Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We could put two defenders either side of the goal-post every corner.

Good to see Rafa too. Our deference used to be a wall back then. I like calling Allen, the Welsh Pirlo tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    Can't give much criticism, but basically: Milner isn't cut out to start for us, Moreno still has no end product, and we don't track midfield runners at all.

We were ****ing good, the best 90 minutes we've played all season (and since the Spurs away 5-0?).
    I was surprised with how big the pitch looked with the game/player stretched everywhere.

(Original post by samir12)
    If we give Mignolet that 5 year extension, then I don't know how I'm going to bear watching Liverpool for the next 5 years...
    I really dont understand why we're not waiting till the summer to decide if to offer an extension or to offload.

ReputationRep:

I found this so funny omg.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Right, that was as grey a fixture as I've ever seen. There were positives - plenty - but I still have nagging doubts, and criticisms of the Liverpool players.

Mignolet, once again, was a farce. He constantly seems to analyse things, and constantly looks like he's deliberating decisions in his head. That's worrying, because he's a goalkeeper. The best goalkeepers thrive on instinct - and all the best Liverpool goalkeepers always have. He is not a long-term option, and while I admire Klopp for backing him in a bid not to alienate him and demoralise him further, something needs to be done.

Aside from being at fault for two of the goals, I actually thought our defence coped well. Kolo Toure, arguably, was a shining light in the heart of the defence - and while Sakho didn't exactly shine - I was pleased with the way we dealt with Arsenal.

That said, it's a damning indictment that this Arsenal side are top of the league. Sure, they are efficient, but they couldn't see the game out in the dying minutes of a key fixture against us. That just shows how no side in the PL is currently ready to grab this decision by the scruff of the neck and really take ownership of it.

That brace for Firmino will do him a power of good. I thought he was excellent, and so was Henderson, who seems to be becoming more and more adventurous every minute he plays on the pitch. He is trusting himself with long, searching, raking balls - and that will show benefits eventually, I'm sure.

Firmino's second was just exquisite. Remarkable.

Moreno has very poor product in the final third, especially compared with somebody like Brad Smith, who is a breath of fresh air with a wand of a left foot. It's nights like this where I remember Fabio Aurelio, and wish he wasn't a walking crock.

I can't tell you the amount of fume that was emanating from me when Joe Allen entered the field, either. I was livid - because the lad doesn't score goals. He won't ever get a winner for you, or an equaliser. But he did. Lo and behold, and embrace the Welsh Xavi. Fair play, Allen. He has deserved that for his efforts and performances in recent weeks. Can was probably knackered too, because he seemed to fade after bossing portions of the first period.

As for Benteke... well, the future's bleak. Chelsea and Manchester City away – and he hasn't started. Arsenal at home - and he hasn't started.

Let's be fair, a draw was a fair result. Onto Man United.

ReputationRep:
    Words. I have none.

Name:  1452762102263.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  55.4 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mignolet - why are we giving him a 5 year contract? He's had 3 years to prove himself and he hasn't yet.
    Clyne - you would want to see more from an attacking sense
    Moreno - amazing going forward in terms of runs and making available. Terrible with the crosses and a liability at defender
    Toure - was relatively solid but obviously age is catching up
    Sakho - thought it was really bad with his passing last night. Did okay but Giroud had a great game too
    Henderson - thought he was the best player on the pitch over 90 minutes
    Can - started great and then faded. Needs to learn not to lose the ball in dangerous areas which exposes us
    Milner - solid but not spectacular
    Lallana - thought it was one of his best games. Saw a lot of energy and running and was involved a lot
    Ibe - at least he tried to attack his fullback regularly but didn't have the best night
    Firmino - finally showing why we paid so much money for him. Shame he didn't get his hattrick. Hoping it helps him kick on

I'm not sure if we should start the same side against Man Utd? One hand we should press them high and with intensity. On the other hand, Man Utd will probably come and park the bus rather than give us space like Arsenal did.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I thought Lallana and Ibe were both pretty disappointing, though admittedly the latter wasn't helped by Benteke when he arrived. He was too lethargic and too slow, hovering back and not occupying the spaces between the goalposts, which is what you want from a striker. That's what makes Giroud a constant hassle and something to consistently worry about over 90 minutes.

Can and Henderson were obviously the biggest positives, upon reflection. They play off each other so well, and we should be looking to deploy the pair of them together as much as possible before the end of the season.

I imagine we'll play Benteke against United, given the fact they'll sit deeper and it'll be a more direct game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    I thought Lallana and Ibe were both pretty disappointing, though admittedly the latter wasn't helped by Benteke when he arrived. He was too lethargic and too slow, hovering back and not occupying the spaces between the goalposts, which is what you want from a striker. That's what makes Giroud a constant hassle and something to consistently worry about over 90 minutes.

Can and Henderson were obviously the biggest positives, upon reflection. They play off each other so well, and we should be looking to deploy the pair of them together as much as possible before the end of the season.

I imagine we'll play Benteke against United, given the fact they'll sit deeper and it'll be a more direct game.
    It was a bizzare game since it was a bit all over the place and so open. One minute you get some slick, fantastic one/two touch passing and then a bunch of wayward passes. Lallana should've done better for their goal from the corner.

I think our team just looks so much better with Henderson in the side. Wonder how long before he starts getting rated by non-Liverpool fans.

If I were LVG, I'd play Fellani as striker against us at the weekend..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    It was a bizzare game since it was a bit all over the place and so open. One minute you get some slick, fantastic one/two touch passing and then a bunch of wayward passes. Lallana should've done better for their goal from the corner.

I think our team just looks so much better with Henderson in the side. Wonder how long before he starts getting rated by non-Liverpool fans.

If I were LVG, I'd play Fellani as striker against us at the weekend..
    Fellaini will start for sure. I'd be gobsmacked if he didn't.

