Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got a problem with Eng Language.All my other subjects i believe i can do sometging about it.I believe Your English mark depend on whos marking your paper, so how exactly do people get a guaranteed A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please do me a huge favour and explain how the french controlled assessment scoring works?
    I got:
    25 in my first ever writing- low A
    27 2nd writing -high A
    29 speaking -A*
    29 speaking- A*
    What would I need to get in my reading and listening exams to get an A* overall? (Raw marks)
    my reading is by far my strongest.
    Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimberlymegsx)
    Could someone please do me a huge favour and explain how the french controlled assessment scoring works?
    I got:
    25 in my first ever writing- low A
    27 2nd writing -high A
    29 speaking -A*
    29 speaking- A*
    What would I need to get in my reading and listening exams to get an A* overall? (Raw marks)
    my reading is by far my strongest.
    Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OK so all the controlled assessments are out of 30, so out of 120 all together. This equates to 60% of your final grade with the other 40% coming from the listening and reading exams which are individually equally weighted. The raw marks for each of coursework and exams are converted to UMS. All together I think the whole course is out of 300 UMS. On how many raw marks you would need in the exams - this changes every year. The UMS doesn't though - thats the whole point of UMS, it standardises the raw marks (more on UMS here).

I think you need 270/300 UMS for an A* although I'm not certain. Again, for working out your coursework UMS, you would have to take a rough guess and use a previous years UMS boundaries. So for example, using June 2014's:

Speaking = 86 UMS
    Writing = 74 UMS
    Total = 160

So you need 110 UMS out of a possible 120 UMS in the reading and listening exams - bear in mind however that in last years listening, 55 UMS was 34/40 and in last years reading 55 UMS was about 34/45 raw.

Hope this has helped you out!!

oh yeah - and this is all presuming you are on AQA :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    OK so all the controlled assessments are out of 30, so out of 120 all together. This equates to 60% of your final grade with the other 40% coming from the listening and reading exams which are individually equally weighted. The raw marks for each of coursework and exams are converted to UMS. All together I think the whole course is out of 300 UMS. On how many raw marks you would need in the exams - this changes every year. The UMS doesn't though - thats the whole point of UMS, it standardises the raw marks (more on UMS here).

I think you need 270/300 UMS for an A* although I'm not certain. Again, for working out your coursework UMS, you would have to take a rough guess and use a previous years UMS boundaries. So for example, using June 2014's:

Speaking = 86 UMS
    Writing = 74 UMS
    Total = 160

So you need 110 UMS out of a possible 120 UMS in the reading and listening exams - bear in mind however that in last years listening, 55 UMS was 34/40 and in last years reading 55 UMS was about 34/45 raw.

Hope this has helped you out!!

oh yeah - and this is all presuming you are on AQA :mmm:
    Yes I am on AQA haha sorry completely forgot to mention that! Thank you so much that's helped loads! Just need to really improve my listening now haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimberlymegsx)
    Yes I am on AQA haha sorry completely forgot to mention that! Thank you so much that's helped loads! Just need to really improve my listening now haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem, I did a similar kind of thing for my french coursework a couple of weeks ago

ReputationRep:
    I need to hand in my A Level options by the end of next week and I'm still not 100% sure about the options I'm planning on choosing

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to ask about French coursework as well! I'm in AQA and terrible at listening (get A*s on reading and C's on listening) so do you think it would be possible for me to get an overall A* if I got a C in the listening? My coursework marks are 30/30 in the writing and 29/30 in the speaking (still have to do one more writing and one more speaking) Thanks!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Coursework... Can it be over yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple-Pixie)
    I need to hand in my A Level options by the end of next week and I'm still not 100% sure about the options I'm planning on choosing
    Which options are for definite and which ones are you stuck on/between?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachy23)
    Just wanted to ask about French coursework as well! I'm in AQA and terrible at listening (get A*s on reading and C's on listening) so do you think it would be possible for me to get an overall A* if I got a C in the listening? My coursework marks are 30/30 in the writing and 29/30 in the speaking (still have to do one more writing and one more speaking) Thanks!
    You'll most probably get 88ish UMS for the speaking and full 90 UMS for the writing. Totalling to 178.

