Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Tennis Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    If Tsonga plays like he did the last weeks knowing his talents on grass I would tip him to reach the semis at least. Still I'll say a Murray-Fed final, with hopefully Fed picking up the final slam of his career.
    I don't see Federer making the final again this year but maybe he's got one last Wimbledon in him. I'm very interested to see what players like Kyrgios and Kokkinakis will do, the grass may accommodate more giant killings this year too. Definitely looking forward to the draw with all the new rankings, the early rounds will be very interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    I don't see Federer making the final again this year but maybe he's got one last Wimbledon in him. I'm very interested to see what players like Kyrgios and Kokkinakis will do, the grass may accommodate more giant killings this year too. Definitely looking forward to the draw with all the new rankings, the early rounds will be very interesting
    Federer has never lost a SF at Wimbledon so if he makes it to that stage, he will most likely reach the final. So in order for him to not make the final, I think he has to lose before the SF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    Federer has never lost a SF at Wimbledon so if he makes it to that stage, he will most likely reach the final. So in order for him to not make the final, I think he has to lose before the SF.
    With each passing year it gets harder and harder so a lot would have to go his way to make the final let alone win it. He'll need a favourable draw but if he comes up against Djokovic or Murray I don't see him hanging with them over 5 sets

ReputationRep:
    With each passing year it gets harder and harder so a lot would have to go his way to make the final let alone win it. He'll need a favourable draw but if he comes up against Djokovic or Murray I don't see him hanging with them over 5 sets
    He will beat Murray but will struggle against Djokovic.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno Murray seems to be back to his best, whereas Federer has dipped a bit so I'd favour Murray if they met at Wimbledon. I think Federer's best bet would be for Murray and Djokovic to be in the same half of the draw so that they can have a long drawn out battle in the semis and if he's waiting in the final beat whoever comes through their latest slugfest. As I said I think a lot needs to fall in place for Federer to win. It'll be easier to call once the draws are out. Very exited for this Wimbledon as always, very open.

ReputationRep:
    Federer needs his serve and a decent forehand to just show up for 2 weeks and he'll be in business

That said, Djokovic and Murray go in as tournament favourites

ReputationRep:
    Federer, Djokovic and Nadal are still a class above Murray. Even Federer at almost 34 years of age can comfortably beat Murray on grass. Sure, Murray has beaten them at Grand Slams in the past, but Murray is usually very little threat to them.

When Murray has beaten them in the past, it's not Murray who has played well, it's they who have played below their usual standard. If they are on form, Murray has no chance.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno Murray seems to be back to his best, whereas Federer has dipped a bit so I'd favour Murray if they met at Wimbledon. I think Federer's best bet would be for Murray and Djokovic to be in the same half of the draw so that they can have a long drawn out battle in the semis and if he's waiting in the final beat whoever comes through their latest slugfest. As I said I think a lot needs to fall in place for Federer to win. It'll be easier to call once the draws are out. Very exited for this Wimbledon as always, very open.
    I do agree that Federer needs a favourable draw in order to win. But I do also think that many people are overreacting to Federer's so called decline this season. I think he is playing at a same level as last year. He has had pretty similar results to last year in the first half of the season. The only difference this year was an early exit at the Australian Open but other than that he has had similar results. And besides he is normally better in the second half of the season and like last season, I expect another good second half of the season.

Murray is playing better but his serve still doesn't impress me. He has to improve that shot in order to beat Novak and Roger I feel.

(Original post by Krish4791)
    Federer needs his serve and a decent forehand to just show up for 2 weeks and he'll be in business

That said, Djokovic and Murray go in as tournament favourites
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    Federer, Djokovic and Nadal are still a class above Murray. Even Federer at almost 34 years of age can comfortably beat Murray on grass. Sure, Murray has beaten them at Grand Slams in the past, but Murray is usually very little threat to them.

When Murray has beaten them in the past, it's not Murray who has played well, it's they who have played below their usual standard. If they are on form, Murray has no chance.
    This is rubbish. I agree with you that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are a class above; but Murray has the game that at his best can topple them, as he's shown with his two grand slam wins. He certainly doesn't have their mental fortitude on the court and when he plays his passive game he's not a threat at all, but it's not true that Federer can comfortably beat an on form Murray on grass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LookIts_Liam)
    This is rubbish. I agree with you that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are a class above; but Murray has the game that at his best can topple them, as he's shown with his two grand slam wins. He certainly doesn't have their mental fortitude on the court and when he plays his passive game he's not a threat at all, but it's not true that Federer can comfortably beat an on form Murray on grass.
    errr..wimbledon 2012?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatMadClown)
    errr..wimbledon 2012?
    That was 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatMadClown)
    errr..wimbledon 2012?

Sorry - I should have clarified. Of course Federer is good enough to beat Murray but the poster I was replying to was suggesting that Murray could never win big matches unless the likes of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have an off day; but I think Murray should be credited as a better player than someone who just capitalises on his opponents poor form, because he has shown that he can play fantastic tennis - it's not as if Murray gets walked over by the other three every time they're on form.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry - I should have clarified. Of course Federer is good enough to beat Murray but the poster I was replying to was suggesting that Murray could never win big matches unless the likes of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have an off day; but I think Murray should be credited as a better player than someone who just capitalises on his opponents poor form, because he has shown that he can play fantastic tennis - it's not as if Murray gets walked over by the other three every time they're on form.
    Well said. An in-form Murray is very tough to beat - I don't think Nadal can do it on grass anymore, but he may prove us wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Rafa will win Wimbledon. You heard it here first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash50)
    £10 bet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash50)
    Lol. Rafa's slam winning days are over most likely.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever Murray has beaten one of these three guys, they have performed worse than they usually do. It's a fact. Djokovic performed below par in the 2012 US Open final and the 2013 Wimbledon final. Their B game is enough to beat Murray's A game. They need to be playing their C game for large parts of the match for Murray to stand a chance of beating them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    Whenever Murray has beaten one of these three guys, they have performed worse than they usually do. It's a fact. Djokovic performed below par in the 2012 US Open final and the 2013 Wimbledon final. Their B game is enough to beat Murray's A game. They need to be playing their C game for large parts of the match for Murray to stand a chance of beating them.
    Lol ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget Stan Wawrinka , but he won AO 2014 and the French a few days ago

ReputationRep:
    Wawrinka is an outside contender going by the odds, but grass is his least favourite surface by far. The balls don't bounce up as high as they do on clay/hard and he has less time to set himself up for topspin shots, so he can't bludgeon the ball as effectively.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.