Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renzhi10122)
    Someone's been doing some BMO1
    haha you know the papers too well Thats where I first saw it, but for some reason I had a dream about doing this question the other night so thought I should share . I have been doing some BMO recently though- I saw a comment (perhaps by you) about people who say olympiad stuff isnt proper maths, mainly because they cant do it themselves, and I dont want to be one of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    haha you know the papers too well Thats where I first saw it, but for some reason I had a dream about doing this question the other night so thought I should share . I have been doing some BMO recently though- I saw a comment (perhaps by you) about people who say olympiad stuff isnt proper maths, mainly because they cant do it themselves, and I dont want to be one of them!
    Lol that was me.
    BMO is wonderful I think great problem solving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    Problem 581*

You select a real number entirely at random from the interval [0, 2\pi]. What is the probability that \sin x + \cos x is greater than 1 in magnitude?

Disclaimer: I made this up myself. I think my logic is correct, but my probability is **** so if this is an impossible question (or significantly harder than the * I gave it) then my apologies.
    Am I being dozy or is this just a half?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Lol that was me.
    BMO is wonderful I think great problem solving.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree Although the final result for some questions I might not find amazing, the techniques involved are always quite nice. Did you notice a significant improvement in all your maths problem solving skills (including STEP) after BMO 2 revision or does it just help your number theory/ geometry stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Am I being dozy or is this just a half?
    Not being dozy. I just write easy questions haha.

ReputationRep:
    I agree Although the final result for some questions I might not find amazing, the techniques involved are always quite nice. Did you notice a significant improvement in all your maths problem solving skills (including STEP) after BMO 2 revision or does it just help your number theory/ geometry stuff?
    It helps alot with general spots aswell alot of step are off theorems simplified with stepsI seen a serious improvement after doing BMO2 properly to the extent where most of step is fairly straightforward and obvious. Ofcourse only will actually know until the 18th august but I should be ok for S,1 this year. I seen a serious significant improvement.
    I only answered a few questions in III 2014 and 2015 so when I redo those papers not including the questions i already did then I will know how much I improved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Problem 582

Let b and c be uniformly distributed with  -2 < b < 2 and  -1 < c < 1.

Find the probability that x^2 - bx + c = 0 has real roots less than 1 in magnitude.

ReputationRep:
    It helps alot with general spots aswell alot of step are off theorems simplified with stepsI seen a serious improvement after doing BMO2 properly to the extent where most of step is fairly straightforward and obvious. Ofcourse only will actually know until the 18th august but I should be ok for S,1 this year. I seen a serious significant improvement.
    I only answered a few questions in III 2014 and 2015 so when I redo those papers not including the questions i already did then I will know how much I improved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, Ill have another look at BMO then. Im getting to the stage where most step qs are pretty straight forwards and BMO feels like how I used to find step when I was just getting into it. I still make dumb mistakes though so hopefully it will help to phase those out . Im pretty sure you'll get those grade atleast though, my personal goal is Ss so if you cant get them I most certainly wont!

ReputationRep:
    Problem 581*

You select a real number entirely at random from the interval [0, 2\pi]. What is the probability that \sin x + \cos x is greater than 1 in magnitude?

Disclaimer: I made this up myself. I think my logic is correct, but my probability is **** so if this is an impossible question (or significantly harder than the * I gave it) then my apologies.
    My probability is far crappier than anybody, but this looks very/quite nice, so:

Solution 581

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}\sin x + \cos x = \sqrt{2}\sin \left(x - \frac{\pi}{4}\right)\end{equatio  n*}

So for that to be greater than one in magnitude we need \left|\sin \left(x + \frac{\pi}{4}\right)\right| \geq \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}

So that gives us x + \frac{\pi}{4} \in \left[\frac{\pi}{4}, \frac{3\pi}{4}\right] \union \left[\frac{5\pi}{4}, \frac{7\pi}{4}\right]

That's a total width of \pi in the total interval length of 2\pi - so the probability is \frac{\pi}{2\pi}. I quite liked this!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Ill have another look at BMO then. Im getting to the stage where most step qs are pretty straight forwards and BMO feels like how I used to find step when I was just getting into it. I still make dumb mistakes though so hopefully it will help to phase those out . Im pretty sure you'll get those grade atleast though, my personal goal is Ss so if you cant get them I most certainly wont!
    Lol my goal is sss aswell. 100+ in each paper is the goal!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Problem 582

Let b and c be uniformly distributed with  -2 < b < 2 and  -1 < c < 1.

Find the probability that x^2 - bx + c = 0 has real roots less than 1 in magnitude.
    Just to check the obvious, is that all roots <1 or sum of roots less than 1? (I guess the former)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    My probability is far crappier than anybody, but this looks very/quite nice, so:

Solution 581

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}\sin x + \cos x = \sqrt{2}\sin \left(x - \frac{\pi}{4}\right)\end{equatio  n*}

So for that to be greater than one in magnitude we need \left|\sin \left(x + \frac{\pi}{4}\right)\right| \geq \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}

So that gives us x + \frac{\pi}{4} \in \left[\frac{\pi}{4}, \frac{3\pi}{4}\right] \union \left[\frac{5\pi}{4}, \frac{7\pi}{4}\right]

That's a total width of \pi in the total interval length of 2\pi - so the probability is \frac{\pi}{2\pi}. I quite liked this!!
    Pi/2Pi= 1/2(pi/pi)=1/2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just to check the obvious, is that all roots <1 or sum of roots less than 1? (I guess the former)
    -1< aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    -1< aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ah yep. Hurray for skim reading

ReputationRep:
    Pi/2Pi= 1/2(pi/pi)=1/2

ReputationRep:
    Yes the former, both roots are < 1 in magnitude.

Yup, now try 582 above :-)

ReputationRep:
    Yup, now try 582 above :-)
    Did you get this idea off a STEP paper? I remember something similar. (referring to the roots of a quadratic, not the sin x + cos x)

ReputationRep:
    Did you get this idea off a STEP paper? I remember something similar. (referring to the roots of a quadratic, not the sin x + cos x)
    I have been discovered.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think this was in a Siklos booklet (or similar)

ReputationRep:
    Problem 583

x_i=\pm 1 and  x_1x_2x_3x_4+x_2x_3x_4x_5+...+x_  nx_1x_2x_3=0
    Prove that  n is divisible by 4.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.