Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I asked this on my OCD Awareness thread but thought I'd ask here too. Its to help me with my upcoming media portrayal of OCD thread for Friday

So you may have seen t shirts, jumpers, posters etc lately saying "I have OCD - Obsessive Christmas Disorder!" or even things like "OCD - Obsessive Cat Disorder", "I have CDO - Its OCD but the right way around". These kind of items have become popular in recent years and as you can imagine, they have created a backlash among many.

How do you guys feel about this? I can take a joke with the best of them and I'm not easily offended but I do feel its wrong to trivialize an illness that already has so many misconceptions and I kind of feel like doing this only adds to the misconceptions and plays down the seriousness of the condition. If OCD stood for a serious physical disease, say a cancer, I personally feel like people wouldn't be so quick to make jokes about it.

There's no right or wrong answer but any input you could give would be very much appreciated and I will be using the answers along with my thread on media portrayals of OCD on Friday.

Thanks
    Completely agree with what you typed above. It's the kinda issue where, when I was younger/less wise/more naive, I may have relished buying and wearing an "Obsessive Christmas Disorder" T-shirt. But I know better now. It's just not on, tbh. We can never educate the next generation whilst such trivialising is allowed to continue.

To illustrate your point with another example: it's no more OK to wear these kinda T-shirts than it is to say "that's so gaaaaaaay", using gay as some kinda derogatory word.

We need to challenge and change the way we all think, and part of that is learning what language to use/how to use language appropriately.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Completely agree with what you typed above. It's the kinda issue where, when I was younger/less wise/more naive, I may have relished buying and wearing an "Obsessive Christmas Disorder" T-shirt. But I know better now. It's just not on, tbh. We can never educate the next generation whilst such trivialising is allowed to continue.

To illustrate your point with another example: it's no more OK to wear these kinda T-shirts than it is to say "that's so gaaaaaaay", using gay as some kinda derogatory word.

We need to challenge and change the way we all think, and part of that is learning what language to use/how to use language appropriately.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting now
    I'm with you 100% on all your points :yep:

When I went to get my PIP form filled out recently, the woman was asking me my illnesses and then she came out with "I have OCD too...Obsessive Christmas Disorder" :facepalm:I didn't know whether to laugh or smack her. I just kind of sat there in disbelief.

I'm tempted to post this question on FB where many of the people I know post those bloody 'OCD' Christmas posts and memes :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I'm with you 100% on all your points :yep:

When I went to get my PIP form filled out recently, the woman was asking me my illnesses and then she came out with "I have OCD too...Obsessive Christmas Disorder" :facepalm:I didn't know whether to laugh or smack her. I just kind of sat there in disbelief.

I'm tempted to post this question on FB where many of the people I know post those bloody obsessive Christmas posts :teehee:
    :jumphug: I don't think anyone's ever been that rude to my face. I wouldn't know what to do either, in that situation :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinnie)
    That sounds reasonable. I'm sorry they're making this so hard for you, it's really not what you need right now on top of everything :console:

Please don't put yourself down, you're such a nice person, so helpful and supportive... you're not going to fail
    I'm actually thinking of giving up on this letter. Only one of my classes is in the morning so they'd be the only during-semester exams I have (I don't know when my finals will be though). But I just feel like what's the point in pursuing this? It's the class I've already failed twice before, and I am on track to fail again. Got 45% on my last exam ffs. :cry2: I don't know what to do tbh.

That's great news about the clozapine btw! :five: Aripiprazole gave me really bad insomnia so hope you don't get that side effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    It's to clear up lose ends with any remaining physical symptoms that still cause me distress. So it's a symptom diary and then I write down associated thoughts/feelings and question how they might be contributing and try out alternative explanations rather than immediately presuming it's a sign of a serious illness.

Yep he's said I can call if I'm struggling.
    Oh I can see the logic there. I really hope it helps you. It's awesome you can call if you struggle, dealing with stuff alone can be so difficult so it's good you've got that net there. My PM box is always open if you want another point of view.

ReputationRep:
    Horrible migraine attack. It's hurting my face and making me cry. Have both my phone and laptop on lowest light setting as I have to do work. Can't stop. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Horrible migraine attack. It's hurting my face and making me cry. Have both my phone and laptop on lowest light setting as I have to do work. Can't stop. :cry2:
    That's awful, I'm sorry. I used to get these really bad I found an ice pack wrapped up in a tshirt on my face helped a bit, at least around the sinuses and temples, the same with cloths soaked in cold water. I hope it passes soon :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    That's awful, I'm sorry. I used to get these really bad I found an ice pack wrapped up in a tshirt on my face helped a bit, at least around the sinuses and temples, the same with cloths soaked in cold water. I hope it passes soon :console:
    My boyfriend has put my ice pack in the freezer for me. I also have taken the migraine painkillers I was given today by my GP. No luck yet. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend has put my ice pack in the freezer for me. I also have taken the migraine painkillers I was given today by my GP. No luck yet. :hugs:
    Do you have any Vicks vapour rub?

ReputationRep:
    You got sunglasses? I used to get med related migranes and used to wear sunglasses inside and it helped so much. I looked stupid but i wasnt in as much pain

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Do you have any Vicks vapour rub?
    No. Can't stand the stuff anymore. Got it used too much as a kid.

(Original post by PandaWho)
    You got sunglasses? I used to get med related migranes and used to wear sunglasses inside and it helped so much. I looked stupid but i wasnt in as much pain

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do. And thankfully they are prescription ones. Idk where they are though. Might just give up tonight.

