The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arva
That's the point I was making - it's far easier than it should be (opinion) and used to be (fact).

Yeah, but it's not fair how your year had easier exams than what we'll have... By the way I got my mathematics grade now so I can start actually sitting exams :tongue:

Original post by dinrah04
Aw at least you're not stuck with C's :/

Yeah I am... Photography :wink::lol:
Original post by Arva
That's the point I was making - it's far easier than it should be (opinion) and used to be (fact).

You have been manipulated by Gove oh no,how do you know the exams are definetley harder you would have to sit both courses,including the teaching at the time of courses to even have a clue and you would have to sit them at the same time and even then you wouldn't know because you might be more suited to one form of examination,compared to other people.

I agree that the maths exams are too easy though and always have been they should be including factorising x cubed into GCSE and finding the areas under curves and maybe Bionomial Expansion as a challenge and Bionomial Expansion is quite tough.
Original post by Dalek1099
You have been manipulated by Gove oh no,how do you know the exams are definetley harder you would have to sit both courses,including the teaching at the time of courses to even have a clue and you would have to sit them at the same time and even then you wouldn't know because you might be more suited to one form of examination,compared to other people.

I agree that the maths exams are too easy though and always have been they should be including factorising x cubed into GCSE and finding the areas under curves and maybe Bionomial Expansion as a challenge and Bionomial Expansion is quite tough.

I had area under curve in my exams... This year...
Original post by shadab786ahmed
I had area under curve in my exams... This year...

Not in GCSE though? because thats A-Level,C2 on most boards:confused:
Not in GCSE though? because thats A-Level,C2 on most boards:confused:

Yes, in my GCSE exam, I had to calculate the area under a graph with ordinates 0 - 5... I used integration... But then I realized it said trapezium rule.. My answers were the same accurate to the nearest ten :tongue: they.were about 5 sq units away..
Yes, in my GCSE exam, I had to calculate the area under a graph with ordinates 0 - 5... I used integration... But then I realized it said trapezium rule.. My answers were the same accurate to the nearest ten :tongue: they.were about 5 sq units away..

I never knew there was another way to calculate the area under the curve,I bet integration is the easier way I don't like shape very much.Did you also have to calculate arbitary units between points or not? just wondering.
Yeah, but it's not fair how your year had easier exams than what we'll have... By the way I got my mathematics grade now so I can start actually sitting exams :tongue:

Yeah I am... Photography :wink::lol:

I guess at least mine was a short course, but there's now way I'm doing better in Engineering and it's double award, so I'm going to end with 3 and a half C's ;(
I never knew there was another way to calculate the area under the curve,I bet integration is the easier way I don't like shape very much.Did you also have to calculate arbitary units between points or not? just wondering.

We had to calculate the gradient of the curve...
Area under the curve with the trapezium rule...
And they gave the ordinates...

That's all... Worth a few marks too :tongue:

I guess at least mine was a short course, but there's now way I'm doing better in Engineering and it's double award, so I'm going to end with 3 and a half C's ;(

Aah, but yiu can push it up now! :redface:
Reply 3668
Basic Differentiation and Integration are a lot easier than non-right angeled trig though:confused:
Basic Differentiation is just putting the power in front of the x and taking one of the x and integration is just the reverse and adding a c at the end,factorising 2+x^2 quadratics is probably harder.There is a decent bit of A-Level content is easier than the top levels of GCSE that is put there so people can get E grades and I seen a GCSE question,on a C4 paper before-it required no A-Level knowledge.

This is true, but applying them to find tangental equations and areas (and the matrix manipulation I mentioned that you ignored) are harder than subbing values into the sine and cosine rules, and that's the common type of question you'd recieve with simple calculus.
True, some A-Level stuff can be done with GCSE knowledge, but to be honest that has no bearing on my point, that GCSE Maths has become much, much easier recently.
@zed963

Make sure you include language devices eg.don't say word,say verb,noun,metaphor and you will also have to take about the effect on audience and give multiple interpretations,even ones that you don't agree with because to do well you should look into other people's minds,into what other people's interpretations could be and you should also show perceptiveness this means to show the examiner that you are picking out the best examples and really thinking about the evidence you are using.
We had to calculate the gradient of the curve...
Area under the curve with the trapezium rule...
And they gave the ordinates...

