Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Tennis Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Wawrinka is an outside contender going by the odds, but grass is his least favourite surface by far. The balls don't bounce up as high as they do on clay/hard and he has less time to set himself up for topspin shots, so he can't bludgeon the ball as effectively.
    While i'd agree, Fed and Nadal have both won Wimbledon with significant topspin (infact people forget just how much topspin Fed adapted to use in order to cope with Nadal).

I tend to think that once at the top, the difference in surface play tends to reduce significantly. Remember that in 2012 and 2013 everybody was telling me that Del Potro can't play on grass due his prior results (i disagreed having seen his 2011 match vs Nadal) and then look at how he produced 2 epics.

Surface differences i would therefore contend are (at least in an age where surfaces are similar) only important for players who don't have it in them to dominate the tour generally anyway. Now Warwinka is not that player obviously but if he can turn up at the big moments on clay and hard courts then i'd wager he has a Wimbledon in him as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Lol ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Name a time in a Grand Slam where Nadal, Djokovic or Federer have played at their best against Murray and lost. Hint: there is no time. This is why Murray has reached so many semis and finals, but only converted it into 2 Grand Slam wins against a Djokovic who was playing well below his best on the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    Name a time in a Grand Slam where Nadal, Djokovic or Federer have played at their best against Murray and lost. Hint: there is no time. This is why Murray has reached so many semis and finals, but only converted it into 2 Grand Slam wins against a Djokovic who was playing well below his best on the day.
    Better give back that trophy.

ReputationRep:
    In his typical efforts to play just well enough to keep me interested but badly enough that he never wins anything, Tomic has taken a set off Nadal.

ReputationRep:
    Nadal is looking real good at the moment, even if he had two struggles against Bagdhatis and Tomic. 14 aces against Tomic yesterday, got to be his most aces in a match for quite a while.

ReputationRep:
    Nadal playing much better on grass than on clay, although Monfils clowned as usual, This clown should be fined.

ReputationRep:
    Nick Kyrgios draws Stan Wawrinka at Queen's (opening round) - that could be fun.

ReputationRep:

Wallow in the brilliance of the great one.

Nadal a set up.

ReputationRep:
    Federer vs Kohlsriber R1 in Halle. Very tough but exciting opening round tie for Federer.

ReputationRep:
    Rafa wins Stuttgart, his first grass court title for 5 years. As important, was how well he was playing through all 4 matches - aggressive tennis with 32 aces for the tournament, against some tough competition in 3 out of 4 of his matches. If he has a good showing in Queens Rafa could be setting himself up as a dangerous dark horse for the Wimbledon title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    Rafa wins Stuttgart, his first grass court title for 5 years. As important, was how well he was playing through all 4 matches - aggressive tennis with 32 aces for the tournament, against some tough competition in 3 out of 4 of his matches. If he has a good showing in Queens Rafa could be setting himself up as a dangerous dark horse for the Wimbledon title.
    It'll be good to see Rafa competing well again, of course everyone declines but he should be better than he has been the last year. It's good to see him playing good tennis again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    It'll be good to see Rafa competing well again, of course everyone declines but he should be better than he has been the last year. It's good to see him playing good tennis again
    It truly is! I just want for him to be competitive so he can keep growing the confidence to be challenging for a major again (sounds weird to say it that way, but he hasn't been past the QF of a Grand Slam in over a year now.

This month is just blissful - grass court tournaments aplenty and rounded off by Wimbledon at the end of the month. I'm heading to the Aegon Classic in Birmingham on Friday, and then off to Wimbledon twice this year (was lucky in the club ballot and via a friend who got lucky).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    It truly is! I just want for him to be competitive so he can keep growing the confidence to be challenging for a major again (sounds weird to say it that way, but he hasn't been past the QF of a Grand Slam in over a year now.

This month is just blissful - grass court tournaments aplenty and rounded off by Wimbledon at the end of the month. I'm heading to the Aegon Classic in Birmingham on Friday, and then off to Wimbledon twice this year (was lucky in the club ballot and via a friend who got lucky).
    Yeah I love this time of the year, exams are over so I can give tennis my undivided attention. I'm hoping to go down to Wimbledon but nothing planned as such, definitely jealous of your plans though

ReputationRep:
    Rafa played better than I thought he would last week

ReputationRep:
    Phew! What an escape from Federer.

ReputationRep:
    Nadal out of Queens! Back to square one but credit to Dolgopolov.

ReputationRep:
    My man Dolgopolov with a great win over Nadal. It's an absolute tragedy that a player of his talent isn't in the top 10.

I feel sorry for Nadal but no one can be great forever unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Shame for Rafa, up a break in the 3rd but then his FH all but deserted him and he got tight in the big moments. Dolgopolov played very well though and deserved to win.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, back to the drawing board. Lot of tentative play by Nadal on the big points, interspersed with some great play from Dolgopolov (who wins his 2nd consecutive match against the Spaniard)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Bye bye, Rafa.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.