Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    AOC ought to start imo, he's been very bright for us this season and I do see him as someone who performs under pressure. Quite often against Utd we find ourselves playing without penetration and at least AOC will get behind and stretch. Sanchez works very well with AOC as well since these runs create space for his own. Probs no surprise Alexis has gone off the boil since AOC has been out of the side.

Ramsey as well would be good to have as well for a goal threat and general B2B play .

Personally I would definitely drop Cazorla. I know he's having a great season and I know he was brilliant vs City but if there ever was a man who goes missing in games like this it is Santi, he just doesnt fancy it when the likes of Rooney and Fellaini start throwing themselves around and it really does feel like we're playing with 10 men. Even his passing stats just go through the floor. If not Santi then Ozil must sit it out because we've seen it too many times with those 2 in big games.

Welbeck is tempting because he'll want to do well and because of his defensive game but I think against a Utd team that struggles for fluidity, getting him involved will just turn it into too much of a kick and rush affair and Utd will love that. Sanchez and AOC are good defensive wingers anyway.

Walcott is out in the cold but he'll be useful from the bench 2nd half, he typically does well vs Utd actually.

Bellerin will probably play but he will get murdered on the counter, the kid is a total liability and we really really should go with Chambers at RB given Utd's habit of countering us. Monreal ought to play over Gibbs for the same reason.

Glad Szczesny is playing, he typically comes back focused after being dropped and let's be honest, he is a far better GK than Ospina when his head is together.

Giroud
    Sanchez Ozil AOC
    Ramsey Coquelin
    Monreal Mertesacker Koscielny Chambers
    Szcz

That is a very balanced team well suited to playing cagey away football imo, with solid goal scoring threat but without leaving too many gaps at the back. But I fully expect to see Santi and Bellerin starting and us getting typically done. When will we learn?

If I was Wenger, I would send us out like with blood and thunder like at the Emirates because Utd lack the fluidity to take control of the game, we should be able to pin them back. Aim for the early goal and negate their counter attacking. 1st goal wins the tie imho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Amazing to see how far both teams have fallen in terms of quality compared even to the 2004/2005 squads.
    It's almost as if Russian and Arab oligarchs started pouring money into other sides and strangled the league...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ^ Totally agree with that team selection. Would probably pick Jack ahead of Ramsey if he was fit, I rate him highly in this type of game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_91)
    Is any of the PLs top teams bar City better now than in 2004/5? Granted Arsenal/United have had the biggest fall in quality.

Could argue Liverpool's side last year were much stronger?

ReputationRep:
    I really want to see us play a 4-2-2-2 formation.

Giroud/Welbz-Walcott

Sanchez-Wilshere/Ozil/Cazorla

Ramsey/Caz-Coquelin/Arteta

Monreal-Kos-Mer/Gab-Bellerin/Deb

Ospina

ReputationRep:
    Best Line up would be :

Giroud
    Sanchez Ozil Walcott
    Cazorla Coquelin
    Monreal Mert Kosc Chambers

Don't care if Cazorla isn't a natural B2B and Ramsey's available. Decision making will be crucial in this game and that's something Ramsey really lacks. Cazorla has been a makeshift B2B for us anyway in this half of the season so It can work + the defensive contribution from Sanchez and Coquelin should just about be enough. Hitting on the counter is our best bet this game but I can see Rooney scoring a few jammy goals anyway.

Ramsey and Ox are not big game players. Neither is Sanchez but he tracks back and defends so is still worth having on the pitch. Welbeck can stay Welaway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Could argue Liverpool's side last year were much stronger?
    Possibly, but they had Alonso, Hyypia, Gerrard, Carragher, Dudek in 2005 and they were all better than their 2014 counterparts (Gerrard being in his prime etc).

It's close but Liverpool have probably marginally got better, Chelsea marginally worse, City a million miles better, and Arsenal/United significantly worse...

