Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know we're getting a great deal and everything... But puma kits are fugly. Oh well, could be worse, could be Liverpool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    I know we're getting a great deal and everything... But puma kits are fugly. Oh well, could be worse, could be Liverpool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    nah mate! Puma made the dortmund kits this year and they were beautiful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    So true

ReputationRep:
    Same as the Italy kits right? Yeah I had a feeling it was just my personal taste... I mean I will probably end up liking it.

Edit: also I gotta say it suits black and yellow far better than it would suit red and white

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)
    I agree about Crystal Palace, Zaha going to Man Utd means they'll have lost their stand-out player and will need to find a sufficient replacement. That being said, they did get a decent fee for him so depends how they spend their money I guess. Would've been nice if Watford won the play-off spot just so Almunia & Zola were back in the PL though

I'm not remotely interested in Hull, expecting them to go back down tbh. Cardiff are a side that intrigue me, seeing a new Welsh derby in the top flight will be interesting. They've pretty much changed their identity over the couple of years and their owners have invested into a new stadium and improving the club rather than just the team like QPR have. They seem like a bit of a sugar daddy club but judging from their Wiki page for next season they'll be playing players from their academy as well.
    I agree with Hull going straight back down and as far as I'm concerned Hughes going to Stoke is suicide for them. Cardiff is the strongest of the new 3 so I'd give them the nod for survival. All 8 games v's these teams really should net us 24 points but I wouldn't grudge 22/24 too much if we had a bum day away at Cardiff.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any chance rafa will let Insigne go???

Looks a top talent

ReputationRep:
    In what way do you reckon they're similar. You always make decent posts and so I'd be interested to hear. To me apart from the fact that neither is quickest out of the blocks the similarity ends. TA was much more physical, and had a much better leap on him, and so never got bullied in the air the way the BFG sometimes does. Also in his time under Wenger really developed as a footballer and could hit some sweet passes. Also scored a fair amount of goals as well.

The premier league centre back I reckon that has the most in common with Tone is unfortunately John Terry. I loathe JT but respect him a lot as a player. Both were defenders who never relied on pace - they relied on their physical strength and ability to organise and marshall a defence well. Terry also scores a fair few goals. Also they have parallels as one club men. Tony Adams is Mr Arsenal, and JT classless **** that he is, is probably suited to be Mr Chelski. I remember the summer before abramovic came, how all the transfer chat that summer was Terry to Arsenal as Adam's replacement. Clearly even the Arsenal scouts, board and Wenger saw the similarities even then.

Not saying I don't rate Mertesacker. I do, but I think Tony Adams was cut from a far superior cloth in his playing days.
    Don't get me wrong, Tony Adams goes down in Arsenal history as one of the best defenders we've ever had, not to mention the most commtted. TA is (ironically) head and shoulders in terms of quality but in my eyes they do have similarities.

Firstly is the obvious thing that Tony wasn't the quickest CB the world's ever seen, and neither is Mert. Remember, Mertesacker has had to adopt to a league where you've got speed merchant's like Lennon always looking to outrun you. Bundesliga doesn't have as many players like that, so he's in my eyes ver intelligent to learn how to get the better of pacy players. Adams retired a bit later than most, and I think Per will be the same. It's always those who are the most intelligent who stay in the game the longest.

Also, Mertesacker has been one of our most consistent performers this season, 7/10 minimum most games. I know Koscielny stole the show at the end but Per was there throughout. For example, I remember about 3 of his mistakes (most glaring was the Spurs where he let Bale onside) only because he rarely makes mistakes as much as your average defender does. And where he did make that mistake, he strived to be a better player for it, hence why our defensive record in the last ten games was so good.
    Compare this to Adams - again, always very consistent and when he played well it spread a confidence to the rest of the back four. To me, they just both give off an aura of determination and absolute confidence that is great to watch.
    People will say Adams was more commanding, more of a leader, and they're right. But think - mertesacker has only been with us two years, and this season he has been shouting orders a lot more, screaming at people in defence, looking around to check everyone's where they should be (unlike a belgian cb i know). That takes balls to do in just you second season at a club in transition where you're not even guaranteed a place in the starting line-up every week. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves because he's basically a brick wall on his good day - no last ditch tackles but just does a very efficient job. Tony also had the brick-wall style of play (well, among other things, but I don't think we'll ever have another defender who was on Tony's level).

Agreed about the passing thing - however, and I don't know how to describe this - do you ever see Per when he's on the ball, just look up at someone like walcott about 50 yards away and you can see him thinking that'd be the perfect pass...and then he turns sideways and passed it to Arteta. Don't know how to describe it but he always looks up at one of our forward men like he wants to swing a hollywood pass to them but chooses not to.

Now this is quite interesting as well (off arsenal.com when Per first joined)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Per Mertesacker has spoken of his long-standing admiration for Club legend Tony Adams as he prepares to make his Arsenal debut against Swansea at the weekend.

