Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pursuedbyabear)
    Coursework-heavy week this week, but glad to get it over with so I can focus on revision Seeing the exam timetable makes it seem so much more real!
    You've already gotten the exam time table?! :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGGUS)
    Did anyone else fail the English mock exam?
    in year 10 yep
    Not sure what I got in the mock a couple weeks ago, but the teacher said I did amazing

Don't worry, exam technique will probably help you which you'll work on soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnimeFreak101)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've got mine too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeFeuilly)
    Agh, absolutely ridiculous - my school had our history mock (it was absolutely evil) yesterday and today I found out that certain people within my own class cheated and had looked at both papers prior to it beginning and, evidently, had time to plan out their answers as they finished a whole twenty-something minutes before everyone else >_<

Consequently, I'm stuck in a dilemma in regards to whether or not I should actually tell my teacher (as we were all made to sign forms declaring our "academic honesty" at the beginning of the year). What should I do?
    How did they find out the questions? :eek:
    Did your school not use the June 2014 series?

The past papers for June 2014 aren't available online... could they have predicted the questions? (It's possible for History to predict a couple)

Like for the June 2015 exams I think something about "Nazi opposition" for Hitler's Germany will crop up, as it's new to the spec... Maybe something to do with Afghanistan for the Crises of the Cold War too as that's new to that section

For AQA B

However, I wouldn't grass if I were you because they only cheated themselves if they did somehow cheat... I doubt the teachers would be able to do much apart from lecture them on how cheating isn't good!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes! A week or so ago now, I think - but we still haven't got our mock timetables yet (which start within the next few weeks).

ReputationRep:
    guys what are your predicted grades and what type of school do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people want the mark schemes for the mock papers! What's the point of cheating and getting a bad grade, or you could work hard and get A*'s! 😂

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody correct this please.

Explore the ways Steinbeck creates sympathy for Curley’s wife:

The novella ‘Of Mice and Men’ was written by John Steinbeck during the Great Depression, 1930’s. The Great Depression was a period of hardship for the majority of people in America as the country was experiencing an economic depression. (Should I write about George and Lennie being migrant workers or just focus the introduction on Curley’s wife) Curley’s wife is the only women on the ranch who is frequently discriminated by the other men who live in the bunk house. Steinbeck uses the themes of loneliness to make the reader feel sympathy for her. Women in America were still seen as inferior to the men.

Steinbeck uses metaphors to create a sense of desperation through the character ‘Curley’s wife’. Steinbeck describes Curley’s wife hair as ‘rolled [in] clusters like sausages’, ‘rolled’ and ‘clusters’ suggest the vast amount of time and effort she spent attempting to make her hair look elaborate. During the readers first introduction to Curley’s wife we can see that she is obviously concerned deeply about her appearance and how other people perceive her, otherwise she would have not spent so much time trying to make her hair look appealing. The readers pity Curley’s wife as she is so insecure about her appearance that she has to spend so much time on making herself look presentable. However, her hair being illustrated as sausages implies that her hair looks unattractive as sausages are fat and greasy with a mushy texture. Curley’s wife is determined to make herself look good. The reader can deduce that Curley’s wife craves attention because she would not have spent that much time doing her hair if it was not to get someone’s attention. The reader feels sympathetic for her as she yearns for attention.

Steinbeck presents Curley’s wife to the readers as very sexual and promiscuous character. Her face was ‘heavily made up’; she is attempting to make herself look elegant because she is infatuated with how people perceive her. However, she could have also plastered the heavy makeup on her face to hide the true, genuine self. She wears her make up as a facade. She could be embarrassed to show the true her so she has to cover it up so she can feel more confident. The readers feel pitiful for her because she is unconfident and has to use her make up as a mask to conceal her true identity. Her face could also be ‘heavily made up’ because she could be in an abusive relationship. The readers are aware that Curley is a fighter, he could abuse her and she has to cover her scars so people don’t notice that she is in an abusive relationship. (Do I need to back this up with extra information?) This creates a sense of sympathy because she is in a broken relationship, where she is being neglected. She can not leave the relationship as she has nowhere to go as she is a woman in a male dominated society. Since the ranch is a microcosm of America in the 1930’s, she was discriminated and maltreated on the ranch so this reflects how she would be treated during the Great Depressions.

She wore shoes with ‘red ostrich feathers’, the connotations of the word ‘red’ suggests: lust, passion and intensity however, it also suggests danger, violence and blood. Ostriches are birds that can not fly, Steinbeck could be portraying her as a woman who is stuck in Soledad and can not escape from there because she is a woman who is seen as inferior to the other men on the ranch. The readers feel apologetic for her because she had a dream but it was unattainable due to the fact that she was a women living in a prejudice society. Steinbeck is criticising the American dream because he believes that it was unachievable for a woman in a sexist society.

