Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Top tips after i sat the exam:

1) I panicked for 10 minutes at the start of verbal reasoning - mainly down to nerves. This might of been because i arrived early, thinking i could just wait in reception for a little bit to calm myself down. However, i ended up being dragged in 30 minutes early - this threw me quite a bit. So first of all, make sure you mentally prepare yourself for the exam (Do some vr practice right before etc). Stay calm, you'll do great. Don't go in till you're ready.
    2) For verbal reasoning, the questions weren't as hard as the ones on the mocks. However, the passages were slightly longer. Make sure you practice skim reading! If you see a passage looks long/complicated and the questions look hard immediately flag and move on - you can come back to it later!
    3) The data is quantitative reasoning is much more simple and easier to understand than those found in the mocks or on medify. The only thing is that the calculations often involve multiple steps. Make sure you use the numpad to operate the keyboard to speed yourself up!
    4) Alt+C to open the calculator. Ctrl+N for Next Questions. Ctrl+P for previous questions. Ctrl+F to flag. These speed things up a heck of a lot! You can easily gain an extra 30 seconds on each section just by using these!
    5) For abstract reasoning, practice makes perfect. Some patterns are very simple, and some are more complicated. I recommend you write down any patterns you missed during practice and read them out once a day.
    6) Some mouses at the exam centres can be 'sticky'. If they are, just pick it up and wipe the bottom with your hand - should make the mouse much more accurate.
    7) Remember, TSR is in no way representative of the rest of the country. Don't be demoralised by the +700 scores. Only the top 15% of candidates get scores these high - getting an average score is good enough for most unis (Apart from the UKCAT heavy ones - of which there are about 7-8).
    8) I'm not sure if all pearson centres are the same, but you are essentially sitting in a room full of about 10-15 computers divided by panels. It isn't like being in a box, but you can't see the person next to you. Earplugs and headphones are provided - there was a noisy AC unit at my centre, so i put the earplugs in.
    9) The text in verbal reasoning is not a text document, but an image of the text. This means you can't highlight passages by left clicking and dragging over the text. If you were scan reading like this, stop now! Also, you can't zoom in using ctrl+><.

Good luck everyone, you'll do great!

ReputationRep:
    what do u think the average will be this year? any guesses? want to know where i stand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrisonGCSE)

1) I panicked for 10 minutes at the start of verbal reasoning - mainly down to nerves. This might of been because i arrived early, thinking i could just wait in reception for a little bit to calm myself down. However, i ended up being dragged in 30 minutes early - this threw me quite a bit. So first of all, make sure you mentally prepare yourself for the exam (Do some vr practice right before etc). Stay calm, you'll do great. Don't go in till you're ready.
    2) For verbal reasoning, the questions weren't as hard as the ones on the mocks. However, the passages were slightly longer. Make sure you practice skim reading! If you see a passage looks long/complicated and the questions look hard immediately flag and move on - you can come back to it later!
    3) The data is quantitative reasoning is much more simple and easier to understand than those found in the mocks or on medify. The only thing is that the calculations often involve multiple steps. Make sure you use the numpad to operate the keyboard to speed yourself up!
    4) Alt+C to open the calculator. Ctrl+N for Next Questions. Ctrl+P for previous questions. Ctrl+F to flag. These speed things up a heck of a lot! You can easily gain an extra 30 seconds on each section just by using these!
    5) For abstract reasoning, practice makes perfect. Some patterns are very simple, and some are more complicated. I recommend you write down any patterns you missed during practice and read them out once a day.
    6) Some mouses at the exam centres can be 'sticky'. If they are, just pick it up and wipe the bottom with your hand - should make the mouse much more accurate.
    7) Remember, TSR is in no way representative of the rest of the country. Don't be demoralised by the +700 scores. Only the top 15% of candidates get scores these high - getting an average score is good enough for most unis (Apart from the UKCAT heavy ones - of which there are about 7-8).
    8) I'm not sure if all pearson centres are the same, but you are essentially sitting in a room full of about 10-15 computers divided by panels. It isn't like being in a box, but you can't see the person next to you. Earplugs and headphones are provided - there was a noisy AC unit at my centre, so i put the earplugs in.
    9) The text in verbal reasoning is not a text document, but an image of the text. This means you can't highlight passages by left clicking and dragging over the text. If you were scan reading like this, stop now! Also, you can't zoom in using ctrl+><.

when you said use the numpad on the keyboard, do you have to enable it first by clicking numlock?

ReputationRep:

This is really helpful. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    did anyone bother with decision analysis ?

ReputationRep:

Thank you for these!

