Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    its BS
    Thought so - all the other rumour columns are suggesting that he's definitely going to Juve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gainsbourg)
    Gonzalo Higuain: "I have offers many outside Spain, but I decided to accept the offer of Arsenal, but that does not mean that I have finished all the procedures move to Arsenal, but there are still negotiations between me and them"

"I decided to go there because I'm still young and I see that the way the team played for me too and you'll get used to there quickly"

From the Premier League News fb page - is this legit anyone?
    Sounds too good to be true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    Benteke needs an extra year to prove what he can do. I don't mind paying a £5m premium for this in a years time.

But as of now, he could easily be classed as a one seaoson wonder. I've seen it too many times with players like Barry and Milner.

We can't afford to take that kind of a risk given the lack of quality we have upfront.

I agree to an extent, but if he leaves villa he will not be available next year, even at a £5m premium... And he'll almost certainly be playing for a direct rival.

(Original post by sevchenko)
    Sounds too good to be true
    yeah, first thought that came to mind for sure... And if it sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't.

ReputationRep:
    city agreed a deal for fernandinho for 34mill. Making their intentions clear but there is no way he is worth that, arsene would not spend more than 12mill on him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    city agreed a deal for fernandinho for 34mill. Making their intentions clear but there is no way he is worth that, arsene would not spend more than 12mill on him
    People said the same when Bayern dropped 40m euro on javi martinez but i dont think anyones sceptic anymore, at the end of the day you can baulk at valuations and try and bargain hunt or you can just go out and pay what it takes to get the player you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    People said the same when Bayern dropped 40m euro on javi martinez but i dont think anyones sceptic anymore, at the end of the day you can baulk at valuations and try and bargain hunt or you can just go out and pay what it takes to get the player you want

javi martinez played in la liga, fernandinho plays in ukraine and cant even get into the brazil team

The guy had 2 good games in the champions league. Think shakter donetsk ripped off city like they ripped off anzhi with william, just seems a ridiculous price to me

ReputationRep:
    ha lost to Bradford.
    CTID

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    javi martinez played in la liga, fernandinho plays in ukraine and cant even get into the brazil team

The guy had 2 good games in the champions league. Think shakter donetsk ripped off city like they ripped off anzhi with william, just seems a ridiculous price to me
    Definitely another reminder we got ripped off on fabregas

ReputationRep:
    Well City and Bayern can because the next 40m player is always around the corner. But where are Arsenal going to find more readies if a big signing turns out to be a flop? We need to be more careful.

Wouldnt even say Martinez has been a great signing. They paid top money and got a top player, no more no less. Its like buying a brand new BMW, hard to say you got a good deal even if you got a great car.

Definitely another reminder we got ripped off on fabregas
    That 50% sell on clause is potentially worth another 20m to us...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Well City and Bayern can because the next 40m player is always around the corner. But where are Arsenal going to find more readies if a big signing turns out to be a flop? We need to be more careful.

Wouldnt even say Martinez has been a great signing. They paid top money and got a top player, no more no less. Its like buying a brand new BMW, hard to say you got a good deal even if you got a great car.

That 50% sell on clause is potentially worth another 20m to us...
    Yeah its not to say Arsenal should start going around splashing out but you cant criticise a club for identifying a target and then doing what it takes to buy them I don't think, everyone likes to get up on their high horse about the fact arsenal don't spend any money and that wenger is stubborn enough to think his opinion should be the sole factor in valuing a player but for me its not really something to get sanctimonious about at all and everyone who tried it last year with Martinez looks like a tit now, whether he was value or not they added a quality player to their team that helped them to achieve a historic season so I don't think they really give a **** if they overpaid a bit

The 50% sell on clause is based around the notion that he will never leave Barca or if he does it will be to come back to Arsenal late in his career and even though hes not got off to a flier there I would be suprised if he left any time soon

ReputationRep:
    Im just wondering imagine barca sell thiago and fabregas to united for 55mill but fabregas was worth 1 pound. Would we only get 50p or are there restrictions on barca's valuation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Im just wondering imagine barca sell thiago and fabregas to united for 55mill but fabregas was worth 1 pound. Would we only get 50p or are there restrictions on barca's valuation?
    Monaco and Porto did this with James/Moutinho to piss off Sporting Lisbon.

However, Arsenal have first refusal on any accepted bid for Cesc so technically if they tried this Arsenal could sign him for £1.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its not to say Arsenal should start going around splashing out but you cant criticise a club for identifying a target and then doing what it takes to buy them I don't think, everyone likes to get up on their high horse about the fact arsenal don't spend any money and that wenger is stubborn enough to think his opinion should be the sole factor in valuing a player but for me its not really something to get sanctimonious about at all and everyone who tried it last year with Martinez looks like a tit now, whether he was value or not they added a quality player to their team that helped them to achieve a historic season so I don't think they really give a **** if they overpaid a bit

The 50% sell on clause is based around the notion that he will never leave Barca or if he does it will be to come back to Arsenal late in his career and even though hes not got off to a flier there I would be suprised if he left any time soon
    Yeah but had Martinez flopped hugely they would just go out and replace him with another 40m player. They can afford risky transfers much more than we can at the minute so I can understand to some extent Wenger's position. On the other hand, not buying any player is probably the worst outcome of all and that option is one AW is much to comfortable with.

