Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll be celebrating at 1.30pm on Tuesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    I'll be celebrating at 1.30pm on Tuesday.
    Ouch.

I finished Friday as well. Can't believe some people are still in next week. When do you go back in September Shelly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    Ouch.

I finished Friday as well. Can't believe some people are still in next week. When do you go back in September Shelly?
    1st September. Think the first day is a training day though.

ReputationRep:
    About a month until I start. Really want to just make a start on it now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YGB Jammy)
    About a month until I start. Really want to just make a start on it now!
    Enjoy your time off, you'll miss it when you start!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am starting a Primary PGCE in September - do you recommend getting a laptop for university? The one I have I can't take it in with me. (very old and has quite a few things wrong with it )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamondsky89)
    Hi, I am starting a Primary PGCE in September - do you recommend getting a laptop for university? The one I have I can't take it in with me. (very old and has quite a few things wrong with it )
    You'll need a laptop or computer to work (mainly plan) at home. I don't think a laptop is needed for university per se.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Starting in September. Feeling very excited and nervous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkfrangipani)
    Starting in September. Feeling very excited and nervous!
    Enjoy it! I absolutely loved my year, had great placements and mentors. First few weeks aren't too hectic so get to know your course mates and don't become overwhelmed with all the info you'll get hurled at you as it all falls into place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    Enjoy it! I absolutely loved my year, had great placements and mentors. First few weeks aren't too hectic so get to know your course mates and don't become overwhelmed with all the info you'll get hurled at you as it all falls into place.
    Totally agree.

The best piece of advice we were given by our subject tutor at the start of the year was "just keep turning up". He said not to go home and stress ourselves out by reading all the course handbooks and stuff, because things would gradually fall into place, so the next thing we needed to do was to turn up again the following morning!

Obviously the workload gets harder and you can't survive the whole by just turning up, but there's a lot to be said for not giving yourself excess work in the first few weeks when you're not even on placement.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    After over a year of reading posts on this thread, I now find myself gearing up to be posting on it. I'm starting to feel the first hint of nerves, but I think I'm in a good position experience-wise and have a good work ethic. I'm reading a bit of my course textbooks at the moment, but mainly using the time to see friends and do everything I know I'll be missing out on soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    After over a year of reading posts on this thread, I now find myself gearing up to be posting on it. I'm starting to feel the first hint of nerves, but I think I'm in a good position experience-wise and have a good work ethic. I'm reading a bit of my course textbooks at the moment, but mainly using the time to see friends and do everything I know I'll be missing out on soon.
    Sounds like you are using your summer well! I tried to read course books over the summer and then never used them again/didn't really gain anything from them. Wish I'd spend more of the time with my friends and family! This summer I've spent much more time with them, however it's now only 3 weeks till school starts and I have done nothing to prepare... Oops!

What subject are you going to be doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    Sounds like you are using your summer well! I tried to read course books over the summer and then never used them again/didn't really gain anything from them. Wish I'd spend more of the time with my friends and family! This summer I've spent much more time with them, however it's now only 3 weeks till school starts and I have done nothing to prepare... Oops!

What subject are you going to be doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's helping me get into the mood of teaching at least, so the reading won't be completely wasted. And I am finding some bits pretty interesting. I'll be training to teach Physics and maths (which of course comes with side orders of biology and chemistry). What did you train to teach?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's helping me get into the mood of teaching at least, so the reading won't be completely wasted. And I am finding some bits pretty interesting. I'll be training to teach Physics and maths (which of course comes with side orders of biology and chemistry). What did you train to teach?
    Ooh very interesting! I trained to teach History. Although I'll have to teach some RE this year as well.

Enjoy the year, it goes SO quickly. And enjoy the first few weeks in September when you aren't on placement!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    Ooh very interesting! I trained to teach History. Although I'll have to teach some RE this year as well.

Enjoy the year, it goes SO quickly. And enjoy the first few weeks in September when you aren't on placement!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, I'll try. I have the horrible feeling I'll be itching to get out of the university into the classroom. Then as soon as I'm on placement I'll be looking to escape the planning and go back to university... I guess the grass is always greener XD

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'll try. I have the horrible feeling I'll be itching to get out of the university into the classroom. Then as soon as I'm on placement I'll be looking to escape the planning and go back to university... I guess the grass is always greener XD
    It sure is, but you're ahead of the game if you already know that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also preparing to start the PGCE! I'm very excited but the reality of the situation is setting in now!!

I'm doing some reading over the Summer, and completing tasks my uni have set. Otherwise, I'm just trying to enjoy myself...and working to earn some pennies!!

Who else will be joining us in this thread? :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    I'm also preparing to start the PGCE! I'm very excited but the reality of the situation is setting in now!!

I'm doing some reading over the Summer, and completing tasks my uni have set. Otherwise, I'm just trying to enjoy myself...and working to earn some pennies!!

Who else will be joining us in this thread? :-)
    I will :-) just finishing uni tasks too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebat)
    I will :-) just finishing uni tasks too.
    Awesome! :-) What subject/age?? I'll be doing Primary PGCE. Do you feel prepared??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    Awesome! :-) What subject/age?? I'll be doing Primary PGCE. Do you feel prepared??
    Sorry I don't know why I didn't add anymore information to that quote! I will be doing primary also. Eeeekkk. Feeling as prepared as I can :-/ have done a bit of reading and almost finished the tasks. What about you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.