The Official Cambridge Offer Holders Thread 2016 Entry MK II

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    You NatScis are so nice! I had an extensive discussion with samb1234 yesterday and it's gotten me excited to apply!

Hahahaha I'm sure Zacken and physicsmaths can relate as well. :rofl: Zacken was the closest amongst us, missing it by 5 UMS. :cry:
    5 UMS, that's crazy! 😰 I really want to know what happened with the papers now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    You NatScis are so nice! I had an extensive discussion with samb1234 yesterday and it's gotten me excited to apply!

Hahahaha I'm sure Zacken and physicsmaths can relate as well. :rofl: Zacken was the closest amongst us, missing it by 5 UMS. :cry:
    I was proper close aswell, missed it by 35 UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    29 UMS - lol at me thinking I only dropped max 10 marks in each of the papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsIP2016)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which papers are these?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Which papers are these?
    Edexcel Physics - Units 4 and 5. In my school everyone who was on track for an A* achieved an A which confused us a lot

ReputationRep:
    How long does it take track to update after being taken from the pool?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel Physics - Units 4 and 5. In my school everyone who was on track for an A* achieved an A which confused us a lot
    Oh yea, same with me! I somehow got a B in my unit 5 taking me down from A* to A overall. Don't know anyone with an A* overall

ReputationRep:
    Lol i could well get addicted to stocking up on H pencils but I'm planning on buying stuff there cus i thought it would be a little cheaper. Also saves carrying it all up with me
    Things are not any cheaper in Cambridge, I'm afraid. Not in the town anyway. Unfortunately Cambridge is not a cheap place to live, retail price-wise.
    There's a branch of Staples just out of town centre and maybe a few discount shop in Grafton Centre (near Anglia Ruskin) and a few larger scale discount shop away from the town, I think, but not sure the amount of money you can save on stationary is worth the travelling time. You'll be very, very busy once you get to Cambridge, even before the term starts properly.
    But yes, it does save carrying it all up.

ReputationRep:
    I thought i got 75/80 in U4
    My U5 was one mark lower then expected after looking at the MS but U4 was shocking tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Things are not any cheaper in Cambridge, I'm afraid. Not in the town anyway. Unfortunately Cambridge is not a cheap place to live, retail price-wise.
    There's a branch of Staples just out of town centre and maybe a few discount shop in Grafton Centre (near Anglia Ruskin) and a few larger scale discount shop away from the town, I think, but not sure the amount of money you can save on stationary is worth the travelling time. You'll be very, very busy once you get to Cambridge, even before the term starts properly.
    But yes, it does save carrying it all up.
    Ah ok thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok thanks!
    Try to get as many things you think you'll need as possible before you come to Cambridge. It'll make your life much easier when you start the most hectic and possibly most stressful few years in your life in an unfamiliar place!

Edit:
    Porters will hate me for suggesting this, but one thing you can do AFTER you arrived in Cambridge and settled in is order things online and have them delivered to your college. Probably that's the easiest way to buy something cheap in bulk. (as long as they don't charge too much on P&P....)

ReputationRep:
    I thought i got 75/80 in U4
    My U5 was one mark lower then expected after looking at the MS but U4 was shocking tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was 1 mark off an A in Unit 4 and 7 marks off an A in unit 5, so I literally have no clue what went wrong. I knew unit 5 was worse but not that bad! Oh well, UMS is only really useful when they accept people, once you get to uni I don't think they really care that much. Nailed that 100% in coursework tho 😂

ReputationRep:
    Oh yea, same with me! I somehow got a B in my unit 5 taking me down from A* to A overall. Don't know anyone with an A* overall
    Student403 got an A* but that's pretty much it as far as I'm aware!
    I got a high B in U4, a low B in U5 and full marks in the coursework, but I cannot think of how on earth that happened when I revised so hard for it :-/

ReputationRep:
    What's everyone doing with regards to buying a bike? Getting one before you go and taking it down or just buying one in Cambridge when you get there?

ReputationRep:
    I was 1 mark off an A in Unit 4 and 7 marks off an A in unit 5, so I literally have no clue what went wrong. I knew unit 5 was worse but not that bad! Oh well, UMS is only really useful when they accept people, once you get to uni I don't think they really care that much. Nailed that 100% in coursework tho 😂
    Oh but I was happy i got 96/120 in U4 as it is my first ever A in a physics exam loll.
    Better then my 50/120 in U5 last year.....
    Yeh I don't really care tho since my UMS wheb applying was high 70s now it is even lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizbox)
    What's everyone doing with regards to buying a bike? Getting one before you go and taking it down or just buying one in Cambridge when you get there?
    AFAIK, buying one during the first few weeks of term is expensive because of high demand there. Cheaper to buy one before and bring it up, although not much choice for internationals.

ReputationRep:
    Oh but I was happy i got 96/120 in U4 as it is my first ever A in a physics exam loll.
    Better then my 50/120 in U5 last year.....
    Yeh I don't really care tho since my UMS wheb applying was high 70s now it is even lower.
    Ah nice, beat me by 1 mark! 😂
    Edexcel can go do one lol

ReputationRep:
    5 UMS, that's crazy! 😰 I really want to know what happened with the papers now...
    Edexcel Physics lyfe. Would not do again 0/10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizbox)
    Whatever you do, get an old, knackered one, nothing new at all. Pick the oldest, dullest, most battered looking bike you can and get it well serviced and buy a mahoosive lock! That way you minimise the chance of getting it nicked!

There will be a lot of competition to buy a bike once you get to Cam - most of the overseas students will want to by on arrival. There are quite a few places to buy a second hand bike, but sales will be crazy in the first couple of weeks, so if you can bring one, that's probably easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    AFAIK, buying one during the first few weeks of term is expensive because of high demand there. Cheaper to buy one before and bring it up, although not much choice for internationals.
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Whatever you do, get an old, knackered one, nothing new at all. Pick the oldest, dullest, most battered looking bike you can and get it well serviced and buy a mahoosive lock! That way you minimise the chance of getting it nicked!

There will be a lot of competition to buy a bike once you get to Cam - most of the overseas students will want to by on arrival. There are quite a few places to buy a second hand bike, but sales will be crazy in the first couple of weeks, so if you can bring one, that's probably easier.
    Thanks guys I'll start looking for a dilapidated bike now then haha

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.