Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Quinton)
    I've only really recently started thinking of applying for economics, I've taken Maths, History, Chemistry and Biology at AS level and hopefully (Fingers crossed) ill take all 4 through to A level next year with best case scenario (Somehow) 4 A's and worst case about ABBB, Will not taking economics at AS/A level disadvantage me at all to get into a top economics uni e.g.. UCL, LSE or Warwick? And if I do badly this year say (BBBB) and then resit AS's next year alongside my A levels and say I manage (after resits) AAAA at as level and AAAB at a level will this be good enough to get me into a good economics school? Thanks I'm so confused right now cause some forums say like 80 percent or economics students in top uni's have economics a levels but then others say its not necessary and simply showing an understanding of economics from self studying and background reading is good enough? thankssssss
    Just wait until you get your results... but realistically speaking no, with BBBB or ABBB you'd be highly unlikely to get into any of those places. There's ONE person on here who got an offer from Warwick with ABBB but he's the exception rather than the rule. Plenty more on here got rejected with straight As. By all means apply to them if you want to take the risk, but you should adjust your expectations accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0PEL3SS)
    The two are essentially the same when it comes to course content/structure and links with IB (both are targets along with ICL, LSE and Oxbridge), but obviously UCL has the London advantage (which, for all intents and purposes would simply be getting to the interviews etc).
    EPQ is an AS where you write a dissertation on any topic you want, and then have to present your findings to a panel of teachers after.
    And you're very welcome
    Do you do an EPQ in conjunction with a subject you're already studying at A level in school? And do you do it in school? or if not how do you go about doing one? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Just wait until you get your results... but realistically speaking no, with BBBB or ABBB you'd be highly unlikely to get into any of those places. There's ONE person on here who got an offer from Warwick with ABBB but he's the exception rather than the rule. Plenty more on here got rejected with straight As. By all means apply to them if you want to take the risk, but you should adjust your expectations accordingly.
    Yeah I realise that don't worry :P BBBB is a worst case scenario I'm pretty sure, hopefully in reality it'll be more like AAAB, but you never know... if I get BBBB I'm not gonna do economics I'll find something else haha, but say I got AABB, would it be worth me resiting the two B's and getting AAAA (which with some work I'm sure I could achieve) or are resits in year 13 pretty pointless? The other option is because I'm taking a gap year, if things do go badly this year e.g. ABBB-AABB then I resit the necessary in Year 13 on top of A levels and then I just apply with say AAAA and A levels in my gap year? hmmm decisions decisions...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I realise that don't worry :P BBBB is a worst case scenario I'm pretty sure, hopefully in reality it'll be more like AAAB, but you never know... if I get BBBB I'm not gonna do economics I'll find something else haha, but say I got AABB, would it be worth me resiting the two B's and getting AAAA (which with some work I'm sure I could achieve) or are resits in year 13 pretty pointless? The other option is because I'm taking a gap year, if things do go badly this year e.g. ABBB-AABB then I resit the necessary in Year 13 on top of A levels and then I just apply with say AAAA and A levels in my gap year? hmmm decisions decisions...
    It's up to you, I would resit.

ReputationRep:
    It was me.I am really lucky though
    Hey I got an offer from Warwick with an A and 3Bs.I wouldn't recommend you getting that and below that too!
    Get at least above 2 As and above with an A in Maths(at least to be on the safe side)

ReputationRep:
    It's up to you, I would resit.
    Resit on AAAB and then apply in the gap year?

ReputationRep:
    Do you do an EPQ in conjunction with a subject you're already studying at A level in school? And do you do it in school? or if not how do you go about doing one? :P
    No, it can be on anything. Usually it relates to things you want to do at uni. It counts as an AS, and you can be entered for it in school, but the actual work is done like coursework, although if your school doesn't offer it, it's not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0PEL3SS)
    No, it can be on anything. Usually it relates to things you want to do at uni. It counts as an AS, and you can be entered for it in school, but the actual work is done like coursework, although if your school doesn't offer it, it's not the end of the world.
    fair enough, is it done in year 13 generally or year 12? cause i haven't heard anything about it one this year in year 12 sooo :P And possible to do them out of school?

ReputationRep:
    fair enough, is it done in year 13 generally or year 12? cause i haven't heard anything about it one this year in year 12 sooo :P And possible to do them out of school?
    Either or.
    And it might be, but I doubt it considering the fact that there is a mentor role in this (the most relevant subject teacher).

