Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Law Offers for 2016? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justmemphis)
    I'm currently in y11 at a good grammar school, and was hoping that someone would be able to assess the chances of me getting into Oxbridge.

Predicted GCSEs: 6 a*s, 6 a's, 2 bs
    A-Levels: Maths, History, Economics, Politics
    Course: Law or Law with American Law
    Other: will do EPQ, 5+ weeks of law related work experience, manage local football team, 4 school sports teams, 2 other sports teams, bronze (will have gold) DofE, will attend Cambridge law conference, probably more which I've forgotten

Thanks for any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, I achieved similar GCSE results to you and will probably apply to Cambridge.
    I was also worried whether my GCSEs were good enough. Check out the thread I made,the replies could help you

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3956325

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sajabajax)
    I applied to Cambridge law this year and ended up being pooled and rejected, had 5A*4A at GCSE and AAAA at AS with predictions of A*A*A at A2.

The biggest tip I could give someone which I wish I would have known before was to read like crazy. Going into the interview without having an extensive academic reading history was a major disadvantage. I found that the interviewers expect not only that you are an academic person in terms of grades, but also that you are academic in terms of a huge amount of extra reading. For example I was asked to discuss my favourite novel, something I really struggled to answer. So if I was you I would start reading the 'classic' type of book, build up a lot of general knowledge about literature, politics and philosohy, write a highly academic personal statement and you should do a lot better!
    Hope this kinda helps
    Hey!
    Can I ask what other sort of question they asked? Did any require legal knowledge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratagems)
    I wouldn't suggest that you put as your insurance any university with the same offer as your firm choice. You risk missing both offers if you miss your firm! They *may* have some leeway if you miss or they may not. It's not guaranteed, so work on a worst case scenario basis. If they're all the same, then I guess you have your answer.

The other things worth are the modules for King's course (I haven't checked it out, but whether it's a qualifying degree etc, though I imagine they want A*AA anyway...) and that Glasgow presumably won't be teaching English law.
    PPL is a qualifying Law degree.
    Glasgow doesn't teach English Law, but since I probably won't practice it anyway it is not my biggest concern...

ReputationRep:
    "For the 2015 cycle we had just over 1500 applicants and we had 215 enrol on the LLB last October.This year's application figures are already over a 2000 total." - Durham Law Undergraduate Admissions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cholesta)
    Glassgow say that they do consider applicants who miss their offer. Op only has Kings as the other choice and they definitely wouldn't. Durham have actually accepted people who marginally miss as long as they have firmed them.
    I don't think I have anything to lose then in putting Glasgow as my insurance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GigiRaffaeli)
    I don't think I have anything to lose then in putting Glasgow as my insurance...
    Yes definitely! There is no way that you would firm Durham and insure Kings. Just make sure you work hard and get those much needed grades. I've said the same to my son. Having said that it is more difficult to get an A* in English as it is so subjective. Keep working🙏🏻🙏🏻🍀🍀

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer from Warwick earlier today.

Now I have all my offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    Got an offer from Warwick earlier today.

Now I have all my offers
    Cool! What are you putting for your firm and insurance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sajabajax)
    I applied to Cambridge law this year and ended up being pooled and rejected, had 5A*4A at GCSE and AAAA at AS with predictions of A*A*A at A2.

The biggest tip I could give someone which I wish I would have known before was to read like crazy. Going into the interview without having an extensive academic reading history was a major disadvantage. I found that the interviewers expect not only that you are an academic person in terms of grades, but also that you are academic in terms of a huge amount of extra reading. For example I was asked to discuss my favourite novel, something I really struggled to answer. So if I was you I would start reading the 'classic' type of book, build up a lot of general knowledge about literature, politics and philosohy, write a highly academic personal statement and you should do a lot better!
    Hope this kinda helps
    thanks for answering! now that I think about it, I don't do enough reading, perhaps I should do so more, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al9121010)
    Cool! What are you putting for your firm and insurance?
    Probably going to be Durham as firm, Leicester/Warwick as insurance - I haven't decided yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    The 6A*s/6As/2Bs may put you at a disadvantage at Oxford, which is known to both put a lot of emphasis on GCSE grades and look at the proportion of A*s to the rest of your grades. In many ways, it's better to get 9 or 10 A*s only instead of overstretching yourself and losing out on A*s in other subjects. That will put you at a disadvantage, both in terms of the ratio A*:As, but also because you inevitably will be facing competition with people may indeed have a "clean sweep" of top grades.

The only other thing that I would advise is that you should do your EPQ in something law-related (there are so many different facets of the law you could work on that you really are spoiled for choice ), and only mention the DofE and football stuff in your personal statement if you can find a way to tie it into the law or into soft skills that are required for it (in terms of resilience, teamwork, interpersonal skills, and so on). I think that remembering Cambridge's mantra that they look for 'super-curriculars', rather than extra-curriculars, if particularly important.

Edit: an interesting search result

As Oxbridge don't do Law with American Law, you need to be very careful to balance your PS in terms of mentioning both UK and US law if you're applying for both Law and Law w/ American law courses through UCAS.
    thanks for answering! I was thinking of doing my epq on the twelve tables or the laws protecting criminals from harm, would you recommend this or something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thanks for answering! I was thinking of doing my epq on the twelve tables or the laws protecting criminals from harm, would you recommend this or something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did my epq on whether Britain should carry on with the human rights act or start the bill of rights. I found it extremely interesting and my teacher loved it lol
    I also found it to be very relevant to issues today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SebastianCanuck)
    "For the 2015 cycle we had just over 1500 applicants and we had 215 enrol on the LLB last October.This year's application figures are already over a 2000 total." - Durham Law Undergraduate Admissions
    Presumably therefore the number of law applications is up for all universities..are there any admissions tutors reading this that could let us know? Just wondering whether students are shying away from other subjects (such as Medicine), thinking that Law is a more attractive career?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuipdoe)
    I did my epq on whether Britain should carry on with the human rights act or start the bill of rights. I found it extremely interesting and my teacher loved it lol
    I also found it to be very relevant to issues today
    was your epq mentioned in your interview? if so what did they say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    was your epq mentioned in your interview? if so what did they say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The only ones that interview are Oxford Cambridge and York... None of which I applied to
    However I did include it in my personal statement

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Bristol, Warwick, Lancaster and Kent and just accepted an offer from Lancaster for next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llew_Ch97)
    I applied to Bristol, Warwick, Lancaster and Kent and just accepted an offer from Lancaster for next year
    Did you get offers from Bristol and Warwick?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Did you get offers from Bristol and Warwick?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bristol offered me AAB and i withdrew from Warwick cause they were taking too long and they weren't my first or second choice

ReputationRep:
    just got rejected from durham because they considered my lnat to be too low: i got 25

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconwoo)
    just got rejected from durham because they considered my lnat to be too low: i got 25
    Holy **** r u joking. I'm so sorry man that's ****ing rough

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.