270 (A*) - 178 = 92.

You can get full UMS (60) on reading without acing the paper. Would mean you would have to get about 32 UMS on the listening, which according to June 2014's paper was 22 out of 40 (which roughly equates to a D)

So yeah, more than doable - and June 2014 was a fairly easy paper - 32 UMS on the June 2013 paper was only 14/40 raw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    Coursework... Can it be over yet?
    :mmm: all of my coursework is done now apart from 1 biology ISA and 2 German CAs

Majority of my english class is having to redo coursework though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn-to-page394)
    Which options are for definite and which ones are you stuck on/between?
    I definitely want to do English Lit. I would quite like to do Psychology, Sociology and Politics but I've heard that these subjects are regarded as 'soft', so I've been thinking of replacing one of them with Spanish although I'm not sure which one. I'm fairly good at Spanish but I'm not sure if I would be able to cope with it at A Level. So many decisions

What A Levels are you planning on doing?

ReputationRep:
    You'll most probably get 88ish UMS for the speaking and full 90 UMS for the writing. Totalling to 178.

270 (A*) - 178 = 92.

You can get full UMS (60) on reading without acing the paper. Would mean you would have to get about 32 UMS on the listening, which according to June 2014's paper was 22 out of 40 (which roughly equates to a D)

So yeah, more than doable - and June 2014 was a fairly easy paper - 32 UMS on the June 2013 paper was only 14/40 raw.
    Thank you so much! Little less worried now still going try and improve my listening though

ReputationRep:

270 (A*) - 178 = 92.

Hey dude
    Could you help me with my French Controlled Assessment marks please?

Okay, so I got:

-Speaking 1: Low A
    -Speaking 2: A*
    -Writing 1: A
    - Writing 2: A*

I am also doing one more writing to try boost the grade up to an A*. So, if you took those together and added them all up, what do you think I would need to get to get an A* in the exam? (Btw I'm really good at Reading papers, I usually get A*s in them but listening I usually get A's/B's)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else in the situation where you havent started learning triple science (C3 B3 P3) for AQA yet? We're still doing our ISAs which we'll probably finish mid feb and that leaves us like 3 months to get taught everything. Do you think its doable learning all C3 B3 P3 in just 3 months?

ReputationRep:
    When does everyone's study leave start? Mine starts early May. I'm just scared that I'll screw up my body clock like going to bed at 3 then getting up at 2...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domaths)
    Anyone else in the situation where you havent started learning triple science (C3 B3 P3) for AQA yet? We're still doing our ISAs which we'll probably finish mid feb and that leaves us like 3 months to get taught everything. Do you think its doable learning all C3 B3 P3 in just 3 months?
    Yep! We've done 2 topics of C3 and 1 of B3 and 1 of P3 and currently doing ISAs but my Physics teacher says that we'll be able to finish P3 with time to spare for revision during lessons as well I'm a bit worried about C3 and B3 though :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trihawk7)
    When does everyone's study leave start? Mine starts early May. I'm just scared that I'll screw up my body clock like going to bed at 3 then getting up at 2...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We don't get study leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachy23)
    Yep! We've done 2 topics of C3 and 1 of B3 and 1 of P3 and currently doing ISAs but my Physics teacher says that we'll be able to finish P3 with time to spare for revision during lessons as well I'm a bit worried about C3 and B3 though :/
    Thanks gives me some hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trihawk7)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mine starts on the 1st May. Then after our GCSE's, we have two weeks of work experience and we have to go into school for the last week :mad:

Hmm, maybe try and regulate your body clock before study leave by going to bed an hour earlier each night or something like that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.