Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a good 'checklist' for the abstract reasoning section? Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Guys my ukcat was on 15th September but I'm considering moving it back another week to the 22nd? Is this a good idea or not it's just I have work, and college starting on the 12th so 😭😭 I'm getting stressed about getting all the mocks done and stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Docjones1)
    VR 790
    QR 890
    AR 680
    Band 1

Are you using medify? Their questions are very hard but that means you'll be more prepared when it comes to it.

Generally it doesn't require higher level knowledge, so if you're doing a question with anything more difficult that percentage changes you're probably doing something wrong. Also, just as with the rest of the UKCAT, spend a decent amount of time on each question and if you're stumped or working through it slowly - move on to the next!
    Can I ask how you got your verbal so good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsbar3007)
    Hi! I've been considering getting medic portal - how good is it? I already have medify so is medic portal a lot like that? Thanks !
    Medic portal is missing a lot of the features medify has to make user experience better eg. Doesn't show what percentage of people got something right, in mocks doesn't say what question you are on etc so it's a lot more clunky and basic BUT if you are just looking for 2000 more questions as you have used up medify basically it's good as it's just more practice! And it's a bit harder than medify I think especially some QR and verbal, but it's good practice, not as hard as 1000Q though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    Guys my ukcat was on 15th September but I'm considering moving it back another week to the 22nd? Is this a good idea or not it's just I have work, and college starting on the 12th so 😭😭 I'm getting stressed about getting all the mocks done and stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't do it! Trust me you will get SO bored of revision (mine is on the 5th, been revising since mid July and I am so done) and you just will not have the motivation, just get it over with! Actually cannot wait until the 5th now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Don't do it! Trust me you will get SO bored of revision (mine is on the 5th, been revising since mid July and I am so done) and you just will not have the motivation, just get it over with! Actually cannot wait until the 5th now
    since mid july how many hours a day are you doing? ive only been revising for a week which will make 3 weeks in total but i feel like its not enough and i have a better chance at doing well if i make it 4 weeks idk tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Which mock exams did you do before the exam? Medify/UKCAT website ones?
    Hey, so I signed up to Kaplan and did all of their practice tests. I then did the official UKCAT practice tests (the QR on here was a lot harder than in the actual test)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nihil_nimis)
    Well done, if possible, could you give any tips for scoring a band 1 on the SJT and did you just use medify or other resources too ?

Thank you.
    Hey, so today was actually the first time I got band 1. I was consistently getting band 2. My main tip would be to read Good Medical Practice on the GMC website, this gives a breakdown of what is expected of doctors. Another tip is to quickly choose a side whilst answering questions (i.e. appropriate or inappropriate) because partial marks are given if you chose e.g. B instead of A or C instead of D. If patient safety is being compromised or the public confidence in the medical profession is being undermined it is almost certainly D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    QR was my worst section in mocks, never got above 650 and was usually 550-630 - got 740 in the real thing and some people seem to have had even bigger jumps I genuinely think the mark scale they're using is a lot more generous, plus the questions seem to be slightly easier.
    Also: if you don't have a number pad on your keyboard now or aren't using it, use it in the exam (you can practice in some of your DM time), it speeds you up so much!!
    I second that!! Went from 630 in mocks to 890 today!

ReputationRep:
    I've re-booked it for 22nd September. I just get so stressed incase I get a bad score and have to tell everyone I'm not applying this year which I know sounds silly but it would be so disheartening to not even be able to attempt to apply I'm not doing the BMAT so I don't have that to fall back on either

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys i need serious help with QR can someone give me a list of topics to revise becasue on medify it's needing me to use pi (as 3.14) but i don't even remember how to find the area or circumference of a circle!! i can't even imagine what else could come up! my exam is on the 5th of september

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsFissy)
    Guys i need serious help with QR can someone give me a list of topics to revise becasue on medify it's needing me to use pi (as 3.14) but i don't even remember how to find the area or circumference of a circle!! i can't even imagine what else could come up! my exam is on the 5th of september
    This page in my Kaplan book covers pretty much all the formulae you need to know for the exam. The triangle is referring to the distance/speed/time formula (which come up a lot). Also make sure you're quick with your conversions. Hope this helps

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1472773241.654506.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  127.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NuclearFallout)
    Can I ask how you got your verbal so good?
    Use medify if you aren't already. All my preparation took a few hours a day for a week, but I am a reapplicant so it may need longer for you (if possible).

Other than that I would say look at the question first and scan for key words in the text, don't spend too long on each question. Move on if you're struggling

You can skip a few text pieces altogether if the text is really long and bulky. When you're done done have educated guess at the remaining ones (just don't leave any blank).

ReputationRep:
    Use medify if you aren't already. All my preparation took a few hours a day for a week, but I am a reapplicant so it may need longer for you (if possible).

Other than that I would say look at the question first and scan for key words in the text, don't spend too long on each question. Move on if you're struggling

You can skip a few text pieces altogether if the text is really long and bulky. When you're done done have educated guess at the remaining ones (just don't leave any blank).
    What'd you get first time round? If you don't mind me asking that is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What'd you get first time round? If you don't mind me asking that is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    695 avg
    and in the region of (can't remember exactly)
    800 QR
    710 DA
    650 VR
    610 AR
    Band 2

ReputationRep:
    695 avg
    and in the region of (can't remember exactly)
    800 QR
    710 DA
    650 VR
    610 AR
    Band 2
    Wow so you almost improved by an average of 100? Nice. What did you do differently this year compared to last year when preparing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    since mid july how many hours a day are you doing? ive only been revising for a week which will make 3 weeks in total but i feel like its not enough and i have a better chance at doing well if i make it 4 weeks idk tho
    Only one, started to make it two the last two weeks. Idk maybe see how you feel a few days before as you still have s while! Mine was originally August 16th and I pushed it back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nitashaaxx)
    Hey everyone, averaged 640 with Band 2 in SJT on UKCAT today
    VR: 650
    Q: 680
    AR: 590 (well excuse you)

Any help on where to apply with this low score? KCL and QM deff outta the window D:

Also does anyone know where places like Manchester, Barts, Bristol and Birmingham stand on UKCAT heaviness (i.e cut-offs for interview places)

Any help is much appreciated
    Hey, I got the same average and SJT last year and I made a lot of mistakes while picking unis so be extremely careful.

Apply to Keele if you have a lot of WE and volunteering/extra-curricular activities.
    Apply to Lancaster if you don't mind giving the BMAT.
    Apply to Cardiff and Exeter if you've got good GCSEs and WE.
    Bristol would be a good choice as they don't consider UKCAT score (as far as I know). Apply if you've got good GCSEs and at least 2 weeks WE.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I did my UKCAT and averaged 710 with 640 VR, 690 AR and 810 QR. I got SJT band 3 (not sure how, been getting 1 consistently in mocks and only dropped to band 2 in one mock) and I'm slightly concerned this will hold me back? Does anyone know if this is a problem?

And could anyone give me advice on what universities my score is not likely to be accepted by? I've tried to do research and I'm really struggling so help would be appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    This page in my Kaplan book covers pretty much all the formulae you need to know for the exam. The triangle is referring to the distance/speed/time formula (which come up a lot). Also make sure you're quick with your conversions. Hope this helps

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1472773241.654506.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  127.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks so much. You're a lifesaver!!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.