Curley’s wife is described as ‘jail bait’ she uses her sexuality and beauty as a weapon. In ways she is more powerful than the men because she is the only women, so she can use her power to attract men. Her being described as ‘bait’ suggests that her only use is to lure people into a trap, baits too are feeble and eventually die. Steinbeck could be foreshadowing events. She lures Lennie into her trap and he eventually dies. Curley’s wife uses her eyes to exert her power on the men. She uses her eyes to lure men into her trap too ‘her eyes travelled from one face to another’, Candy and Crooks avoid her gaze but Lennie ‘watched her fascinated’ by them and not scared by her power but instead trapped by it. Lennie eventually died. His death could show that Curley’s wife was nothing but a nuisance. The readers do not feel sorry for Curley’s wife as she is a troublesome character and catalysis’s dangerous events in the novella.

Steinbeck uses the theme of loneliness to create sympathy for Curley’s wife, being the only women on a ranch in the 1930’s was very lonely as the men saw her as inferior and less important. So the only way she can get the attention she craves is through her sexuality otherwise the men would not talk to her. She is trapped in a loveless marriage, Curley and his wife are actually seen together until the end of the novella and when she is dead he offers no companionship at all. He does not even touch her when she dies, Slim ‘explored her neck’, this shows that Slim offers more emotion to Curley’s wife, even though Curley is married to her. The readers feel sorry for her because she must have been so depressed in her marriage because no love was shown to her by her husband, therefore this must have caused to her to seek the attention of other men. If Curley had shown her more compassion she would not be as interested in Lennie so she would not be dead. In a way, Curley is responsible for the death of his wife. She is aware that ‘they all went’ ‘even Curley’ to a brothel. Maybe talking to other men on the ranch is a method her destroying her relationship by disobeying his order, not to talk to the other men on the ranch. This could be revenge for treating her inadequately. The fact that Curley has to get intimate with other women when he is married makes the reader feel very sorry for her because the whole point of marriage is commitment and he is not abiding by his promise. She gets ‘awful lonely’ even though she is married. She has the confident to tell Lennie that she is lonely must show severity of her isolation. The word ‘awful’ suggests that the loneliness is unbearable and she desire for some consideration. She has the life that Lennie, George and Candy want to achieve through their American dream. This is ironic as she has house that she does not want to live in and finical support therefore she never has to work again, where as Lennie, George and Candy do not. Yet she is still not content, she wants human companionship. ‘Glove fulla Vaseline’ suggest that Curley is only with Curley’s wife for physical desire not emotional purposes.

The fact that Curley’s wife does not have a name shows her insignificance on the ranch. The apostrophe shows that she belongs to Curley as his possession. This is also a sign of male oppression in the 1930’s. The readers feel sorry for her as she is not seen as an individual but an object; this makes the reader distressed as she is a human being who deserves respect and equality. Also the ‘glove fulla Vaseline’ demonstrates that Curley is showing off to the other men on the ranch. He is portraying it as a trophy. This makes the reader feel angry because something that intimate is meant to kept private not broadcasted to the whole world and this makes them pity Curley’s wife as she can not do anything about the situation because Curley wont not listen to her. In Curley’s wife final moments ‘Lennie’s other hand closed around her mouth’, this could be symbolic for men trying to silence women during this period of time. The reader feels sorry for Curley’s wife as she is not listened to by men on the ranch. This is similar for the life of a woman in America during the 1930’s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    How did they find out the questions? :eek:
    Did your school not use the June 2014 series?

The past papers for June 2014 aren't available online... could they have predicted the questions? (It's possible for History to predict a couple)

Like for the June 2015 exams I think something about "Nazi opposition" for Hitler's Germany will crop up, as it's new to the spec... Maybe something to do with Afghanistan for the Crises of the Cold War too as that's new to that section

For AQA B

However, I wouldn't grass if I were you because they only cheated themselves if they did somehow cheat... I doubt the teachers would be able to do much apart from lecture them on how cheating isn't good!
    To my understanding, they had actually seen the paper prior to the test beginning; I don't know which series it was, though - there was no cover sheet on our paper (which was handed out after the examiner finished reading the instructions as, ironically, the same people in my class who cheated had overturned their question sheets early in the last history session) :/

And yeah, I ended up not telling any authority figures post-exam, but thank you anyway

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aaaaaaaaaaaand the realisation of sitting in an exam hall in four months time hits me ... Yet the only notice I've gotten from my school was an email stating I need to buy a graphical calculator next year ... Welp ...

