Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your response. I'm in the process of contacting the undergraduate admission offices to ask directly about this. From your feedback, it looks like I need to start additional study.

Interestingly, the recent study rule doesn't seem to be as strict or stipulated at postgraduate level. Sheffield for instance asks for study to be completed with the last ten years instead of five.

So I take it I can choose to do either an Access Module / A level then? I'd have to apply for a loan to fund this also.

R

(Original post by shropshirelass51)
    Hi,
    I have been offered a place at BCU for the undergraduate course for September. I am a mature student and have a BA in Social Science and an MA in Early Childhood. I am not 100% sure, but think Uni's are fairly strict on the recent recent study requirement. I sent a reference from a school I was working in and this was not considered adequate and I was asked to supply an academic reference of recent / current study. I was taking a psychology course with the Open University and was able to do this, My offer was unconditional, probably because I had also studied and passed a psychology module the year before. I know other graduates who have taken the access course and done psychology A level and they have have been offered places subject to passing them at an appropriate level.

It sounds like you have a wide range of experience to draw upon in your application. It may be worth emailing individual Universities about their recent study criteria so you know where you stand. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richardwr)
    Thanks a lot for your response. I'm in the process of contacting the undergraduate admission offices to ask directly about this. From your feedback, it looks like I need to start additional study.

Interestingly, the recent study rule doesn't seem to be as strict or stipulated at postgraduate level. Sheffield for instance asks for study to be completed with the last ten years instead of five.

So I take it I can choose to do either an Access Module / A level then? I'd have to apply for a loan to fund this also.

R
    Sorry I don't know anything about funding. My OU course was self financed.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again.
    I would say your best bet is to contact the unis directly as literally every university is different. I'm a classic example of that.

I did my first year in linguistics last year and continued into 2nd year this year. But, at around Christmas time I decided I wanted to see if I could get onto a speech therapy course sooner rather than waiting till after I graduate and incur more debt. So, I emailed literally every uni offering it asking if they would consider my application.

Like you I wasn't a typical offer because my A-levels aren't the best (BBC) and my GCSEs are even worse so I hardly met any of the conditions based solely on that. I asked if my 2.1 in my first year swayed them and made up for me missing the a level requirements. Loads of unis said no, Cadiff said no because I didn't have a B in math GCSE (guttening cause I liked the look of it) it was proper frustrating but eventually a couple said yes (Leeds, Manc Met, DMU, Strathclyde and Queen Margaret - just in case you want to email them as they seem flexible) Strath gave me an unconditional straight off, Manc and Leeds later rejected me but DMU gave me an interview and then an offer (reading over the interview feedback it's because I nailed the interview day) meaning I just withdrew from Queens, so now I'm going to DMU in like 10 weeks studying my dream course haha!

My point is that none of this would've happened if I hadn't emailed them. You're in the fortunate position that you're doing this before UCAS opens next year so now is the perfect time to contact them, I MADE SURE the DMU people knew my name when I sent the email and that they'd keep an eye out for my application so it made it more likely they'd take me seriously considering I applied so late (in January just before the deadline) it was a risk and is probably why Leeds especially didn't interview me.

I know this seems like a big ramble but I just wanted you to know that places are flexible for the right candidates, I am miles off the typical requirements for Strath and DMU but because I chased them, had a lot of work experience and had done well in my first year on a relevant programme they took a chance. I should add DMU seem to take people on a case by case basis because I met a 2nd year who hadn't even gotten any a levels but because she was an SaLT assistant for a couple of years they got her to prove her academic ability by getting her to submit an essay and then they gave her an offer - so definitely contact them.

Goooooood luck,

Jordan.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot Jordan. That's great advice.

I've contacted all 7 of the unis I intend to apply to and the general consensus is that it's best for me to improve my application with evidence of more recent study so I'm planning to start an Access Course this September or an AS.

Richard

ReputationRep:

I've contacted all 7 of the unis I intend to apply to and the general consensus is that it's best for me to improve my application with evidence of more recent study so I'm planning to start an Access Course this September or an AS.

Richard
    What made you consider speech and language therapy?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Uz25,

Always been interested but have spent the past few years teaching languages and working in the charity sector and wanted a change.

