Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29591578

This is not going to help the relationship between Rodgers and Hodgson imo..
    Hm. I'm curious as to whether Raheem would have said that. Surely a 19-year-old would be ready to play every game? Doubtful a player of any age would ask to sit out a qualifier either. Not bad for us, though. Glad Henderson, Sterling and Lallana came through the weekend unscathed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Hm. I'm curious as to whether Raheem would have said that. Surely a 19-year-old would be ready to play every game? Doubtful a player of any age would ask to sit out a qualifier either. Not bad for us, though. Glad Henderson, Sterling and Lallana came through the weekend unscathed.
    I doubt he did; more like he was asked to by rodgers.
    It's not good having tension between our club and our country, especially when we have several regular international squad players.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Rodgers told Raheem to say that? Tbf on him he has looked knackered for Liverpool, he has started every single game bar Villa and played an extra 30 against Boro and hasn't been rested since. Rodgers didn't want to rest him for Liverpool games as we have no one else to come on for him that can provide the threat going forward so he probably wanted to use the international break as an opportunity for that. I won't be suprised if Hodgson decides to play Lallana, Hendo, Sturridge and Sterling for 90 minutes for the next international games as pay back though :P

ReputationRep:
    Please say there isn't another intl game?

They've had two this break, that should be enough?

Raheem is a good man. Lallana looked silky against SM, I didn't watch last night.

ReputationRep:
    He might admit he's not feeling 100%
    However very ****ty of Hodgson to make that public as far as I'm concerned.

(Original post by Lúcio)
    It's not good having tension between our club and our country, especially when we have several regular international squad players.
    Yea I'm sure Rodgers said something like "hey, you want to make sure you're fully fit and ready to face Real Madrid at Anfield - it's gonna be a hell of a game"

(Original post by NewSlaves)

Raheem is a good man. Lallana looked silky against SM, I didn't watch last night.
    Nah think that's done. Everyone has a week off before the premier league fixtures next weekend. We play Sunday and then Wednesday. Can't wait!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Who cares the guy is 19 being made to play pointless international fixtures and important international fixtures without rest. Owen's career was killed for this specific reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewSlaves)

There's midweek qualifiers again but that's England done and dusted. E.G Wales and Ireland (probably Scotland too) have a game on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Who cares the guy is 19 being made to play pointless international fixtures and important international fixtures without rest. Owen's career was killed for this specific reason.
    We're likely to have Sturridge, Sterling, Henderson, Lallana playing regularly. Also Lambert perhaps for a few squads and then even the likes of Flanagan in the future.

I think Hodgson knows he need to try and keep Liverpool/Rodgers on side a little bit.

Tbh we should waltz this qualifying group now - only Slovenia away which is a tough game potentially.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Completely agree. What a gaffe.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    This is the first time since about 2001 that we've had such a key part in England's plans.

You've got to say that Johnson, Sterling, Sturridge, Lambert, Lallana AND Henderson will make the majority of squads.

Back in '01 we had Carragher, Murphy, Gerrard, Barmby, Heskey, Owen, Fowler in the squad pretty consistently. Those were the days.

Germany 1-5 Liverpool in Munich.

ReputationRep:

Yea I'm sure Rodgers said something like "hey, you want to make sure you're fully fit and ready to face Real Madrid at Anfield - it's gonna be a hell of a game"
    making it public was a disgrace.
    who gains anything from the media bigging up a rift between liverpool and england?
    i've never liked hodgson; i was underwhelmed when we appointed him, i stayed underwhelmed as he did nothing for our club and i'm still underwhelmed now that he's the manager of my country.

can't even get excited for wednesday since i'm working.
    maybe it's a good thing; maybe i don't want to see our defence up against bale and ronaldo...

(Original post by jam277)
    true, hodgeson takes the piss sometimes but we still need to maintain a decent connection between club and country.
    as the england manager he is simply gonna use the best players he has at his disposal - this is his actual job.

i don't agree with playing high class, important players for stupid friendly games, but i don't think we have much means to complain when it comes to competitive games because the guy is just doing his job as well as he can with the best players he has.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Good to see some ex-players and pundits jumping to Raheem's defence.

ReputationRep:
    Good to see some ex-players and pundits jumping to Raheem's defence.
    Ofcourse they would. He's only 19 and already he is being forced to play so many games and has a huge burden on his shoulders every time he plays. So naturally he'll be tired and he shouldnt be slammed for wanting a rest.

He is England's future, i just hope he doesnt burn out (even if he does play for Liverpool, I'm an England fan first and then a United fan).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pretty disappointing that Hodgson went public with the reason for leaving Sterling out the team. He could have just said he looked tired and Lallana was the better option for the match, then leave it at that. Poor man management, he's only bothered about saving his own bacon and has left Sterling on the receiving end of a media witch-hunt.

ReputationRep:
    This is the first time since about 2001 that we've had such a key part in England's plans.

You've got to say that Johnson, Sterling, Sturridge, Lambert, Lallana AND Henderson will make the majority of squads.

Back in '01 we had Carragher, Murphy, Gerrard, Barmby, Heskey, Owen, Fowler in the squad pretty consistently. Those were the days.

Germany 1-5 Liverpool in Munich.
    Johnson will never make the England squad again. Sterling, Sturridge, Lallana and Henderson are almost certainties for the next 5 years plus though.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone criticising Sterling either doesn't know jack **** about football or just jumping on the bandwagan (most likely both), it was also poor management by Hodgson leaving Sterling to get slaughtered by the media.

ReputationRep:
    I hate Hodgson, his management of Sterling was shocking. The last thing Sterling needs is the media on his arse criticising him for being fatigued. He has such great potential but he needs to be nurtured carefully at this moment in time.

If England are to do well internationally we need a new manager, under Hodgson England will only be average at best...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Johnson will never make the England squad again. Sterling, Sturridge, Lallana and Henderson are almost certainties for the next 5 years plus though.
    Bet you a tenner Johnson is in the next squad.

He actually looked impressive on his return. Fit and fired up Glen Johnson is a very good player. Don't know if he exists anymore and he's been beyond **** for 18 months but he claims it's injury problems, he'll get his chances in the CL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by New Slavess)
    Bet you a tenner Johnson is in the next squad.

He actually looked impressive on his return. Fit and fired up Glen Johnson is a very good player. Don't know if he exists anymore and he's been beyond **** for 18 months but he claims it's injury problems, he'll get his chances in the CL.
    Ronaldo will tear him a new one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    Ronaldo will tear him a new one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, so it's been said since August, I'm not too fussed or scared. We can compete, I think.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.