Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guys which sections on the actual UKCAT are easier/ harder than the Medify sections and the 600 isci Question book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayeshforce1)
    Guys which sections on the actual UKCAT are easier/ harder than the Medify sections and the 600 isci Question book?
    I sat the UKCAT last year. I think that 600 book is BS for QR its WAY easier in actual exam, same can be said about AR tbh. Verbal is harder in the exam than the book.

Medify is golden.....id say its pretty representative!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    That's because the overall average that year was pretty high. Pretty sure the average for DA was like 700+ which is unusually high, so their competitive score went up as a result. Also they've said people below that score have been offered interviews before so it's still worth a shot for anyone who's worried IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah okay I did not know that, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    Don't worry one bit about the maths from mock A. I sat the UKCAT last year and achieved similar scores in official mocks like 500 and got 750 in QR for the actual exam. Medify and Kaplan are most representative for QR 100%.
    But WOW 800 in VR?!?!?! HOW?!?!? i can't even get above 550! what technique did you use and how did you prepare?
    Ah okay that is good to hear! Hopefully I can make that improvement too, was getting in the 700s on medify so who knows honestly I don't know, VR has always been my strong suit, I got 750 in the first ever times practice I did. I would just say never ever read the passage in full, and with the wordy comprehension questions eliminate obviously wrong answers in your head first so you only really have two to scan for and it's quite quick from there

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please tell me whether you have to get a certain score in each section of the UKCAT, or whether it is the total score you get overall (from scores in all sections added together or whatever they do) that matters? I have mine in 3 weeks and im panicking about the QR section, im ok in all other sections but no matter how much i study i dont think i will do very well in this section. Im hoping its the total score that matters not score from each section, but i cant seem to find info about this anywhere online

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I did my ukcat yesterday and got:
    VR- 640
    QA- 680
    AR- 750
    Average- 690
    SJT- Band 1
    My stats are:
    S4; AAAAAAA ( National 5 Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Modern Studies, German, Acoounting) and a B in National 5 English
    S5: AAAAB ( Higher Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography and a B in Higher Modern Studies)
    S6: AAA ( Advanced Higher Chemistry, Advanced Higher Biology, Higher Psychology
    4 weeks of work experience.
    First Aider
    1 year volunteering at children's charity.
    Gold d of e award etc
    Any advice of which universities I should apply to with these stats. I was thinking Dundee, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Liverpool. Any advice would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm an international student currently studying Biomedical Sciences at York. I'm looking to applying for the 5 year undergraduate medicine course this October (there are very few graduate programmes with places for international students). I'm hoping that someone in a similar position as me would be able to suggest what medical schools to avoid with my UKCAT score - as my VR score is very low and also what medical schools I should apply to. I've also included a brief summary of my academic background below.

UKCAT - Average 740
    VR 480 (Yes I know this is terrible, I don't know what happened I just weren't taking anything in from the passages on the day I guess - I was averaging 600s in mocks)
    QR 850
    AR 890
    SJT Band 1

GCSEs - 5A* 6A 4B
    A Level - AABA (B in Chemistry; one of the As is in Chinese which I doubt will count towards my application) + AS Level B in Economics
    BSc Biomedical Sciences: Averaging 2:1 at the moment but should graduate with a first class degree, if not a high 2:1
    Work Experience: I've volunteered in various departments in different hospitals over the last 4 summers, taught English to underprivileged children in Hong Kong, also a volunteer for a listening/counselling service.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    I sat the UKCAT last year. I think that 600 book is BS for QR its WAY easier in actual exam, same can be said about AR tbh. Verbal is harder in the exam than the book.

Medify is golden.....id say its pretty representative!
    How accurate were the Medify Mocks? I'm struggling with VR and QR, and I was wondering how long the VR passages are?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else find that the AR patterns in the 1000q book are impossible to find after #70?? I swear like most of the patterns have 5 different characteristics lol, completely done with this book now. I've probably gotten like 4 questions right between 70-100 and they were all guesses

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I did the KAPLAN course and they give you loads of practise tests and atm im averaging at 1800 with my test on the 13th September but I also bought the 1000 UKCAT questions book and these questions are so much harder than the ones on kaplan. Which one is closer to the real thing if anyone has done both and has already done the test? Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    how did people find medify mock 1? VR and AR were quite decent but I always seem to find QR has a lot of questions where many calculations are needed without the opportunity to estimate - like 2, 8 digit averages leading into a percentage change. is this what can be expected for the real exam?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mithi98)
    Hi everyone! My exam is next week I was wondering how easier/harder is the real thing than the official mocks that are on the UKCAT website? and what about the Kaplan mocks? I'm getting around 700 on the official ones and 750 on the Kaplan ones...

Thanks in advance!
    How many weeks did you revise for?

ReputationRep:
    HI Guys! Has anyone done medify mock 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    Attachment 577296
    Hope this helps
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if UKCAT ninja is good to use? Is it representative to the real thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoemccarthy34)
    Hey guys I did the KAPLAN course and they give you loads of practise tests and atm im averaging at 1800 with my test on the 13th September but I also bought the 1000 UKCAT questions book and these questions are so much harder than the ones on kaplan. Which one is closer to the real thing if anyone has done both and has already done the test? Thanks so much
    The book is nothing like the real thing, personally. I took mine last year and the patterns were way easier there than in that book. I remember because I'd struggle to find patterns, so don't worry c:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4nonymous)
    Anyone know if UKCAT ninja is good to use? Is it representative to the real thing?

I did some abstract reasoning Qs on it, and the difficulty was similar to medify ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ib_hopeful)
    How did it go?
    Well, despite all my worries, having done the test yesterday I am very pleased with my result: TOTAL: 2110 703.33 Average- Band 2 VR-740 QR-720 AR-650 Could anyone give me any advice for good unis to apply to in 2017? I would say that I definitely found medify mocks and official UKCAT mocks more difficult than the real thing. Provided you have practiced it should be fine. The thing I cannot stress enough is FLAG, GUESS, MOVE ON. Getting bogged down in the first few questions of a section only leads downhill. If you run into a challenging question, guess and flag it for the end.

Hope you did well too, IbHopeful!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dwightkurtshrute)
    Well, despite all my worries, having done the test yesterday I am very pleased with my result: TOTAL: 2110 703.33 Average- Band 2 VR-740 QR-720 AR-650 Could anyone give me any advice for good unis to apply to in 2017? I would say that I definitely found medify mocks and official UKCAT mocks more difficult than the real thing. Provided you have practiced it should be fine. The thing I cannot stress enough is FLAG, GUESS, MOVE ON. Getting bogged down in the first few questions of a section only leads downhill. If you run into a challenging question, guess and flag it for the end.

Hope you did well too, IbHopeful!!!!!!
    Congrats, great score. Would you say the VR in the exam was of similar difficulty to VR on medify/ukcat website?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ASTK98;67361582]Congrats, great score. Would you say the VR in the exam was of similar difficulty to VR on medify/ukcat website?
    I think possibly I found the passages a little easier to scan read than on medify. Although I definitely used my time better in the real exam. Flagging and guessing is a good technique when you are unsure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.