• Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by physicsphysics91)
    Yes, no reason why you wouldnt.
    Eh? :holmes: That makes no sense to my original question

EDIT: Scratch that; my post made no sense. I was meant to ask 'when should I look at trying to get work experience in a school?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    Eh? :holmes: That makes no sense to my original question

EDIT: Scratch that; my post made no sense. I was meant to ask 'when should I look at trying to get work experience in a school?'
    If youre going for 2017 entry then its best to get some in September when schools re-open as according y
    to UCAS most PGCE courses open for applications from October onwards. Even though you can apply until plaves run out its probably best to get as much as you can as early as you can.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by melinae)
    If youre going for 2017 entry then its best to get some in September when schools re-open as according y
    to UCAS most PGCE courses open for applications from October onwards. Even though you can apply until plaves run out its probably best to get as much as you can as early as you can.
    Thank you Hopefully I'll have a day or two off timetable in uni each week so I'm able to get into a local school in Manchester

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Hopefully I'll have a day or two off timetable in uni each week so I'm able to get into a local school in Manchester
    What subject are you wanting to teach? I'm applying for 2016/17 entry too!

ReputationRep:
    I do not remember the student finance application deadine being so early when I was in sixth form, I'm so glad I checked!

It's 27th May for anyone who has yet to apply (a bit strange given that you can still apply for places after that?).

That is for new students but I don't know if we count as new? If so the Welsh deadline is this Friday!

ReputationRep:
    Hey all

PGCE Computer Science with ICT at Notts Trent

Just gotta squeeze in my last couple of observations... starting to feel real!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by anna__)
    What subject are you wanting to teach? I'm applying for 2016/17 entry too!
    Hopefully Psychology since it'd follow on from my degree Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully Psychology since it'd follow on from my degree Yourself?
    Languages But my degree is a bit complicated as I've done BA German and economics (with modules in Dutch as they class as German). Alas, all unis say 50% German, but I'm scared that the dutch will put me at a disadvantage despite being on really good grades for both German and Dutch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    I have got the letter where it is written that "Choose a topic from the National Curriculum and demonstrate that you appreciate the progression from KS3 through to KS5, with reference to your subject knowledge,your understanding of the underlying concepts and how understanding can be developed as student progress".Suppose if I choose "Periodic Table" then how could I do ?Any idea will be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if UCL IOE want you to have completed all the experience days before applying? This is for PGCE Secondary Maths.

On the site it says "Applicants must also demonstrate a passion for mathematics and a commitment to, and enjoyment of, working with children and young people. This may be through voluntary work with young people and a minimum of five days’ recent experience in a non-selective, non-fee paying state secondary school."

It's not exactly clear whether its required to have the five days before sending off the application. I've tried emailing them but I'm getting no response. I have two experience days done now.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jukeboxing)
    Does anyone know if UCL IOE want you to have completed all the experience days before applying? This is for PGCE Secondary Maths.

On the site it says "Applicants must also demonstrate a passion for mathematics and a commitment to, and enjoyment of, working with children and young people. This may be through voluntary work with young people and a minimum of five days’ recent experience in a non-selective, non-fee paying state secondary school."

It's not exactly clear whether its required to have the five days before sending off the application. I've tried emailing them but I'm getting no response. I have two experience days done now.
    You should, but I believe they will allow you to do them as a condition of your offer (they did a couple of years ago, anyway). Just make sure your experience gives you enough to discuss at interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jukeboxing)

I got this response: '
    The main thing is that you can talk about your experience in an informed way.'
    (as ive been working in a german school, not a british state school)

does that help slightly? Their answers always seem quite blaze haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna__)
    I got this response: '
    The main thing is that you can talk about your experience in an informed way.'
    (as ive been working in a german school, not a british state school)

does that help slightly? Their answers always seem quite blaze haha
    They just mean that they want you to be able to speak about the experience you have done in a helpful way, such as identifying discipline techniques and so on. It definitely won't hurt in the interview to say you have more experience planned/arranged.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just had my interview - it was not what i expected! Some of the questions were hard but we'll see

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who heard anything from Oxford, how long did it take?I submitted my Maths application 3 weeks ago and within 2 days, had 2 invites to interviews from York and Loughborough. I got an offer from Loughborough and I have an interview today at York.

I still haven't heard anything from Oxford. I appreciate there is 40 days for them to make their decision but it's taking ridiculously long compared to the others. Can anyone fill me in on how long it took for Oxford to get back to them?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if school experience conditions are negotiable? I was asked to get extra experience as a condition of my offer but at the moment I am going to be 3 days short with little chance of getting any extra in before summer now (I have a full time SKE to do after half term)

ReputationRep:
    For anyone hoping to be or been confirmed on the University of Chester Secondary Maths PGCE - I've set up a Facebook group for this coming year last years group kept deleting my request lol xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsPGCE)
    Anyone who heard anything from Oxford, how long did it take?I submitted my Maths application 3 weeks ago and within 2 days, had 2 invites to interviews from York and Loughborough. I got an offer from Loughborough and I have an interview today at York.

I still haven't heard anything from Oxford. I appreciate there is 40 days for them to make their decision but it's taking ridiculously long compared to the others. Can anyone fill me in on how long it took for Oxford to get back to them?

Thanks.
    Took me 2 days (Science).

ReputationRep:
    After recieving a conditional place, is anyone else required to do a weeks worth of work experience in a primary school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manjjj)
    After recieving a conditional place, is anyone else required to do a weeks worth of work experience in a primary school?
    I assume your place is for secondary. Every secondary PGCE requires this, it's so we understand the move from year 6 to year 7.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.