Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Rep for some local UCLH knowledge....

Spoiler:
    Show

Where are the hospital entrances? Can't find a decent site map online.

Euston Square then Warren Street look like the closest tubes - are they actually?
    & if you Piccadillyed it to Russell Square - would you have to walk round or is there a back way in?
    The hospital entrances are on Euston Road and theres a back entrance off Gower street around the back of the medical school - Cruciform (big red cross shaped building)

Euston square is very close - you cross the road and walk around a corner to get to the Euston Rd entrance, Warren St is slightly further away, a few minutes max, you walk up university St past the Cruciform, circle slightly to go through the back entrance. Both of these are within 5 minutes, easily. Russel SQ is in the other direction and so about 10-15 minutes away, which is pointless, I would in that case get off at Euston proper and cross the road, pass the Welcomme through a small square where the Quakers Friends House is, then you turn right walking straight and should see one of the entrances, if you get lost, head toward the massive unmissable red building, the back entrance is around the corner.

Don't go into the lower building that looks like the back entrance - that is the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson (maternity wing) - you can get through to the main hospital through it, but it requires basement navigation which is easy to get lost in if you don't know where you're going, and you need access badges to get through the door. There is no normal throughfare as far as I know. - The UCLH back entrance is a circle revolving door the EGA is a normal door. Simples.

Yes, I'm based at UCH, I usually go through Warren St coming from Kentish Town, but Euston station dosn't make much difference, you'd still be there within about 5 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    The hospital entrances are...
    Thank you!

May or may not have access badges when I need to go there... :ninjagirl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Thank you!

I see :cool:

Be warned, canteens not great though - limited space and no staff bit, although the views out from the tower are fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    I see :cool:

Be warned, canteens not great though - limited space and no staff bit, although the views out from the tower are fantastic.
    What BSc are you going to be doing? I hope you chose well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Thank you!

oh sorry from Euston you go through quaker house first and then past the welcomme and the union should be to your left theres usually a crowd in the morning heading for that direction. If you come from Warren St then exit turn right , walk up to where the subway is, then cross the road and keep going up, that takes you to the cruciform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    What BSc are you going to be doing? I hope you chose well

I have an offer to do neuroscience at ucl, provided I pass the year at first attempt.

ReputationRep:
    I get to do the very last OCSE of the day at 16:15, so no post-exams pub lunch for me.

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer to do neuroscience at ucl, provided I pass the year at first attempt.
    Ah neuroscience - so you're a sucker for punishment I see :p:.

Well if it floats your boat, enjoy it man.

ReputationRep:
    4 weeks to learn 13 weeks of lectures. Possible?

I'm ****ed. I HATE IMMUNOLOGY.

ReputationRep:
    2 weeks to learn 12 weeks of lectures. Luckily I quite like endocrine/cardio+resp+renal so not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    Just over a week to go till F-DAY (...finals) and 6 years of medical school "knowledge" has gone out of the window. It's gone, dunno where, but it's gone. Scraping through every year is going to be bite me in the ass this year, just know it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)

You can do loads in four weeks. That's a long time.

ReputationRep:
    never mind results.. it's the championship final on monday. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3068772 does anyone have access?

I hate this write up more and more. I have bursts of inspiration and then hit another wall. So depressing.

4weeks for 13 is plenty. I did a years worth in 6...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)

It most certainly is.

We've had two weeks study leave to learn/revise everything from year two (and year one thoeretically as they can still throw that into end of year exams). Now that's messed up. :/

Last year, the second years only had one week! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    It most certainly is.

We've had two weeks study leave to learn/revise everything from year two (and year one thoeretically as they can still throw that into end of year exams). Now that's messed up. :/

Last year, the second years only had one week! :eek:
    Try having a FIFTY THREE week academic year which includes 1 week for christmas, easter long weekend and 1 other week as the only time off and 4 days between last day of firms and first exam which actually starts after everyone else in the medical school/university has finished for the year.

....Then coming back two weeks later to start final year firms.

Soul destroying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PineBarrens)
    Try having a FIFTY THREE week academic year which includes 1 week for christmas, easter long weekend and 1 other week as the only time off and 4 days between last day of firms and first exam which actually starts after everyone else in the medical school/university has finished for the year.

Soul destroying
    Er, you win! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PineBarrens)

Soul destroying
    This is imperial right?

Maybe it will be better by the time I get there...

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know it's already been changed.....though it took a GMC "recommendation" for it to happen.

Finals are also being moved to March which means having to resit won't mean losing your job.

ReputationRep:
    Have you figured this out yet?

(Original post by Medicine Man)
    I'm probably being a bit thick here but with deep brain stimulation, do you stimulate or depress the subthalamic nucleus? It involves using a depolarising block which stimulates the STN, but surely stimulating the STN as the name of the procedure suggests means you're infact stimulating the GPi and thus inhibiting the ventral thalamus and subsequently the motor cortex from executing movements, which isn't what you want? Or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick? :p:

Can anyone explain it to me please?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.