Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, new to this site but I felt I ought to offer any help I can as I've just come out the other end of the stress tunnel which is the ukcat!
    • VR - definitely the section I find toughest, questions themselves are quite straightforward but a few of the comprehension passages are quite long so skim reading is key.
    • QR - As others have said much easier than the mocks. I tended to skip the lengthy questions at first as there are some easier ones towards the end which are easy marks to pick up.
    • AR - Similar level to medify really. This was a section I did the best in and I would strongly recommend using this principle: if you don't see the pattern in the first few seconds of looking at it just skip it and come back to it. Time is key and there will be some easier questions later on which you can just plough straight through then come back to the harder ones.
    • SJT - Was consistently getting band 2 in the mocks but got a band 1 in the real thing so I have a suspicion the marking is a bit more generous in the real thing. Top tip I can give is to make sure you focus on the most important problem and not the smaller problems they also give to throw you off.
    • For those interested, my average score came out at 790 and Band 1. However please don't let any of the high scores being posted on here stress you out. I know from a personal point of view if I came out with a disappointing score I would be less likely to post on here so just remember this website definitely isn't representative.

ReputationRep:
    Is 620 (band 2) good enough to get into any med school (in london preferably)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsFissy)
    Guys i need serious help with QR can someone give me a list of topics to revise becasue on medify it's needing me to use pi (as 3.14) but i don't even remember how to find the area or circumference of a circle!! i can't even imagine what else could come up! my exam is on the 5th of september
    Have a look at GCSE bite size maths (pre 2015 I think it is) i used that and then did QR questions I improved loads

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Wow so you almost improved by an average of 100? Nice. What did you do differently this year compared to last year when preparing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I just had much more focused preparation this time round. I practiced for around the same amount of time but last time I didn't really have much preparation in timed conditions last time - so that might be it.

ReputationRep:
    how do you work out your scores from the mocks on the official website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabby1410)
    how do you work out your scores from the mocks on the official website?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1472812454.513202.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  111.4 KB
    Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone know which universities take SJT into consideration? I scored an average of 730 but got band 3 and im worried this will hinder my chances at a number of universities.

Advice would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I just did UKCAT official Mock A and am now really worried. My UKCAT is on September 5th so I really do not have that much time left. In Mock A I used the Kaplan conversion sheet to find out my scores and I got 800 in VR, 700 in AR and 450 in QR and Band 1 SJ, so an average of 650. 450 IN QR?!?!?!?!?!?!? I only got 10 questions right!!!:eek::ashamed:What are everyones experiences with Mock A who have done the UKCAT? Anyone else feeling the same? I am so worried as need 700 plus as want to apply to edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Dragon_)
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone know which universities take SJT into consideration? I scored an average of 730 but got band 3 and im worried this will hinder my chances at a number of universities.

Advice would be greatly appreciated
    http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/upl...T%20Result.pdf
    Hope this helps and you're pretty much fine for a lot of medical schools I think so don't worry about it too much as your average is amazing well done

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Hi everyone! I just did UKCAT official Mock A and am now really worried. My UKCAT is on September 5th so I really do not have that much time left. In Mock A I used the Kaplan conversion sheet to find out my scores and I got 800 in VR, 700 in AR and 450 in QR and Band 1 SJ, so an average of 650. 450 IN QR?!?!?!?!?!?!? I only got 10 questions right!!!:eek::ashamed:What are everyones experiences with Mock A who have done the UKCAT? Anyone else feeling the same? I am so worried as need 700 plus as want to apply to edinburgh
    Don't worry the QR in mock A is insane. With Kaplan scoring i got 830 in VR, 500 in QR and 670 in AR. Conversely, I've been getting 730-800 in the medify mocks and everyone is saying the QR is easier (or the same as) medify, so don't let the official mock throw you. I haven't done it yet, but apparently the AR in mock b is difficult so watch out for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon_reaper)
    Don't worry the QR in mock A is insane. With Kaplan scoring i got 830 in VR, 500 in QR and 670 in AR. Conversely, I'm been getting 730-800 in the medify mocks and everyone is saying the QR is easier (or the same as) medify, so don't let the official mock throw you. I haven't done it yet, but apparently the AR in mock b is difficult so watch out for that
    Oh we got quite similar scores, that is a relief! Yeah me too with medify, got anywhere from 700-800 when I did them, phew. I wonder how the VR and AR in Mock A compare? As I found VR easier than medify in the Mock but AR a little more difficult. Oooh damn I am doing Mock B tomorrow wish me luck! When is your UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I did my UKCAT today and i'm so disappointed. I got
    530 VR
    590 AR
    830 AR

650 average

Band 3 SJ

Does anyone have any advice for me in terms of applications within London.
    Is it better to focus on the bmat now?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.a191)
    Hi guys,
    I did my UKCAT today and i'm so disappointed. I got
    530 VR
    590 AR
    830 AR

650 average

Band 3 SJ

Does anyone have any advice for me in terms of applications within London.
    Is it better to focus on the bmat now?

Thanks
    If you are set on London, avoid Kings as they are very UKCAT heavy. Other than that, UCL and imperial and BMAT so you should focus on that, if you are doing a fourth A2 apply to Barts as they look at Tariff on UCAS so you could make up for lower UKCAT, I am not sure about St Georges; you should look into them.

ReputationRep:
    What about the Kings 6 year extended?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I did my ukcat yesterday and got
    VR 700
    AR 680
    QR 720
    SJT band 2
    Is this good enough for Bristol Exeter Birmingham and the Scottish Unis? Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    If you are set on London, avoid Kings as they are very UKCAT heavy. Other than that, UCL and imperial and BMAT so you should focus on that, if you are doing a fourth A2 apply to Barts as they look at Tariff on UCAS so you could make up for lower UKCAT, I am not sure about St Georges; you should look into them.
    Kings are not UKCAT heavy at all. They have no strict cut off point and they themselves said they've interviewed someone with a score of 612 before Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1472820399.951499.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  217.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dwightkurtshrute)
    Starting 11.30
    How did it go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Kings are not UKCAT heavy at all. They have no strict cut off point and they themselves said they've interviewed someone with a score of 612 before Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1472820399.951499.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  217.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But if you look at the average competitive scores over the last few years it has been like very high 600s and 735 once

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry one bit about the maths from mock A. I sat the UKCAT last year and achieved similar scores in official mocks like 500 and got 750 in QR for the actual exam. Medify and Kaplan are most representative for QR 100%.
    But WOW 800 in VR?!?!?! HOW?!?!? i can't even get above 550! what technique did you use and how did you prepare?

ReputationRep:
    But if you look at the average competitive scores over the last few years it has been like very high 600s and 735 once
    That's because the overall average that year was pretty high. Pretty sure the average for DA was like 700+ which is unusually high, so their competitive score went up as a result. Also they've said people below that score have been offered interviews before so it's still worth a shot for anyone who's worried IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2017

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.