If Fab goes to any club we collect 50% of the fee so theres alot of potential value there. Of course the 50%/first refusal make us pretty much the only club who would bid for him anyway but I dont think we got such a bad deal overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bronco2012)
    Monaco and Porto did this with James/Moutinho to piss off Sporting Lisbon.

However, Arsenal have first refusal on any accepted bid for Cesc so technically if they tried this Arsenal could sign him for £1.
    No, If some bids for Cesc Barca have to inform us immediately then we have a choice to buy Cesc back for the agreed buy back price of 25m

ReputationRep:
    http://player.arsenal.com/player/3701-arsenal-lite

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but had Martinez flopped hugely they would just go out and replace him with another 40m player. They can afford risky transfers much more than we can at the minute so I can understand to some extent Wenger's position. On the other hand, not buying any player is probably the worst outcome of all and that option is one AW is much to comfortable with.

If Fab goes to any club we collect 50% of the fee so theres alot of potential value there. Of course the 50%/first refusal make us pretty much the only club who would bid for him anyway but I dont think we got such a bad deal overall.
    If clubs like Man City, Chelsea, PSG, Monaco, Russian clubs etc really want him, the 50% fee to Arsenal won't affect the buyers. It might force the price up to get him from Barcelona since they will want to recoup their outlay but it just means a figure of 50-60mil - which isn't that much more than what's being spent lately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Not surprised tbh that we're gonna miss out him - it seems like this is the trend the summer will take. But I'm not really fussed about Ben take. Apparently Chelsea are lining up a bid for Jovetic and we're not prepared to pay over £1 million for Julio Cesar. The two players we've bought are 20 and 16 year olds.

We can't blame Koscielny for threatening to leave.
    No offence, but why is every one of your posts on this thread always so negative? I can't be bothered to go through all your posts in recent history but every time you post on here to say something it's just to be negative. I don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    Very underrated player was Keown, the complete defender. Koscielny reminds me of him tbh
    For sure. I guess it's quite funny then that Adams and Mertesacker also share a lot of similarities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    For sure. I guess it's quite funny then that Adams and Mertesacker also share a lot of similarities.

In what way do you reckon they're similar. You always make decent posts and so I'd be interested to hear. To me apart from the fact that neither is quickest out of the blocks the similarity ends. TA was much more physical, and had a much better leap on him, and so never got bullied in the air the way the BFG sometimes does. Also in his time under Wenger really developed as a footballer and could hit some sweet passes. Also scored a fair amount of goals as well.

The premier league centre back I reckon that has the most in common with Tone is unfortunately John Terry. I loathe JT but respect him a lot as a player. Both were defenders who never relied on pace - they relied on their physical strength and ability to organise and marshall a defence well. Terry also scores a fair few goals. Also they have parallels as one club men. Tony Adams is Mr Arsenal, and JT classless **** that he is, is probably suited to be Mr Chelski. I remember the summer before abramovic came, how all the transfer chat that summer was Terry to Arsenal as Adam's replacement. Clearly even the Arsenal scouts, board and Wenger saw the similarities even then.

Not saying I don't rate Mertesacker. I do, but I think Tony Adams was cut from a far superior cloth in his playing days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    What does everyone think of Cardiff City, Hull and Crystal Palace? Do you think they might be 'dangerous'.. Cos you know as an Arsenal fan I think it's safe to say that Arsenal can play funnily against smaller teams (remember the nightmare past of 'bradford'??) yet triumph against big clubs (i.e Bayern Munich second leg anyway).. I don't think much of Crystal palace to be honest, Wilfried Zaha literally carried them through and he's off soo... opinions?
    I agree about Crystal Palace, Zaha going to Man Utd means they'll have lost their stand-out player and will need to find a sufficient replacement. That being said, they did get a decent fee for him so depends how they spend their money I guess. Would've been nice if Watford won the play-off spot just so Almunia & Zola were back in the PL though

I'm not remotely interested in Hull, expecting them to go back down tbh. Cardiff are a side that intrigue me, seeing a new Welsh derby in the top flight will be interesting. They've pretty much changed their identity over the couple of years and their owners have invested into a new stadium and improving the club rather than just the team like QPR have. They seem like a bit of a sugar daddy club but judging from their Wiki page for next season they'll be playing players from their academy as well.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.