Henderson was excellent last night. I thought he was really, really effective - and seems to be playing with such bravery and confidence, which can't be easy given his past and his recent injury record.

ReputationRep:
    Fellaini will start for sure. I'd be gobsmacked if he didn't.

Henderson was excellent last night. I thought he was really, really effective - and seems to be playing with such bravery and confidence, which can't be easy given his past and his recent injury record.
    Maybe Sakho will have better luck than he did against Giroud..

Wonder if the Matip rumours are true.

ReputationRep:
    Doubt United are bus parking. They're probably going to just stay compact defensively, keep it narrow due to your lack of natural width when Ibe is not in the side and then keep possession.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jam277)
    Doubt United are bus parking. They're probably going to just stay compact defensively, keep it narrow due to your lack of natural width when Ibe is not in the side and then keep possession.
    Me saying they'll play direct wasn't meant to mean bus parking. They'll keep deep, though. That makes me think Klopp will use Benteke rather than Firmino as a false nine.

ReputationRep:
    Fellaini is deffo starting against us, we are terrible against big lamp posts. Maybe Klopp will start Caulker to help deal with the aerial balls to Fellaini, we are in big trouble if he is allowed to hold the ball up and bring Martial, Rooney, etc into play.

ReputationRep:
    Ibe is a one trick pony. The only thing he knows how to do is run straight at the full back and then nick it away when they try to put their foot in. It might have worked at youth level when the opposition didn't have endless tv footage to study you, but at PL level it's all too predictable, any half decent full back knows to stand off until he is close then step up at the moment he takes a touch and take the ball before him.

Until he learns to diversify his dribbling, he'll never make much of an impact for us. If he mixes it up and becomes less predictable, then their full back would have to adjust their play and be wary of all options, and then his preferred technique of running straight at them may start to work again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Should bear in mind that that's two late equalisers in two recent matches at Anfield - both WBA, and last night.

In the latter stages of the BR era, that wasn't possible. The atmosphere seemed to be a lot stronger and more intense last night, almost as if the fans are buying into the fact that we can claw our way back into a game if we're trailing. Compare that to the total apathy when we found ourselves a goal down late on to Palace.

I wish we were bagging late winners than equalisers, though.

ReputationRep:
    I wish we were bagging late winners than equalisers, though.
    We'll get there.

I said pretty early on that Klopp can instill belief and fire into our attacking players, and that's shown sporadically because they can only show that when the midfield and defence give them the platform to do it. As much as he can return the likes of Lallana and Firmino to their actual level, he can't make the likes of Skrtel and Toure into proper defenders, fix Lucas or Milner's problems, turn Mignolet or Bogdan into adequate keepers, or fix our set piece drama within months.

Arsenal could have beaten us, and we could have beaten them, but objectively, the only 'cheap' goal of the night came from us conceding a bloody near post corner. If Lallana does his ****ing job there, we're sitting comfy at 2-1 having played them off the park for 30 minutes. We obviously have no idea if Arsenal would have got back into the game from there or not, but that kind of problem will be ironed out in time, and 3-3s will turn into 3-1s.

ReputationRep:
    In 2014 Liverpool spent a Luis Suárez-sized £75m on Mario Balotelli, Divock Origi, Dejan Lovren, Lazar Markovic and Emre Can. Which is certainly a very expensive way of buying Emre Can.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ited-liverpool

Shots! *ouch*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    Arsenal could have beaten us, and we could have beaten them, but objectively, the only 'cheap' goal of the night came from us conceding a bloody near post corner. If Lallana does his ****ing job there, we're sitting comfy at 2-1 having played them off the park for 30 minutes. We obviously have no idea if Arsenal would have got back into the game from there or not, but that kind of problem will be ironed out in time, and 3-3s will turn into 3-1s.
    Yeah, I agree.

I thought it was pretty knee-jerk for fans to say we could have stopped all of Arsenal's goals. Of course we could have, but Ramsey's run for the first is so well timed and the finish is exquisite. If it's Henderson laying off Benteke to score that, we're lauding the pair of them, not poking fun at Koscielny/Cech.

In truth, I thought Mignolet could have got down quicker for the first - and Toure was a bit slow, but that's expected. We haven't got the Kolo of his prime at Arsenal, have we? His legs are gone.

Arsenal can feel pretty aggrieved with the way they conceded the first, I think. Cech made the mistake of not pushing the ball out of the danger zone, and he wasn't set for Firmino's effort after he parried Can's initial attempt.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I agree.

I thought it was pretty knee-jerk for fans to say we could have stopped all of Arsenal's goals. Of course we could have, but Ramsey's run for the first is so well timed and the finish is exquisite. If it's Henderson laying off Benteke to score that, we're lauding the pair of them, not poking fun at Koscielny/Cech.

In truth, I thought Mignolet could have got down quicker for the first - and Toure was a bit slow, but that's expected. We haven't got the Kolo of his prime at Arsenal, have we? His legs are gone.

Arsenal can feel pretty aggrieved with the way they conceded the first, I think. Cech made the mistake of not pushing the ball out of the danger zone, and he wasn't set for Firmino's effort after he parried Can's initial attempt.
    Bit like saying every goal can be prevented

I think Arsenal scoring from a corner is the only one that really annoyed me.

Sunday lunch time can't arrive soon enough..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Bit like saying every goal can be prevented

I think Arsenal scoring from a corner is the only one that really annoyed me.

Sunday lunch time can't arrive soon enough..
    Every goal can be prevented, though, when you think about it. You can't legislate for some of them, admittedly, but there's always a way to stop even the finest of goals. We can't become too concentrated on that, that's all.

I get very nervous before United games, to be honest. It's the only fixture which does it to me.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.