My Dad had a TIA and one of my best friends has a stammer so it's always something I've wanted to know more about. The odd bit of shadowing I've managed to get has totally hooked me...fascinating stuff

ReputationRep:
    Hi Uz25,

Always been interested but have spent the past few years teaching languages and working in the charity sector and wanted a change.

My Dad had a TIA and one of my best friends has a stammer so it's always something I've wanted to know more about. The odd bit of shadowing I've managed to get has totally hooked me...fascinating stuff
    Hey ooooo that's interesting for you! I'm going to apply for uni in Sept/ Oct time hopefully. So far i've made lists of uni courses and will read into depth. So far the courses that i'm considering are: Dietetics, Primary Education,Radiography so on.. as you can see i have no clue what course i want to do! Lol

ReputationRep:

Richard
    Hi Richard

I am a mature student who has just completed the Access course. I found that A levels were only open to me through the OU because of my age, so this was my preferred option. It is a really intensive course, but certainly helped me to feel more prepared to study again in September.

As far as funding goes, if you are over 24, then you apply for a 24+ student loan for the Access course. This is through Student Finance, but the benefit is that if you complete a degree course within a certain time (5 years I think...) the loan is written off so you don't have to repay any of it. I'm not sure about under 24s as I don't fall into this category.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot. Yes, I've had some universities come back to me saying that an AS wouldn't be accepted for a mature student in my position so I'm looking at Access Courses. I'm yet to actually identify whether the OU offer Access Courses and if I should consider their courses/if they are funded and so I can also apply for the 24+ loan.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have a number of books and magazines that I purchased for when I was planning on studying speech and language therapy but as I was but successful I no longer need them! I would like £3 per book plus postage for each one. Email me if you want any of them [email protected]. Attachment 441029Attachment 441031Attachment 441033

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smorsgabord)
    Hi I have a number of books and magazines that I purchased for when I was planning on studying speech and language therapy but as I was but successful I no longer need them! I would like £3 per book plus postage for each one. Email me if you want any of them [email protected]. Attachment 441029Attachment 441031Attachment 441033

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why not keep them and reapply next year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smorsgabord)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree with JordanC55. However if you really need to sell. There's a Facebook group call UK Speech Therapy Book/Resource Selling. You can sell there. That maybe a better option as most people on here won't know what books will be useful to them at their specific university until they start in September.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I applied two years in a row with no luck, so I can no longer apply to my preferred choice of UCL as once you have reached the interview stage twice you have to wait two years before you can reapply. Besides I start teacher training in September so don't need most of them. Thanks for tip 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Had my Occupational Health interview today for BCU - I was expecting to attend a meeting, but they phoned me and carried it out over the phone. My DBS has arrived and I have my ACCESS results, so I'm taking those in and that's it! It's hard to believe that I am really going to Uni in September!

ReputationRep:
    Yay!! Well done for passing your Access Course! Glad to hear it's all systems go on your end! I haven't heard from BCU yet about my health interview...hope it's coming up soon*

ReputationRep:
    I finally sorted my crb check and bursary sorted so here we go!

Just gotta hear back :.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaaySLT)
    Yay!! Well done for passing your Access Course! Glad to hear it's all systems go on your end! I haven't heard from BCU yet about my health interview...hope it's coming up soon*
    Thank you.

I was getting worried as I hadn't heard from OH and knew I would be interviewed because of a condition I had to declare. I was surprised when the phone call became the interview, as I was expecting a face-face meeting. Hopefully you'll hear soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsrev)
    Thank you.

I was getting worried as I hadn't heard from OH and knew I would be interviewed because of a condition I had to declare. I was surprised when the phone call became the interview, as I was expecting a face-face meeting. Hopefully you'll hear soon.
    Really pleased to hear that. I am still waiting to hear and like you expect an interview, so fingers crossed. I haven't done my DBS yet so may be they wait until they receive that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaaySLT)
    I haven't heard yet either and sent the form back ages ago. Have you done your DBS yet? I wonder if they are waiting to get that back. I have an appointment to do mine on the last date in July.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.