: 590 (well excuse you)

Any help on where to apply with this low score? KCL and QM deff outta the window D:

Also does anyone know where places like Manchester, Barts, Bristol and Birmingham stand on UKCAT heaviness (i.e cut-offs for interview places)

Any help is much appreciated
    Birmingham is very GCSE heavy, and I think 10% UKCAT. Check them out?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, tips for VR? I'm awful at it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Medify, 1000Q and medic portal. Havnt done the official ones yet. Oh okay, thanks for the advice! I'm really bad at doing that, I lose track of time when I'm trying to work something out haha
    Hi! I've been considering getting medic portal - how good is it? I already have medify so is medic portal a lot like that? Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizzywaterbottle)
    Hey guys, tips for VR? I'm awful at it
    I felt the same way at first but it's all about practice as now I really love VR ( well until the day I take the test anyway as apparently VR is hard on the day)

Never read the passage. Try to pick key words out of the questions and scan for those. If it's a hard question always guess, flag and move on. True, false, can't tell, comes with practice just remember things are only false if something contradicts it in the actual passage and can't tell if you need more info. I find the 4 statement comprehension questions really difficult still with timing so I normally flag those ones as it takes a while to eliminate answers/find the correct one. If you don't already have it, I would recommend medify as it shows you how long you took per question which is really helpful in working out how on track you are. The 1000q isc book has really hard VR questions which is good to use to prepare yourself as well just keep practicing and I'm sure you'll do fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrisonGCSE)
    Got 730 band 2
    Does this eliminate me from any universities?
    Basically no. Excellent score well done

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.