ReputationRep:
    I asked this on my OCD Awareness thread but thought I'd ask here too. Its to help me with my upcoming media portrayal of OCD thread for Friday

So you may have seen t shirts, jumpers, posters etc lately saying "I have OCD - Obsessive Christmas Disorder!" or even things like "OCD - Obsessive Cat Disorder", "I have CDO - Its OCD but the right way around". These kind of items have become popular in recent years and as you can imagine, they have created a backlash among many.

How do you guys feel about this? I can take a joke with the best of them and I'm not easily offended but I do feel its wrong to trivialize an illness that already has so many misconceptions and I kind of feel like doing this only adds to the misconceptions and plays down the seriousness of the condition. If OCD stood for a serious physical disease, say a cancer, I personally feel like people wouldn't be so quick to make jokes about it.

There's no right or wrong answer but any input you could give would be very much appreciated and I will be using the answers along with my thread on media portrayals of OCD on Friday.

Thanks
    It's an interesting topic. I went to see The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time at the theatre last year. For those that don't know, it's about a young person on the autistic spectrum, based on the novel of the same name. They were selling t-shirts that said "I find people confusing" on them as it's a quote from the play. I'm autistic and I didn't have a problem with it, I even bought one. I think the thing here is that it's not joking about the condition and actually it's not something that's specific to autism - I think everyone must have felt like that at some point, plus it's specific to a show - just like you can buy t-shirts at concerts.

Personally I'm not offended by the OCD shirts described (it does take a lot to offend me though!) but I think they're pretty tacky and I wonder why anyone would wear them. For me it doesn't seem as though they're mocking people with OCD, rather just showing the manufacturer's ignorance about the illness. I think one problem with them though is that they buy into the stereotypes about the condition - i.e. it's all about being obsessive and/or really pernickety about something. For me, my OCD mainly manifests itself as intrusive thoughts/images and magical thinking and it seems many people don't know about that side of it. I'm better than I was but when I was a lot younger (around 13-16) that side of it was really hellish all the time and it really felt like I was completely and utterly losing my mind. I feel that more needs to be done to move away from the stereotypes of hand-washing, cleaning etc. and to educate people about other aspects of the condition and those sort of t-shirts don't really help.

I kind of rambled a bit, I hope it's okay

Congrats on the thread by the way, I've been looking here but not posting as I've been so out of it on meds so even writing the smallest of things has been a real challenge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LesPaul_Player91)
    It's an interesting topic. I went to see The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time at the theatre last year. For those that don't know, it's about a young person on the autistic spectrum, based on the novel of the same name. They were selling t-shirts that said "I find people confusing" on them as it's a quote from the play. I'm autistic and I didn't have a problem with it, I even bought one. I think the thing here is that it's not joking about the condition and actually it's not something that's specific to autism - I think everyone must have felt like that at some point, plus it's specific to a show - just like you can buy t-shirts at concerts.

Personally I'm not offended by the OCD shirts described (it does take a lot to offend me though!) but I think they're pretty tacky and I wonder why anyone would wear them. For me it doesn't seem as though they're mocking people with OCD, rather just showing the manufacturer's ignorance about the illness. I think one problem with them though is that they buy into the stereotypes about the condition - i.e. it's all about being obsessive and/or really pernickety about something. For me, my OCD mainly manifests itself as intrusive thoughts/images and magical thinking and it seems many people don't know about that side of it. I'm better than I was but when I was a lot younger (around 13-16) that side of it was really hellish all the time and it really felt like I was completely and utterly losing my mind. I feel that more needs to be done to move away from the stereotypes of hand-washing, cleaning etc. and to educate people about other aspects of the condition and those sort of t-shirts don't really help.

I kind of rambled a bit, I hope it's okay

Congrats on the thread by the way, I've been looking here but not posting as I've been so out of it on meds so even writing the smallest of things has been a real challenge
    Thank you so much for your input your points have really helped me out when putting together the thread for Friday :hugs:

Sorry to hear how you have been feeling with your meds are you on a new medication or a stronger dose?

ReputationRep:
    I've taken 5 days off this year so far, all for the same illness. It's not great, I know, but it couldn't be helped. This is being backed up by a doctor. I had a serious chest infection and two asthma attacks as a result of complications from a cold I caught at college, and even ended up in hospital. That's not my fault, right? My tutor took me aside today to ask me if I really thought I'd be able to manage the course because of my illness (CFS/ME and FM). I was feeling really good about filling in my UCAS forms today less than an hour earlier, and now I'm doubting myself all over again. I've been doing so much better already and he isn't seeing that. We're not even at half term yet. I've tried so hard and I've put so much in, and no one's even realising. There's people in my class without legitimate reason that have been off for the same amount of days or more than me, and they aren't being asked to reconsider. I feel like I'm letting people down

ReputationRep:
    I hope you find relief soon :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I've got glandular fever, which isn't really that infectious unless your in really close proximity, and my housemate has mouthed off that I shouldn't be in communal areas of the house. Naturally this has set off feelings of being lonely/ unwanted... and I'm going to go to a hotel tomorrow night because I can't deal with it

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, interesting. I'm kind of aware that it could get out of hand, and for some, it can be sawn as a joke, but for others, it could be quite offensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Therapist having to pass on info I shared in therapy to safeguarding team 🙁

I hate that I knew the boundaries of what I could talk about without triggering this and when I dissociated, I went way beyond them. Now my life will implode 🙁🙁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Tara~)
    Therapist having to pass on info I shared in therapy to safeguarding team 🙁

I hate that I knew the boundaries of what I could talk about without triggering this and when I dissociated, I went way beyond them. Now my life will implode 🙁🙁
    :hugs: Sharing is not a decision they take lightly though hopefully they'll be able to help you by doing so. I know it feels very "oh ****" but try to keep calm. Have they told you anything about what might happen?

ReputationRep:
    really alone.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.