(Original post by OGGUS)
    guys what are your predicted grades and what type of school do you go to?
    I go to an international school (basically Hong Kong's version of a "private" school that's somewhat more lenient and relaxed than public schools here), and all of my predicted grades are within A* and B with a GPA of 6.6 (not particularly impressive in comparison to my friends whom all are getting 7-point-whatevers). What about you?

ReputationRep:
    What's up guyz... Im kinda new on TSR
    Ofcourse im in Year 11 and im taking aIhcse in may.Lets say im blank, where do i start?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    IGCSE*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solomon's Wisdom)
    What's up guyz... Im kinda new on TSR
    Ofcourse im in Year 11 and im taking aIhcse in may.Lets say im blank, where do i start?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Firstly, welcome to TSR

Feel free to start off with anything you're interested in - I literally joined a week ago during my mocks and the first thing I saw on this thread were a bunch of conversations based around graph paper and how it irritates most people :P

If you're keen on starting conversations, go ahead and ask cliched questions that are bound to create some conversation - these can include: "what are you taking for your subjects?" and "are you doing IB, A-levels or any other equivalent qualification next year?", for example.

As I've stated the above questions, I'll start I chose Spanish, History, Drama and Business Studies as my optional subjects, with my compulsory iGCSEs being English Language (I did this last year - A* ), World Literature, Mathematics, IT and Double Award Science.

In regards to the latter question, I'm doing IB; my subject choices were HL History, Philosophy and English Lang Lit alongside SL Spanish B, Maths Studies and Biology.

I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx_xx_sarah)
    Can somebody correct this please.

Explore the ways Steinbeck creates sympathy for Curley’s wife:

The novella ‘Of Mice and Men’ was written by John Steinbeck during the Great Depression, 1930’s.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I haven't studied OMAM but I'll check your work in a bit if I get a chance... but the 1930s aren't owned by anyone

ReputationRep:
    Aaaaaaaaaaaand the realisation of sitting in an exam hall in four months time hits me ... Yet the only notice I've gotten from my school was an email stating I need to buy a graphical calculator next year ... Welp ...

I go to an international school (basically Hong Kong's version of a "private" school that's somewhat more lenient and relaxed than public schools here), and all of my predicted grades are within A* and B with a GPA of 6.6 (not particularly impressive in comparison to my friends whom all are getting 7-point-whatevers). What about you?
    Well basically
    Maths-A*
    Further Maths-A*
    English-B
    Science-A
    Additional Science-A
    Environmental Science-B
    Sociology-B
    Religion and society(short course) A
    French-A
    Geography-A
    Urdu-B
    Functional skills ICT level 2-pass
    and I think that's it

ReputationRep:
    To my understanding, they had actually seen the paper prior to the test beginning; I don't know which series it was, though - there was no cover sheet on our paper (which was handed out after the examiner finished reading the instructions as, ironically, the same people in my class who cheated had overturned their question sheets early in the last history session) :/

And yeah, I ended up not telling any authority figures post-exam, but thank you anyway
    So they got extra time?
    Although it's cheating, it's not testing their time management
    If they finished in 25 minutes, surely they would have had the same amount of time as you spent - if not less; the invigilator's instructions normally is only 3-4 minutes ! (assuming it's 35 minutes per topic)

ReputationRep:
    In year 10 I failed mainly Geography, English and French

ReputationRep:
    Literally had all the exams below

OCR B geography
    GCSE MATHS
    GCSE PHYSICS- 2
    GCSE BIOLOGY - 2
    GCSE CHEMISTRY- 2
    GCSE ENGLISH - 2
    GCSE RE - (forced by our school)
    BTEC ICT
    BTEC BUSINESS

ReputationRep:
    Hey, new to student room so thought I would tell everyone where I'm at:
    my A Level choices are maths, further maths, economics, history and physics/computing. I haven't decided whether to do physics or computing yet, they are both strong subjects for me but I enjoy computing much more. My only worry is I know some universities see computing as a 'soft' subject but will me doing 5 AS cancel this out? I want to do economics at uni so I would drop computing at AS. Although if I change my mind and want to do a maths degree I would drop history and then physics would be much a better A Level than computing. Can anyone help :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeniulsyEvil)
    Literally had all the exams below

OCR B geography
    GCSE MATHS
    GCSE PHYSICS- 2
    GCSE BIOLOGY - 2
    GCSE CHEMISTRY- 2
    GCSE ENGLISH - 2
    GCSE RE - (forced by our school)
    BTEC ICT
    BTEC BUSINESS
    How come it's force... Mine is that you have to do it, I would do it anyways cuz it's easy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.