Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Law Offers for 2016? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellawhite4686)
    collingwood are you visiting next week?
    Ooh, a friend of mine got allocated there as well! And no, unfortunately all the accommodation places have been taken up (I live around 5 hours away from Durham) and I've got mocks next week! Are you going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yvchan)
    Ooh, a friend of mine got allocated there as well! And no, unfortunately all the accommodation places have been taken up (I live around 5 hours away from Durham) and I've got mocks next week! Are you going?
    ah thats annoying! yes I'm really looking forward to it do you want to be added to the Facebook group chat for law applicants at durham?

ReputationRep:
    ah thats annoying! yes I'm really looking forward to it do you want to be added to the Facebook group chat for law applicants at durham?
    Have fun! There's a Facebook group? Yes please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yvchan)
    Have fun! There's a Facebook group? Yes please!
    sure! message me/ comment here a link to your facebook profile and i will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratagems)
    Congratulations! Did you receive the same offer for both (grades wise)?

Does anyone know if Durham's admission will give specific individual feedback rather than just a link to the web page with all possibility of reasons?
    A*AA durham AAA bristol, were you rejected by durham ?

ReputationRep:
    collingwood are you visiting next week?
    My boyfriend is currently at Collingwood and I have stayed there myself - it is an absolutely awesome college! It really reminds me of an American High School, and I think it has one of the best 'party' atmospheres.

The last time I went to stay a rich alumnus came to give a talk - afterwards he went to the college bar and put UP TO TEN THOUSAND POUNDS behind the bar which meant we all got free drinks all night. I'd tell you how amazing the night was but I remember absolutely none of it

Hope you love Durham x

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in y11 at a good grammar school, and was hoping that someone would be able to assess the chances of me getting into Oxbridge.

Predicted GCSEs: 6 a*s, 6 a's, 2 bs
    A-Levels: Maths, History, Economics, Politics
    Course: Law or Law with American Law
    Other: will do EPQ, 5+ weeks of law related work experience, manage local football team, 4 school sports teams, 2 other sports teams, bronze (will have gold) DofE, will attend Cambridge law conference, probably more which I've forgotten

Thanks for any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquaxo)
    My boyfriend is currently at Collingwood and I have stayed there myself - it is an absolutely awesome college! It really reminds me of an American High School, and I think it has one of the best 'party' atmospheres.

The last time I went to stay a rich alumnus came to give a talk - afterwards he went to the college bar and put UP TO TEN THOUSAND POUNDS behind the bar which meant we all got free drinks all night. I'd tell you how amazing the night was but I remember absolutely none of it

Hope you love Durham x
    wow thank you!! sounds amazing, can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    While I've signed in to turn off notifications following rejections, I wanted to know whether unis such as LSE and others checks applicant's social profiles such as Facebook and Twitter etc when making any decisions when all other things e.g. academics etc are equal....and its a tight call for the selectors on a particular day as heard rumours going around amongst the students in the neighbourhood that students at some public school and independent colleges are being advised to restrict their social media profile or set their public profile at neutral level. Any comments....#LSE #UCL #KCL #Oxford #Cambridge #QMUL #Durham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabruttledge)
    I've emailed Nottingham requesting a time period in which they'll reach a decision.
    Fed up of the wait and just want it over with!
    As am I!! Let us know their reply please !

ReputationRep:
    While I've signed in to turn off notifications following rejections, I wanted to know whether unis such as LSE and others checks applicant's social profiles such as Facebook and Twitter etc when making any decisions when all other things e.g. academics etc are equal....and its a tight call for the selectors on a particular day as heard rumours going around amongst the students in the neighbourhood that students at some public school and independent colleges are being advised to restrict their social media profile or set their public profile at neutral level. Any comments....#LSE #UCL #KCL #Oxford #Cambridge #QMUL #Durham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKStudent2016)
    I've just googled it and they can and have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cholesta)
    I've just googled it and they can and have done.
    Thanks. It's not surprising given current times we live in and fierce competition that would only get more tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justmemphis)
    I'm currently in y11 at a good grammar school, and was hoping that someone would be able to assess the chances of me getting into Oxbridge.

Other: will do EPQ, 5+ weeks of law related work experience, manage local football team, 4 school sports teams, 2 other sports teams, bronze (will have gold) DofE, will attend Cambridge law conference, probably more which I've forgotten

Thanks for any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I applied to Cambridge law this year and ended up being pooled and rejected, had 5A*4A at GCSE and AAAA at AS with predictions of A*A*A at A2.

The biggest tip I could give someone which I wish I would have known before was to read like crazy. Going into the interview without having an extensive academic reading history was a major disadvantage. I found that the interviewers expect not only that you are an academic person in terms of grades, but also that you are academic in terms of a huge amount of extra reading. For example I was asked to discuss my favourite novel, something I really struggled to answer. So if I was you I would start reading the 'classic' type of book, build up a lot of general knowledge about literature, politics and philosohy, write a highly academic personal statement and you should do a lot better!
    Hope this kinda helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justmemphis)

Thanks for any help.
    The 6A*s/6As/2Bs may put you at a disadvantage at Oxford, which is known to both put a lot of emphasis on GCSE grades and look at the proportion of A*s to the rest of your grades. In many ways, it's better to get 9 or 10 A*s only instead of overstretching yourself and losing out on A*s in other subjects. That will put you at a disadvantage, both in terms of the ratio A*:As, but also because you inevitably will be facing competition with people may indeed have a "clean sweep" of top grades.

The only other thing that I would advise is that you should do your EPQ in something law-related (there are so many different facets of the law you could work on that you really are spoiled for choice ), and only mention the DofE and football stuff in your personal statement if you can find a way to tie it into the law or into soft skills that are required for it (in terms of resilience, teamwork, interpersonal skills, and so on). I think that remembering Cambridge's mantra that they look for 'super-curriculars', rather than extra-curriculars, if particularly important.

Edit: an interesting search result

As Oxbridge don't do Law with American Law, you need to be very careful to balance your PS in terms of mentioning both UK and US law if you're applying for both Law and Law w/ American law courses through UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabruttledge)
    I've emailed Nottingham requesting a time period in which they'll reach a decision.
    Fed up of the wait and just want it over with!
    no hopes left but still PLEASE let us know of their reply!!!!

ReputationRep:
    A*AA durham AAA bristol, were you rejected by durham ?
    Ah, interesting - Bristol seem to be giving lower offers than stated on their site (I believe), which is good for us!

Yup - Durham was actually my first choice, not Cambridge. Not sure if it's the UMS or APS that let me down with either.

ReputationRep:
    As above - it makes no sense to have a Firm and Insurance that are effectively identical offers.

Do not assume any leniency on Results Day for RG Unis for Law. They wont be charitable to near-misses as they dont need to be. They will have people queuing up via Adjustment/Clearing with the grades they want (and often higher) - so they wont need to be accept 'I didnt get the grades' to fill the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    As above - it makes no sense to have a Firm and Insurance that are effectively identical offers.

Do not assume any leniency on Results Day for RG Unis for Law. They wont be charitable to near-misses as they dont need to be. They will have people queuing up via Adjustment/Clearing with the grades they want (and often higher) - so they wont need to be accept 'I didnt get the grades' to fill the course.
    Glassgow say that they do consider applicants who miss their offer. Op only has Kings as the other choice and they definitely wouldn't. Durham have actually accepted people who marginally miss as long as they have firmed them.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else still waiting to hear from Bristol?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.