ReputationRep:
    Every single big game we rationalise Cazorla getting into the team and 99% of the time he flops on an epic scale. The guy's game breaks down, not declines but completely breaks down. Long past the hour of deciding to bench him for the likes of Utd away. City away is literally his only good big game in 3 seasons, on average I'd say he's been about 5/10 in them.

And Ramsey and AOC are big game players, at least by Arsenal standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Every single big game we rationalise Cazorla getting into the team and 99% of the time he flops on an epic scale. The guy's game breaks down, not declines but completely breaks down. Long past the hour of deciding to bench him for the likes of Utd away. City away is literally his only good big game in 3 seasons, on average I'd say he's been about 5/10 in them.

And Ramsey and AOC are big game players, at least by Arsenal standards.

Which isn't very high at all...

Walcott is our big game player. Giroud has stepped up this season and has been our big game player (so far). I've yet to see anything from Ox and Ramsey so what makes you think they're big game players?

Let Cazorla play sort of like a CM, it's what he's been doing a few times this season anyway. I trust him over Ramsey's 40 yard long shots anyday tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Best Line up would be :

Giroud
    Sanchez Ozil Walcott
    Cazorla Coquelin
    Monreal Mert Kosc Chambers

Don't care if Cazorla isn't a natural B2B and Ramsey's available. Decision making will be crucial in this game and that's something Ramsey really lacks. Cazorla has been a makeshift B2B for us anyway in this half of the season so It can work + the defensive contribution from Sanchez and Coquelin should just about be enough. Hitting on the counter is our best bet this game but I can see Rooney scoring a few jammy goals anyway.

Ramsey and Ox are not big game players. Neither is Sanchez but he tracks back and defends so is still worth having on the pitch. Welbeck can stay Welaway
    Both Ramsey and Ox have scored/put massive shifts in, in big games for us, Cazorla has had that one game against City otherwise he has never really performed.

Reckon Giroud might have a good game on Monday, hopefully continue his scoring form.

ReputationRep:
    Both Ramsey and Ox have scored/put massive shifts in, in big games for us, Cazorla has had that one game against City otherwise he has never really performed.

Reckon Giroud might have a good game on Monday, hopefully continue his scoring form.

What has Ramsey and Ox done? Ox had 1 goal and assist to his name before scoring a longshot vs Monaco :s

Also at least Cazorla has been bringing in the numbers recently. Still a more reliable bet.

ReputationRep:
    AOC ought to start imo, he's been very bright for us this season and I do see him as someone who performs under pressure. Quite often against Utd we find ourselves playing without penetration and at least AOC will get behind and stretch. Sanchez works very well with AOC as well since these runs create space for his own. Probs no surprise Alexis has gone off the boil since AOC has been out of the side.

Ramsey as well would be good to have as well for a goal threat and general B2B play .

Personally I would definitely drop Cazorla. I know he's having a great season and I know he was brilliant vs City but if there ever was a man who goes missing in games like this it is Santi, he just doesnt fancy it when the likes of Rooney and Fellaini start throwing themselves around and it really does feel like we're playing with 10 men. Even his passing stats just go through the floor. If not Santi then Ozil must sit it out because we've seen it too many times with those 2 in big games.

Welbeck is tempting because he'll want to do well and because of his defensive game but I think against a Utd team that struggles for fluidity, getting him involved will just turn it into too much of a kick and rush affair and Utd will love that. Sanchez and AOC are good defensive wingers anyway.

Walcott is out in the cold but he'll be useful from the bench 2nd half, he typically does well vs Utd actually.

Bellerin will probably play but he will get murdered on the counter, the kid is a total liability and we really really should go with Chambers at RB given Utd's habit of countering us. Monreal ought to play over Gibbs for the same reason.

Glad Szczesny is playing, he typically comes back focused after being dropped and let's be honest, he is a far better GK than Ospina when his head is together.

