Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    Will probably still be hanging around the edges of the thread - next year should be an easier year for studies as its mostly psychology in year 2 for me! My experience though is out of date as they seem to have changed the interview process and questions quite a lot!

It feels weird with no results day to be honest - keep watching the results day thread for A2/AS reliving the experience - just like on here haha but relieved at the same time that I have no August resits (that was an unexpected bonus).

You will have to tell me where you post your blog and I will check it out!
    Yeah I guess, it'll just be weird seeing the new guys set up their thread - is it usually around results day when it comes up? How would you sum up your first year though - was it everything you expected?

No I get you. Now July is like your results day haha! It's weird tho, I do miss it a bit! But I'm considering trying to do biology and chemistry at a level either during 4th year (it's only half a year at DMU) or when I graduate so I might have to go through it again. You excited for next year?

Yeah definitely! I'll build it up a little before I start posting it everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanC55)
    Yeah I guess, it'll just be weird seeing the new guys set up their thread - is it usually around results day when it comes up? How would you sum up your first year though - was it everything you expected?

No I get you. Now July is like your results day haha! It's weird tho, I do miss it a bit! But I'm considering trying to do biology and chemistry at a level either during 4th year (it's only half a year at DMU) or when I graduate so I might have to go through it again. You excited for next year?

Yeah definitely! I'll build it up a little before I start posting it everywhere.
    Around September I reckon when folk go back to college and all talk turns to UCAS.

Don't really know what I was expecting to be honest - its a lot more varied and detailed than you first think and at time quite intense. I had no idea about phonetics and linguistics for instance and what was involved. I was worried about the science bits as have done no science since gcse and then only did double science. The developmental psychology was fine as I did A2 psychology so no real surprises there. Other bits like child development I didn't really think too much about either before I started. But then again buried my head in the sand before going to uni as just the thought of it terrified me! And its the whole learning curve of how deal with uni work/assignments/exams that you have to come to terms with too - though you have been there and done that so it wont be such a steep slope for you.

On the whole its been great and looking forward to year 2 - just going to have to work hard not to forget the SLT aspects so I can cope with year 3. Oh gosh where does the time go??????

ReputationRep:
    Around September I reckon when folk go back to college and all talk turns to UCAS.

Don't really know what I was expecting to be honest - its a lot more varied and detailed than you first think and at time quite intense. I had no idea about phonetics and linguistics for instance and what was involved. I was worried about the science bits as have done no science since gcse and then only did double science. The developmental psychology was fine as I did A2 psychology so no real surprises there. Other bits like child development I didn't really think too much about either before I started. But then again buried my head in the sand before going to uni as just the thought of it terrified me! And its the whole learning curve of how deal with uni work/assignments/exams that you have to come to terms with too - though you have been there and done that so it wont be such a steep slope for you.

On the whole its been great and looking forward to year 2 - just going to have to work hard not to forget the SLT aspects so I can cope with year 3. Oh gosh where does the time go??????
    Yeah that makes sense! It still feels like a blur tbh I didn't decide to apply until December so it was a quick turn around for me! Still trying to get my head around it.

Yeah I've done linguistics and a bit of psychology so I feel I can cope with that - it's everything else that terrifies me! The placements especially... The adjustment period isn't worrying me was I adapt well to new situations.

Do you do many placements when you do a joint course! I know it's all happening so quickly

ReputationRep:
    Hey All,

Could anyone starting the BSc in Speech and Language Therapy at Leeds Beckett in September 2015 please advise the Facebook group name?
    I have seen on this thread " Leeds Beckett- Speech & Language Therapy 2015" but no luck when I search for that Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend some good introductory Linguistics and Phonetics text books or websites giving some basic introduction to both in an easy to understand way?

I have done both before as part of my first undergrad waaay back in 2004 but now can't recall any if it, plus my old textbooks are in Canada.

Would be nice to get a little refresher in again before September.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that makes sense! It still feels like a blur tbh I didn't decide to apply until December so it was a quick turn around for me! Still trying to get my head around it.

Yeah I've done linguistics and a bit of psychology so I feel I can cope with that - it's everything else that terrifies me! The placements especially... The adjustment period isn't worrying me was I adapt well to new situations.

Do you do many placements when you do a joint course! I know it's all happening so quickly
    It will all be real soon!

Placements are the area I am least confident about - I am such a quiet/timid person and young with limited life experience - that's where "mature" students have the edge.

We do the same amount of placements as the single honours course - done 3 during first year. Not so many in year 2 as we do more psychology - then its back to more SLT in final two years. Its a shame but we separate from the SLT students we started with now and finish the rest of the speech units with this years intake - so have to make more new friends!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiramisuGoomba)
    Can anyone recommend some good introductory Linguistics and Phonetics text books or websites giving some basic introduction to both in an easy to understand way?

