Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    lol my daughter's always appalled how much time I spend on Internet......though there's another helicopter parent much,much bigger than me on this thread!

Even though we knew quite a few people who were at Cambridge and her school's support for all their Oxbridge applicants was really great, some of the info we could get from this forum was really valuable, supplemented other info we got from other sources. I'm just repaying our debt, hopefully being able to share a bit of glimps of how a life as cantab may be like for people thinking of applying there, as there're so many misconceptions, myths, etc....
    Well I know that I very much appreciate the insight!

To be honest, having spoken to some of the academics at Cambridge a few times over this year, I've found that TSR is (if you're selective) almost never incorrect when it comes to this admissions process.

lol my daughter's always appalled how much time I spend on Internet......though there's another helicopter parent much,much bigger than me on this thread!

Even though we knew quite a few people who were at Cambridge and her school's support for all their Oxbridge applicants was really great, some of the info we could get from this forum was really valuable, supplemented other info we got from other sources. I'm just repaying our debt, hopefully being able to share a bit of glimps of how a life as cantab may be like for people thinking of applying there, as there're so many misconceptions, myths, etc....
    That's a very sweet gesture And you are right, the information here is very helpful, more helpful than the information I receive at sixth form in my opinion. I'm very grateful that I stumbled onto this site, though it's very addictive As far my parents are concerned, I'm not sure if my parents are fully aware that I will be applying to Cambridge if I get the grades :lol: I think I'll tell them the day before I send off my UCAS application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antisansculotte)
    Well I know that I very much appreciate the insight!

To be honest, having spoken to some of the academics at Cambridge a few times over this year, I've found that TSR is (if you're selective) almost never incorrect when it comes to this admissions process.

Yes the info here's usually good.....tho there're some posters who tend to plug their on college a little too enthusiastically, giving not-so-objective info, so sometimes you need a big pinch of salt.
    Cambridge is such a big university with much more complex organisation than other unis because of collegiate system, etc. whatever the info whoever (including me)!is giving can be just a tiny aspect of a huge & complex picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enaayrah)
    That's a very sweet gesture And you are right, the information here is very helpful, more helpful than the information I receive at sixth form in my opinion. I'm very grateful that I stumbled onto this site, though it's very addictive As far my parents are concerned, I'm not sure if my parents are fully aware that I will be applying to Cambridge if I get the grades :lol: I think I'll tell them the day before I send of my UCAS application
    :ditto:
    I'm so glad I've found TSR, thanks to this site I could decide on my A level subjects which I don't regret AT ALL and now I get the best info on admission process thanks to the parents, cantab and admission tutors (I can't communicate with any of those people irl!)

Just a bit addictive as you say but all worth it I hope

(Original post by C0balt)
    :ditto:I'm so glad I've found TSR, thanks to this site I could decide on my A level subjects which I don't regret AT ALL and now I get the best info on admission process thanks to the parents, cantab and admission tutors (I can't communicate with any of those people irl!)Just a bit addictive as you say but all worth it I hope
    . Cambridge or not, I will dedicate my successes in life (if I have any) to TSR

ReputationRep:
    That's a very sweet gesture And you are right, the information here is very helpful, more helpful than the information I receive at sixth form in my opinion. I'm very grateful that I stumbled onto this site, though it's very addictive As far my parents are concerned, I'm not sure if my parents are fully aware that I will be applying to Cambridge if I get the grades :lol: I think I'll tell them the day before I send of my UCAS application
    My daughter didn't want to go to Cambridge at all at first. I dragged her to Open Day because her school strongly recommended she should try. She changed her mind after the open day, but there're two other unis she was more interested in their course. She got offers from those two, too, but in the end she chose Cambridge because of the collegiate system. She thinks that was the best decision of her life.
    I'm sure you're parents will be supportive once you submitted your application. There's no parent who wouldnt hope the best for their child. it's just one university out of five. What do you have to lose?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, it has only had positive impacts on my education :cool:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Nope, didn't contribute to procrastination at all :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The thing is I procrastinate anyway so at least I'm doing something vaguely related to my education rather than watching random YouTube videos

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I share some of that success/credit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    The thing is I procrastinate anyway so at least I'm doing something vaguely related to my education rather than watching random YouTube videos

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Like if it wasn't for people asking questions on c2 and c1 I wouldn't have done any revision for them at all yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah helping people on chem/physics has been actually useful lol
    i don't know what i'd be doing to procrastinate without TSR - but I'm sure it would be less productive thing

Spoiler:
    Show
    But this is a good procrastination...
    I talk here for a while, saying all the great things I hope to do, and then I say 'Heck, let me get off my ass and actually do something to get it' it's quite a nice feeling haha

(Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I share some of that success/credit?
    Well, you are on TSR

My daughter didn't want to go to Cambridge at all at first. I dragged her to Open Day because her school strongly recommended she should try. She changed her mind after the open day, but there're two other unis she was more interested in their course. She got offers from those two, too, but in the end she chose Cambridge because of the collegiate system. She thinks that was the best decision of her life.
    I'm sure you're parents will be supportive once you submitted your application. There's no parent who wouldnt hope the best for their child. it's just one university out of five. What do you have to lose?
    I have a number of things in my mind that I would lose! :lol: I'm only kidding, it is only one choice out of five, and I hope that my grades are such that I can apply to as many great universities in the country as possible, so I am guaranteed a good degree no matter what

ReputationRep:
    But this is a good procrastination...
    I talk here for a while, saying all the great things I hope to do, and then I say 'Heck, let me get off my ass and actually do something to get it' it's quite a nice feeling haha
    Out of all procrastination I would do this is the most useful one :lol:

But well it's still a procrastination

Now I'll get this decision past paper done
    I've said this hundred times but decision is evil :fuhrer:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of all procrastination I would do this is the most useful one :lol:

But well it's still a procrastination

Now I'll get this decision past paper done
    I've said this hundred times but decision is evil :fuhrer:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have to do it next year not looking forward to it
    Hopefully C3, C4, FP1, M1 and M2 will overshadow D1, though I will have to get a high mark on it for an A*...

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully C3, C4, FP1, M1 and M2 will overshadow D1, though I will have to get a high mark on it for an A*...
    In maths you can move your applied unit around to maximise your grade as far as I know
    My friend was talking like how he only needs 60% or something in one of his units for an A*
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've had a look at D1 it's boring but it's easy.
    FP1 will be fun,you will enjoy it 😉.

ReputationRep:
    In maths you can move your applied unit around to maximise your grade as far as I know
    My friend was talking like how he only needs 60% or something in one of his units for an A*
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I need 11UMS in S2 whoo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    I need 11UMS in S2 whoo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LOL
    Erm, congrats!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.