That's all... Worth a few marks too :tongue:

Aah, but yiu can push it up now! :redface:

Woops I meant 2 and a half, but Citizenship is done, and Engineering is just nooooooo
Reply 3671

I disagree with you - I must have been manipulated, oh no! :rolleyes:
:lol:
I know the exams are harder because they used to contain complex questions that required creativity as well as a broader knowledge than the exams do nowadays. You only have to attempt an old paper to see that, or look at the syllabi.
Original post by Arva
This is true, but applying them to find tangental equations and areas (and the matrix manipulation I mentioned that you ignored) are harder than subbing values into the sine and cosine rules, and that's the common type of question you'd recieve with simple calculus.
True, some A-Level stuff can be done with GCSE knowledge, but to be honest that has no bearing on my point, that GCSE Maths has become much, much easier recently.

The sine,cosine and tangent rules,for non-right angled triangles require loads of calculations and take ages to grasp,where as basic differentiation ,including tangents I self taught straight away and I didn't get the first lesson on the topic.

Tangental equations are just putting the x coordinate into dy/dx and then timsing the gradient by the x coordinate and then working out what you have to plus or minus to get to y.
NaCO3 + HCl ---> NaCl + H2O + CO2

That's not balanced :smile:

Sodium Carbonate + Hydrochloric Acid ---> Sodium Chloride + Water + Carbon Dioxide

So a metal and an acid always produces water and carbon dioxide, and you just see what's left? xD
Are there any other rules for other types of materials?
Original post by Arva
I disagree with you - I must have been manipulated, oh no! :rolleyes:
:lol:
I know the exams are harder because they used to contain complex questions that required creativity as well as a broader knowledge than the exams do nowadays. You only have to attempt an old paper to see that, or look at the syllabi.

I have seen O-Level Maths papers and the reason why they look tougher,is the whole set up and question style is unfamiliar and they include different content that isn't taught at GCSE,that isn't really that much harder.
Woops I meant 2 and a half, but Citizenship is done, and Engineering is just nooooooo

But you can improve :wink: I cant :frown:

Original post by Kittaaaaay
So a metal and an acid always produces water and carbon dioxide, and you just see what's left? xD
Are there any other rules for other types of materials?

These are the three rules:

Acid + Metal Oxide ---> Salt + Water

2HCl + CuO ---> CuCl2 + H2O

Acid + Metal Hydroxide ---> Salt + Water

HNO3 + NaOH ---> NaNO3 + H2O

Acid + Carbonate ---> Salt + Water + Carbon Dioxide

H2SO4 + CaCO3 ---> CaSO4 + H2O + CO2

Acid + Ammonia ---> Ammonium Salt

Nitric Acid + Ammonia ---> Ammonium Nitrate

:biggrin:

These are the three rules:

Acid + Metal Oxide ---> Salt + Water

2HCl + CuO ---> CuCl2 + H2O

Acid + Metal Hydroxide ---> Salt + Water

HNO3 + NaOH ---> NaNO3 + H2O

Acid + Carbonate ---> Salt + Water + Carbon Dioxide

H2SO4 + CaCO3 ---> CaSO4 + H2O + CO2

Acid + Ammonia ---> Ammonium Salt

Nitric Acid + Ammonia ---> Ammonium Nitrate

:biggrin:

That doesn't add up to three xD
So which is the one where hydrogen gas is produced?

OOooo Chemistry :biggrin:....I Dont think I can look at science now..it upsets me too much...reminds me of my failure :frown:

Original post by Miracle Day
Glad you all liked it haha

LOL! Yep :tongue: :yep:

What three? :tongue:
What three? :tongue:

You said "these are the three rules" and there was more than three xD
I don't know, I still don't get this, I'll probably eat my textbook or something :emo:

Latest