I have done both before as part of my first undergrad waaay back in 2004 but now can't recall any if it, plus my old textbooks are in Canada.

I found Phonetics a Coursebook by Rachel Ann Knight really good and it has practice tests too so helpful as more than an intro book. Didn't really use a book for Linguistics sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiramisuGoomba)

As AmyPilot said Phonetics a Coursebook by Rachael-Anne Knight is a really good book if you want an introduction to phonetics! The book assumes you have had no experience in phonetics before. Some parts of the book are a little outdated from what I have heard, but it has really helped me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phonetics-A-.../dp/0521732441

ReputationRep:
    It will all be real soon!

Placements are the area I am least confident about - I am such a quiet/timid person and young with limited life experience - that's where "mature" students have the edge.

We do the same amount of placements as the single honours course - done 3 during first year. Not so many in year 2 as we do more psychology - then its back to more SLT in final two years. Its a shame but we separate from the SLT students we started with now and finish the rest of the speech units with this years intake - so have to make more new friends!
    Yeah I know haha, I feel like I need constant reassurance that it's real and I didn't dream it cause I never thought to would happen.

No I feel you on that but you seem caring, kind natured and happy to help from this thread all off which will help you breeze it! I'm lucky in that I'm a people person so I can adapt to any situation just about. I'm nervous about being the only guy and them maybe treating me differently.

Ah do you prefer psychology or SaLT and what made you choose the joint one over a single? That sucks but like you say it means you'll have more friends from uni!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know haha, I feel like I need constant reassurance that it's real and I didn't dream it cause I never thought to would happen.

No I feel you on that but you seem caring, kind natured and happy to help from this thread all off which will help you breeze it! I'm lucky in that I'm a people person so I can adapt to any situation just about. I'm nervous about being the only guy and them maybe treating me differently.

Ah do you prefer psychology or SaLT and what made you choose the joint one over a single? That sucks but like you say it means you'll have more friends from uni!
    You'll be ok being male - there are a few at MMU and they get along just fine!

I wnt for the joint course to keep my future options open - maybe educational psychology doctorate in the future? Who knows? But it is a recognised psychology degree with BPS so it can't hurt to have both!

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is interested Futurelearn are running an online course on swallowing difficulties and its free!

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is interested Futurelearn are running an online course on swallowing difficulties and its free!
    I signed up for this course when my Psychology teacher persuaded me to sign up for a Forensic Psychology one. Haven't started on it yet though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MartinaMK)
    Hey All,

Could anyone starting the BSc in Speech and Language Therapy at Leeds Beckett in September 2015 please advise the Facebook group name?
    I have seen on this thread " Leeds Beckett- Speech & Language Therapy 2015" but no luck when I search for that Cheers
    That is the correct name for the group. It maybe because I've put it as a private group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/730215203742725/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhimair)
    I signed up for this course when my Psychology teacher persuaded me to sign up for a Forensic Psychology one. Haven't started on it yet though!
    I did it this time last year - part of my prep for first year (not that anything truly prepares you for the real thing lol).

Oh the forensic psychology one sounds interesting ....

ReputationRep:
    You'll be ok being male - there are a few at MMU and they get along just fine!

I wnt for the joint course to keep my future options open - maybe educational psychology doctorate in the future? Who knows? But it is a recognised psychology degree with BPS so it can't hurt to have both!
    Yeah I found a couple of DMU graduates in the speech therapy group! It's definitely put my mind at ease!

No I get you completely I think you made a very good choice tbh! It'll help you stand out when you graduate

ReputationRep:
    How long are the classes I might check it out

ReputationRep:
    How long are the classes I might check it out
    Can't remember exactly - I did it last year - but no more than 1-2 hours of your time a week - it is more from a pharmaceutical point of view but it is interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeHarg)
    That is the correct name for the group. It maybe because I've put it as a private group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/730215203742725/
    Super thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I can't seem to find the BCU Facebook page anymore, has it been taken down for some reason? Anyone else heard anything back from occupational health (I haven't) yet?

ReputationRep:
    I did it this time last year - part of my prep for first year (not that anything truly prepares you for the real thing lol).

Oh the forensic psychology one sounds interesting ....
    I haven't got to the end of it yet. I stopped because of exams and haven't got back into it! It's really cool though - a lot to do with criminal profiling, and eyewitness testimonies etc. It's kind-of like a 'use-the-info-to-solve-the-crime' course, but it goes into the negatives of profiling as well as the positives - so it doesn't just sugar-coat the field (which is good for people who want to go into forensic psych, but whose only experience is crime TV shows etc.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.