Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Hi everyone.

I have a ccouple of questions
    How do you arrange school experience?
    If any of you have worked as a teaching assistant before, what is it like?
    Start with contacting your own old school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Hi everyone.

I have a ccouple of questions
    How do you arrange school experience?
    If any of you have worked as a teaching assistant before, what is it like?
    Hi!

I went into a local primary school to arrange experience. I already worked as a teaching assistant but only in Key Stage 1. I enjoyed being a teaching assistant, supporting in the classroom. Within the last year my job began to change and instead of supporting groups and the teacher I ended up carrying out 1:1 pupil interventions. It was fine and a good learning experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    Who else will be joining us in this thread? :-)
    I will!! I'll be doing Secondary Maths. I can't wait to get started, it's going to be a hard year with many challenges ahead. Let's hope we come out in one piece!

ReputationRep:
    My course starts a week tomorrow. Currently feeling rather daunted and questioning whether I can do this... time will tell!! Of course, I'm also extremely excited but reality about the intensity of these next few months has set in!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    My course starts a week tomorrow. Currently feeling rather daunted and questioning whether I can do this... time will tell!! Of course, I'm also extremely excited but reality about the intensity of these next few months has set in!!
    I'm in exactly the same place.

Im pretty sure I might have the added bonus od needing to book a hotel the night before placement days as I'm commuting

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)

Im pretty sure I might have the added bonus od needing to book a hotel the night before placement days as I'm commuting

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How far? Generally unis have schools in quite a wide range And that could get very expensive - you're doing secondary aren't you? My housemates who did secondary were on placement for about 6 weeks before Christmas and almost all of January-May afterwards (apart from school hols obviously)

ReputationRep:
    It could get very expensive for you. I know my university helps to pay for accommodation if it's too far away. I wonder if yours will be the same?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could you not get temporary accommodation near your placement? My housemate who did OT had to do this when she was placed far away. It might work out cheaper than commuting too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm mainly looking forward to placements

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I will be commuting but my uni say they take commute and use of public transport into account when sorting placements - hopefully yours is the same!

(Original post by brown shuga)
    I'm mainly looking forward to placements

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am, but that's also the bit I'm most nervous about!! Haha.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    How far? Generally unis have schools in quite a wide range And that could get very expensive - you're doing secondary aren't you? My housemates who did secondary were on placement for about 6 weeks before Christmas and almost all of January-May afterwards (apart from school hols obviously)
    I'm commuting about an hour by train so crossing my fingers for a decent placement. They know the situation though and that moving might be too stressful for now so I'm hoping for a good placement at least until I can drive.

Living at home with no rent or anything (even my food is paid for) means spending £30 in a hotel the night before placement shouldn't be too expensive. And I have friends living in my uni city too so I can stay there sometimes.

(Original post by Chrissi86)
    It could get very expensive for you. I know my university helps to pay for accommodation if it's too far away. I wonder if yours will be the same?
    I have a good bursary because I'm computing. I'm commuting anyway but they'll help with travel costs if they're insanely high so if it's not too awkward a journey it'll be fine but I also have disabled student allowance that can cover accommodation and travel. Just hoping it pans out okay. The nerves are definitely kicking in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Could you not get temporary accommodation near your placement? My housemate who did OT had to do this when she was placed far away. It might work out cheaper than commuting too.
    If I need to I'll definitely be looking into it. My wife and puppy are going to be stuck in my hometown because she works at our local uni so we're a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hoping I can put up with the travel for now but if I need to I'll investigate renting a room for my placement weeks. I'm lucky that I've got a timetable so already know all of my placement days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pgce starts in about 10 days, and I am starting to get really nervous. Anyone feeling the same?

ReputationRep:
    Living at home with no rent or anything (even my food is paid for) means spending £30 in a hotel the night before placement shouldn't be too expensive. And I have friends living in my uni city too so I can stay there sometimes.
    When you are on placement 4-5 days a week for 6 months in the second term, this might become a problem..... plus the added costs of eating out vs cooking for yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Filledusoleil)
    Pgce starts in about 10 days, and I am starting to get really nervous. Anyone feeling the same?
    Not at all nervous. I probably should be. 'Blissfully and naively optimistic' is how I'm sure I will describe my current self in a month or so's time.

ReputationRep:
    Not so much scared of the programme itself. I have been a TA for a long time and somehow I know what to expect. But having been working for the last 8 years in the same place, I am a bit anxious of all the changes. Plus, student finance and all are really stressing me out.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't nervous but it is hitting me a bit now....worrying I'm not good enough, worrying about finances for the year, worrying about the amount of work.... yeah. Still mega excited and that outweighs the worry, but I'm definitely feeling the nerves now.

ReputationRep:
    My school direct begins on Monday and my main worry right now is that I haven't been in a full time job for over ten years (I've been a stay at home mum with a few part time jobs, volunteering etc). So I'm pretty scared at the big culture shock that will bring!
    I am very much looking forward to teaching, though. I can't wait to find out what will be expected of me and to get stuck in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting on monday and getting so nervous! Can somebody tell me what the subject audits are like? (Primary Early years) Will they be tests that we have to pass like how the skills tests were?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblyraindrop)
    I'm starting on monday and getting so nervous! Can somebody tell me what the subject audits are like? (Primary Early years) Will they be tests that we have to pass like how the skills tests were?
    It'll be fine, don't worry . Good luck with the test, I have 3 audits for the core subjects and I'm really worried about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.