Giroud
    Sanchez Ozil AOC
    Ramsey Coquelin
    Monreal Mertesacker Koscielny Chambers
    Szcz

That is a very balanced team well suited to playing cagey away football imo, with solid goal scoring threat but without leaving too many gaps at the back. But I fully expect to see Santi and Bellerin starting and us getting typically done. When will we learn?

If I was Wenger, I would send us out like with blood and thunder like at the Emirates because Utd lack the fluidity to take control of the game, we should be able to pin them back. Aim for the early goal and negate their counter attacking. 1st goal wins the tie imho.
    I wouldn't play Chambers he is too slow to play RB look what happened against Swansea, Chelsea and Anderlecht, he was terrible. Bellerin is better he's got the pace we need in that position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    What has Ramsey and Ox done? Ox had 1 goal and assist to his name before scoring a longshot vs Monaco :s
    Off the top of my head AOC has had huge performances vs AC Milan, Bayern, Liverpool in the cup, Ramsey has against BVB, Utd, City, Liverpool, the cup final etc.

Ramsey even if he's not at his most fluid will keep fighting and chasing whilst AOC always asks questions of defences. He's a very proactive player.

AOC has had a brilliant season btw, not sure what youve been watching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)

Also at least Cazorla has been bringing in the numbers recently. Still a more reliable bet.
    Ox brings to mind the games against Bayern, where he put a massive shift in. Ramsey has scored against United before too...

Our best big game player is definitely Walcott though, he's scored quite a few times against City, United and Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    I wouldn't play Chambers he is too slow to play RB look what happened against Swansea, Chelsea and Anderlecht, he was terrible. Bellerin is better he's got the pace we need in that position.
    But Bellerin plays as an advanced winger, literally, for huge portions of the game. Chambers lacks pace of course but at least he actually, you know, maintains discipline and attempts to prevent counters. Stick AOC in front of Chambers I guess, he is decent defensively and quick.

ReputationRep:
    Off the top of my head AOC has had huge performances vs AC Milan, Bayern, Liverpool in the cup, Ramsey has against BVB, Utd, City, Liverpool, the cup final etc.

Ramsey even if he's not at his most fluid will keep fighting and chasing whilst AOC always asks questions of defences. He's a very proactive player.

AOC has had a brilliant season btw, not sure what youve been watching.
    Ox brings to mind the games against Bayern, where he put a massive shift in. Ramsey has scored against United before too...

Our best big game player is definitely Walcott though, he's scored quite a few times against City, United and Chelsea.

None of those games were this season. Arguable but I'd say Ox's last season was stronger than his current. He's had a few strong performances and showed lots of signs of potential but I just don't think Ox is ready. Perhaps Ramsey is a big game player but that's based on his form last season, which he is miles off currently. Only game that comes to mind is Galatasary where he really shined but that wasn't exactly a big game?

It's funny really, when Ox was starting every game first half of the season we were crying out for Walcott to return. Immediately after Walcott and Ozil's return we start scoring more goals and grind points a lot more easier, but people want Ox back already? I wouldn't say he's had a brilliant season. 50/50 at most.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone realised we struggle to keep possession ever since Arteta has been out?

ReputationRep:
    In terms of big game bottlers, our perpetual let downs are: Cazorla, Gibbs, Ozil, Mertesacker and until recently Giroud(jury still out). You might include Sanchez but he gets double marked often and has shown against the likes of City that he's capable.

Youve then got the likes of Koscielny, Arteta, Ramsey who individually play roughly at the same level but find themselves surrounded by bottlers and hence suffer a decline too.

Walcott and Wilshere are the only 2 that come to mind for embracing the big occasion with the likes of AOC and Rosicky generally decent in big games too. I would say Welbeck is probably a big game guy as well, since his work rate and defensive traits are more useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    Anyone realised we struggle to keep possession ever since Arteta has been out?
    Mentioned this a few times that our weakness was ball distribution :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If the Man Utd thread doesn't have lengthy discussions about the upcoming game then clearly their fans are so full of confidence, they could ask their players to wear blindfolds for the full 90 minutes and Utd would still win

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.