Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habski)
    Have you figured this out yet?
    Yeah. Kinda. I think.

It basically supresses the output of the STN even though it stimulates it. Kinda weird, but this is what I was told and tbh I cba to think more about it now. :p:

I'm still revising B&B dude! Grrrr!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PineBarrens)
    As far as I know it's already been changed.....though it took a GMC "recommendation" for it to happen.

Finals are also being moved to March which means having to resit won't mean losing your job.
    Ahh I see you're following the Barts way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Ahh I see you're following the Barts way!
    Our finals are moving to earlier as well so we can resit before jobs start - bloody annoying as it means finals revision drops from 6 weeks to 2 weeks.

I love cramming.

ReputationRep:
    How do people define finals then? Cos here we sit 'finals' in fourth year, but there are exams (an OSCE, I believe) at the end of fifth, which if failed means resitting the entirety of 5th year and losing your job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Our finals are moving to earlier as well so we can resit before jobs start - bloody annoying as it means finals revision drops from 6 weeks to 2 weeks.

I love cramming.
    It's probably better in the long run - wouldnt want to loose my job and to have to wait a very long time to resit my exam.

ReputationRep:
    I've got all of...3 days :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    I've got all of...3 days :p:
    Yeah but that's different - you guys blatantly don't have the luxury of cram revising at the end. You geek it out all year long

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but that's different - you guys blatantly don't have the luxury of cram revising at the end. You geek it out all year long
    We're not ICSM yo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    How do people define finals then? Cos here we sit 'finals' in fourth year, but there are exams (an OSCE, I believe) at the end of fifth, which if failed means resitting the entirety of 5th year and losing your job.
    UEA does the same but we never really considered our end of 4th year exams as finals or anything - finals around here definitely means the make it or break it OSCE!

ReputationRep:
    We're not ICSM yo.
    Rofl.

Meh I think my know nothing throughout the year - suddenly learn everything at the end methods would not be viable at Oxbridge :p:.

Nothing motivates me to study anymore - I dunno as you get older do you start to realise - meh even if I failed I'd hardly end up on the street - I'd get a job somewhere?

I wish I could get the fear - it now only comes like way too late

ReputationRep:
    like the little profile pic thing haha

ReputationRep:
    We have Final MB exams parts I, II and II. Part I (clinical pathology) and II (O&G, paeds OSCE) are done in 5th year, and Part III (medicine/surgery/specialties/public health/ethics and is etc. OSCE/written) are taken at the end of 6th year.

Part I causes the most fear, Part II is pretty straightforward, and Part III is supposedly just formality despite covering pretty much everything. You can resit I and II in the October of 6th year (but can only fail 2 out of the 3 subjects, or resit the year), and resit III in July before starting work (but that depends on which components of III you fail)

ReputationRep:
    Year 3 :

General Medicine & Surgery written.
    OSCE of about 10 stations (something like 3 x History, 3 x Examination and 4 clinical skills e.g. ECG, cannulation, explaining procedure etc)

Year 4 : BSc

Year 5 (all exams in July, resits in September of 6th year which starts late) :

3hr Pathology written
    3hr Specialties (Paeds, OG, Psych) written
    PACES - 2 stations of each Paeds, OG and Psych

Year 6 (all exams in June, resists october of what should have been FY1) :

2 x 3hr written - Pharmacology (30%), Surgery (30%), Medicine (30%), Public Health/Epidemiology (10%)

1h30min Practical Prescribing written paper

Surgery PACES - 6 stations : History, Orthopaedics, Vascular, Abdomen, Instruments & Imaging, Short cases

Medicine PACES : 6 stations : Cardio, Resp, Abdomen, Neuro, History, Short Cases

ReputationRep:
    I've got a question....

In the cerebellum lecture, it states that anterior lobe syndrome causes hypotonia, dysdiadochokinesis, dysmetria etc but in shortlands book it states that those symptoms are caused by posterior lobe cerebellar dysfunction. I'm sooooo confused!!!!!!!!!

Yeah. Kinda. I think.

It basically supresses the output of the STN even though it stimulates it. Kinda weird, but this is what I was told and tbh I cba to think more about it now. :p:

I'm still revising B&B dude! Grrrr!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3068772 does anyone have access?

I hate this write up more and more. I have bursts of inspiration and then hit another wall. So depressing.

4weeks for 13 is plenty. I did a years worth in 6...
    Sorry, we only go back to 1998

ReputationRep:
    We have 'Exempting Exam' in Jan of yr 5 (1 x OSCE, 1 x PMP (EMQ's & Progress Test), if you pass (most do) it you are exempt from sitting 'finals' in May.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habski)
    I've got a question....

In the cerebellum lecture, it states that anterior lobe syndrome causes hypotonia, dysdiadochokinesis, dysmetria etc but in shortlands book it states that those symptoms are caused by posterior lobe cerebellar dysfunction. I'm sooooo confused!!!!!!!!!
    Stick with Miller's lectures. That book has mistakes in it anyway.

It makes sense to get dysdiadochokinesis in anterior lobe syndrome/damage to spinocerebellum because the rst which originates from there coordinates movements the limbs and such. Could be wrong though. :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edcourageous)
    We have 'Exempting Exam' in Jan of yr 5 (1 x OSCE, 1 x PMP (EMQ's & Progress Test), if you pass (most do) it you are exempt from sitting 'finals' in May.
    Isn't that a nice way of calling the 'exempting exam' the final and the 'final' in may the resit?

ReputationRep:
    thanks man.

Stick with Miller's lectures. That book has mistakes in it anyway.

It makes sense to get dysdiadochokinesis in anterior lobe syndrome/damage to spinocerebellum because the rst which originates from there coordinates movements the limbs and such. Could be wrong though. :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
    Sorry, we only go back to 1998
    I have finished it now so don't worry.

I got my flatmate to look over it, being a chemist he actually knew what a lab report should look like. Hopefully it is all ok now, and it means I get today off M&S foodhall here I come

I don't even want to think about exams in future years it just fills me with terror.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.