The new signing, who moved to Emirates Stadium from Werder Bremen on transfer deadline day, has been a Gooner since buying a shirt at the age of ten and says the former captain is “a special one”.

Mertesacker is in line to don the Arsenal red and white for the first time on Saturday and admits he always looked up to Adams when growing up in Germany.

“We didn’t get many pictures of him on the television but Adams was a legend here,” he told Arsenal.com. “He is a special one for me. 

“When I was looking at English football I always looked to Arsenal and he was one of the great defenders when I was ten or 12 years old. I knew he was the centre-half for Arsenal.

“I like the players [like Adams] very much - I have enjoyed seeing them over the years. I hope I can improve my performances here and get better and better - I want to be useful for the team."

And from Wenger when we bought him:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "He is a little bit like that (Adams)," said Wenger. "Not the quickest but he uses his brain well. Mertesacker is getting stronger in every single game. He is getting more aggressive. I like him personally. He's a very intelligent player and will be a big asset for us.

"I think Mertesacker can be a talker. Trust the Germans, he is a fighter. I am happy with what I see from him."
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    (Original post by rhw)
    I agree about Crystal Palace, Zaha going to Man Utd means they'll have lost their stand-out player and will need to find a sufficient replacement. That being said, they did get a decent fee for him so depends how they spend their money I guess. Would've been nice if Watford won the play-off spot just so Almunia & Zola were back in the PL though

I'm not remotely interested in Hull, expecting them to go back down tbh. Cardiff are a side that intrigue me, seeing a new Welsh derby in the top flight will be interesting. They've pretty much changed their identity over the couple of years and their owners have invested into a new stadium and improving the club rather than just the team like QPR have. They seem like a bit of a sugar daddy club but judging from their Wiki page for next season they'll be playing players from their academy as well.
    Yeah i totally agree with u especially about Cardiff, I think Cardiff city is a bit of a dark horse, obviously they won't win the prem but they could prove an obstacle for a lot of teams tbh. (except Arsenal of course )
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    I know you've all heard this before but...just believe it will happen!!....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/higua-n...162300522.html

ReputationRep:
    Our Puma kits are going to be sickkkk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    I know you've all heard this before but...just believe it will happen!!....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/higua-n...162300522.html
    I also saw an article earlier today, with Higuain's brother suggesting that the Metro article was rubbish and made-up basically...

But I'm with you, I really hope this one happens

ReputationRep:
    ......... Alaba!! **** sky for even putting this possibility in my head. Destined for disappointment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    ......... Alaba!! **** sky for even putting this possibility in my head. Destined for disappointment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lool, that's never going to happen. At Bayern he is currently playing that the best team in the world, is an undisputed starter in his current position with the potential to be the best LB in the world. Although we can offer him the opportunity to play in his favoured position (central midfield), I just can't see that being enough to lure him away from Munich.

Even if somehow Bayern were willing to let him go, he wouldn't be cheap - £20million + at the very minimum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    Lool, that's never going to happen. At Bayern he is currently playing that the best team in the world, is an undisputed starter in his current position with the potential to be the best LB in the world. Although we can offer him the opportunity to play in his favoured position (central midfield), I just can't see that being enough to lure him away from Munich.

Even if somehow Bayern were willing to let him go, he wouldn't be cheap - £20million + at the very minimum.
    How has he not proved himself to be the best left back in the world already???

I mean ashley cole is up there but not the ashley of 4 years ago and Jordi alba well I wont comment on his defensive capabilities.

Please do not tell me you think Gibbs is the best

ReputationRep:
    Ashley cole still the best for me. Give alaba time and I think he'll surpass cole.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)

I know right... and Sky said we bid £10m... Hahaha, see no one can say Wenger doesn't have a sense of humour...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just realised Mark shwarzer (or w/e it is) is a free agent, hes 40 so good be a "mentor" as they say to schezny for a season or 2

really dont like the idea of spending anything above 5mill on a goalie unless they're out of this world

ReputationRep:
    http://www.givemesport.com/350053-pr...enal-champions

WE WOULD BE CHAMPIONS IF WE WEREN'T SO ERROR PRONE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    How has he not proved himself to be the best left back in the world already???

I mean ashley cole is up there but not the ashley of 4 years ago and Jordi alba well I wont comment on his defensive capabilities.

Please do not tell me you think Gibbs is the best
    He is up there top 2/3 but at this moment in time I still rate Cole as the best in the world.

Loool, na obviously I don't rate Gibbs as the best but I do rate him very highly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sacheeen)
    http://www.givemesport.com/350053-pr...enal-champions

WE WOULD BE CHAMPIONS IF WE WEREN'T SO ERROR PRONE!
    Cant look back at things like that, there was a league with all the shots that hit the post counting as goals and we would have came like 7th with liverpoo in 3rd. You cant really complain over the course of 38 games can you

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.