Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    how did the golden arrow thing work?

ReputationRep:
    Last week's episode was much better, nothing that happened in this episode moved me. I don't think we learned much about the Doctor from this episode at all (save that he's stubbornly attached to his preconceptions, but we knew that much already). Also, how did the Doctor get his screwdriver back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dire wolf)
    how did the golden arrow thing work?
    The spaceship needed gold. It didn't have enough (apparently). The golden arrow meant the spaceship had enough gold to get a little bit further away from the earth.

I don't really understand why a gold crazed organisation would give away a golden arrow, but nevermind...

ReputationRep:
    Felt that this episode was better than the previous 2. Is anyone else noticing the amount of Game of Thrones actors in the past 3 episodes (ironically we're 3 for 3 in deaths).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    I enjoyed it, although I'm not quite full of the unbounded praise you are
    :getmecoat: read through the thread, the usual split opinions.

I've just felt disappointed with the show during most of series 7 and the first two episodes of series 8. Capaldi seemed funnier and spent less time wondering whether he is good/bad.

We didn't see Missy this episode - maybe she's the Rani(?), she has a similar look to the old character, and was a Time Lord villain.. now that Gallifrey has returned, maybe its villains are back as well:iiam:

ReputationRep:
    tonight's episode was better than I thought it would be tbh, when I saw the trailer I was worried it would be completely naff

but I was surprised how good it was at times, the interplay between the Doctor and Robin was done well, more exploration of who the doctor is through Robin Hood (they are both "hero's" but don't think of themselves that way necessarily, they both carry burdens, they both wonder at the end how they will be remembered), another hint as to the end of the series too with "the promised land" the robots are looking for.

some of it was a bit cliche/cringey though, it was good but not on the level of the first two episodes imo, definitely not as good as the Dalek episode, but a solid effort even so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    It was okay, not great but not awful. Trailer for next week looks terrifying. Luckily I've got the bf over next weekend to snuggle up to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pretty much this.
    And super glad my mattress is on the floor so there's no space for anything to hide underneath it :afraid:

I'll be sleeping on a bed next weekend though :erm:

Also, no Missy :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    Pretty much this.
    And super glad my mattress is on the floor so there's no space for anything to hide underneath it :afraid:

even though Missy wasn't in it they still did the foreshadowing cause on the robot ship it says their destination is "the promised land" like with the robots in the first episode
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    I might skip next week...
    Sensible :yep:

(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    I agree! Two was fantastic, but three was definitely just okay. It was a really fun episode, but I think it was a little bit TOO lighthearted! It cheapened the plot a great deal.

I've not been a big fan of the past "scary" episodes, but fingers crossed for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah could have been a much better episode although I did enjoy all the references and even similar costumes to Disney's Robin Hood. Also cba with Doctor and Robin Hood arguing like little boys, enough "I've got a bigger ****" already :rolleyes:

(Original post by Aula)
    Pretty much this.

Crap my bed is really high off the ground (to the extend that if I hang my legs over the side they don't touch the floor :eek:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Yeah could have been a much better episode although I did enjoy all the references and even similar costumes to Disney's Robin Hood. Also cba with Doctor and Robin Hood arguing like little boys, enough "I've got a bigger ****" already :rolleyes:
    I really enjoyed the **** measuring contest. Not something we would have gotten with previous incarnations of the doctor and these sorts of confrontation help expand the character. Fortunately, it's been done now, so they won't have to write it into the script again! Would just be tedious a second time round.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I really enjoyed the **** measuring contest. Not something we would have gotten with previous incarnations of the doctor and these sorts of confrontation help expand the character. Fortunately, it's been done now, so they won't have to write it into the script again! Would just be tedious a second time round.
    I really hope you're being sarcastic but too sleepy to know...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I really hope you're being sarcastic but too sleepy to know...
    No sarcasm. It was fun to watch two entirely narcissistic, egomaniacal characters go at each other.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    No sarcasm. It was fun to watch two entirely narcissistic, egomaniacal characters go at each other.
    Except they've already done it before on the show...think 10 and 11 fighting together etc.

ReputationRep:
    that would be the cringey/cliche stuff I mentioned aye, just awful, ruins the plot & is really pointless, the whole them being surprised they took Clara to interrogate first thing as well was just beyond naff, wish they wouldn't do stuff like that, takes away from otherwise good episodes when they do.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Except they've already done it before on the show...think 10 and 11 fighting together etc.
    Nah, I see the two encounters entirely differently. Capaldi's encounter struck me like I was watching PG Malcolm Tucker; felt Ten and Eleven was more like two bros trying to outdo each other.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched it. I like it actually, but I thought they missed a trick. They play with the idea that Robin is an illusion. I thought it would have been interesting for it to transpire that he is indeed made-up (a robot or something else) but believes he's real. He's only existed for only around 12 months but has a whole lifetime of memories. I think it would be interesting to see him come to terms with that. In the end, he would save the day and the doctor would allow him to live on, trying to live up to the legend.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    Loved tonight's episode. Then again, I'm bias as Nottingham is the best place :mmm:

But loved the humour in it. Well written

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Just watched it. I like it actually, but I thought they missed a trick. They play with the idea that Robin is an illusion. I thought it would have been interesting for it to transpire that he is indeed made-up (a robot or something else) but believes he's real. He's only existed for only around 12 months but has a whole lifetime of memories. I think it would be interesting to see him come to terms with that. In the end, he would save the day and the doctor would allow him to live on, trying to live up to the legend.
    They sort of already did that when David Morrisey played The Doctor/Jackson Lake.

ReputationRep:
    Felt like I was watching Sarah Jane Adventures. I really don't know why I watch this crap. I guess it's because if Doctor Who ever becomes as good as series 1-4 I don't want to miss it, so I carry on watching in hope
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    I thought the episode was reasonably well done. I enjoyed a lot of the set-pieces and a lot of the humour. The only part I was less keen on was the robots themselves. Slow-moving shooting laser beams androids just felt very generic. Overall a bit scooby doo but still enjoyable.

I love the Madame de Pompadour quote "One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel."

Watching some of the last series have felt like this - hoping for that one good episode in among. However, so far I would say this up on the last few series.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.