ReputationRep:

Thank you, thats really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    what do u think the average will be this year? any guesses? want to know where i stand
    theres literally no way of predicting it. If I had to guess I'd say probably lower than last year because DA isn't there to pull people's score up but I could be wrong

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm struggling to get the right technique for VR.. Especially for the comprehension questions, do people first read the whole passage then look at the questions ? if yes, how much time do you spend on reading it. or do people just go straight onto the questions then try to scan the passage for the right answer ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subash)
    Hi guys, I'm struggling to get the right technique for VR.. Especially for the comprehension questions, do people first read the whole passage then look at the questions ? if yes, how much time do you spend on reading it. or do people just go straight onto the questions then try to scan the passage for the right answer ?
    Never ever read the passage first, it's a major waste of time. Best technique to use is looking for a key word(s) in the question and scanning for it/them in the passage. Then when you see it read the sentence before it (for context) and the sentence after it just in case there's any other bits of info. I'd recommend you guess & flag for review the questions that don't include key words such as "which of the following can be concluded" and come back to them at the end when/if you have time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    Hey guys, did my test today and got:

VR: 740
    QR: 740
    AR: 700

I've been getting from 633-685ish in mocks (in official and medify), very happy!
    To be honest I felt like I didnt do my best in any of the sections and still got that - I think the marking system is far nicer in the real exam
    I'm struggling to get the right technique for VR.. Especially for the comprehension questions, do people first read the whole passage then look at the questions ? if yes, how much time do you spend on reading it. or do people just go straight onto the questions then try to scan the passage for the right answer ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys
    I recently sat the UKcat and received a score of 670, band 2, which as far as I'm aware is pretty average.
    With GCSEs of 9A*, 1A, and a B, and predicted grades of A*A*A* at A2, are there any UNIs I should avoid, and any you reckon I'd have a good chance of getting into??
    (Original post by BlueBlizzard)
    UKCAT
    For Undergrad Medicine, Dentistry & Veterinary Applicants.

P.S. No Irish Med school requires the UKCAT, despite the title up there. I can't change it now

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I'm taking my UKCAT on the 21st of September and I'm planning to use medify. May I know how much time it takes to complete all the questions on the site so I know when to begin my subscription? I'm planning to spend about 3 hours a day on it.

Thanks for your help! As for all my fellow test takers, all the best! You've got this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabby1410)
    when you said use the numpad on the keyboard, do you have to enable it first by clicking numlock?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayott)
    Hi there!

I'm taking my UKCAT on the 21st of September and I'm planning to use medify. May I know how much time it takes to complete all the questions on the site so I know when to begin my subscription? I'm planning to spend about 3 hours a day on it.

Thanks for your help! As for all my fellow test takers, all the best! You've got this
    Mmm. I would say it takes about 20 hours to complete the whole set including all the mocks. Then again, you might wana repeat some of the questions - especially in the abstract reasoning section to solidify those patterns in your mind.

I would honestly book it up to exam date

ReputationRep:
    Mmm. I would say it takes about 20 hours to complete the whole set including all the mocks. Then again, you might wana repeat some of the questions - especially in the abstract reasoning section to solidify those patterns in your mind.

I would honestly book it up to exam date
    Okay, thank you so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling to get the right technique for VR.. Especially for the comprehension questions, do people first read the whole passage then look at the questions ? if yes, how much time do you spend on reading it. or do people just go straight onto the questions then try to scan the passage for the right answer ?
    It really depends on you and how your mind works. If you are a very quick reader who can intake a lot of information quickly, then reading the passage might be better for you. However, for most people, identifying keywords and scanning is always the quickest. Some of the type 2 questions can take a very long time (e.g. Which one of these is True/False) so its sometimes best to flag these and leave them for the end. However, you normally wont get more than 8 of these. Personally, i think scanning is more effective but its all down to you really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Dragon_)
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone know which universities take SJT into consideration? I scored an average of 730 but got band 3 and im worried this will hinder my chances at a number of universities.

Advice would be greatly appreciated
    glasgow uni dont look at SJT but they look heavily at the other sections which you have done excellently in

ReputationRep:
    I never read the passage in detail as it would take too much time.
    If it was a T/F/CT question, I would just scan the text for the keywords in the question.
    If it was a reading comprehension question, I would skim the text first and kind of quickly map out the contents of each paragraph. I'd then skim the response options and choose which I think is the most likely, and then look for it in the paragraph I think it will be in. I'd then repeat with the others if that isn't the right one.
    It's about speed - you haven't got time to read anything but the question in much detail.

ReputationRep:
    Im taking my UKCAT on monday and I was wondering A) does anyone have any advice for AR? I cant do it for the life of me and it drags my scores down ridiculously and B) do you bother for the decision analysis, I mean it doesnt count for anything so can I/ have you /do you skip(ed) it?

thansk

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.