ReputationRep:
    I've only really recently started thinking of applying for economics, I've taken Maths, History, Chemistry and Biology at AS level and hopefully (Fingers crossed) ill take all 4 through to A level next year with best case scenario (Somehow) 4 A's and worst case about ABBB, Will not taking economics at AS/A level disadvantage me at all to get into a top economics uni e.g.. UCL, LSE or Warwick? And if I do badly this year say (BBBB) and then resit AS's next year alongside my A levels and say I manage (after resits) AAAA at as level and AAAB at a level will this be good enough to get me into a good economics school? Thanks I'm so confused right now cause some forums say like 80 percent or economics students in top uni's have economics a levels but then others say its not necessary and simply showing an understanding of economics from self studying and background reading is good enough? thankssssss
    Well I didn't do A Level economics and I got ABBB at AS in biology, chemistry, French, physics but still ended up getting an offer from UCL. In fact I didn't even do maths in year 12; I wanted to do medicine originally and took A Level French instead, but then decided I wanted to study economics in uni so I've done AS and A2 maths in Year 13. I guess in my case they realised I could do much better judging by my GCSEs (10 A*s and 2As) so if you have around about the same number of A*s at GCSE, and you can get predicted 2/3 A*s in Year 13, and you can drop the most fire personal statement of 2015, then there's every chance that you will get an offer from a top uni like UCL, Warwick etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fha96)
    Well I didn't do A Level economics and I got ABBB at AS in biology, chemistry, French, physics but still ended up getting an offer from UCL. In fact I didn't even do maths in year 12; I wanted to do medicine originally and took A Level French instead, but then decided I wanted to study economics in uni so I've done AS and A2 maths in Year 13. I guess in my case they realised I could do much better judging by my GCSEs (10 A*s and 2As) so if you have around about the same number of A*s at GCSE, and you can get predicted 2/3 A*s in Year 13, and you can drop the most fire personal statement of 2015, then there's every chance that you will get an offer from a top uni like UCL, Warwick etc.
    You've got similar grades to me!But my GCSES were terrible!Similar story to me lol!

ReputationRep:
    If any economics applicants are interested in editing/writing for a nationwide, a-level economics magazine written by students, for students, then please see the link on tutor2u below:

http://beta.tutor2u.net/economics/bl...ation-to-write

I am one of the founding editors, and the first edition was distributed around the world, with 2000 print copies. (I'll post a link at the bottom where you can order a free copy, first class delivery, no charge.) If any of you are interested, please either email me personally at: [email protected] or follow the instructions in the article. Both is best.

Obviously, this would look absolutely insane on a personal statement, and is exactly the sort of thing that will set you apart from all the other applicants, whether you're applying to Oxbridge, the LSE, or US universities. Contributors for the first magazine are now going on to universities such as Princeton, Stanford, Cambridge, the LSE etc..

Free magazine: http://tutor2u.net/acatalog/Connecte...4.html#SID=581

ReputationRep:
    Hi Tom......
    Well done ........ Let me know if you need any help.
    Henry.

(Original post by tggfootymad)
    If any economics applicants are interested in editing/writing for a nationwide, a-level economics magazine written by students, for students, then please see the link on tutor2u below:

I am one of the founding editors, and the first edition was distributed around the world, with 2000 print copies. (I'll post a link at the bottom where you can order a free copy, first class delivery, no charge.) If any of you are interested, please either email me personally at: [email protected] or follow the instructions in the article. Both is best.

Obviously, this would look absolutely insane on a personal statement, and is exactly the sort of thing that will set you apart from all the other applicants, whether you're applying to Oxbridge, the LSE, or US universities. Contributors for the first magazine are now going on to universities such as Princeton, Stanford, Cambridge, the LSE etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lab1)
    Hi Tom......
    Well done ........ Let me know if you need any help.
    Henry.
    Getting the word out! Let's also email/talk after exams to decide 'next steps'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tggfootymad)

This is really, really cool! If I was a year younger (current Year 13) I'd have definitely joined this.

I recommend creating a new topic in this forum, as well as the Economics study help forum, so that as many Economics students as possible read it.

All the best to you guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    This is really, really cool! If I was a year younger (current Year 13) I'd have definitely joined this.

I recommend creating a new topic in this forum, as well as the Economics study help forum, so that as many Economics students as possible read it.

Thanks! Ok. Now to figure out how to do that....(I'm a novice on here you see!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)

And, of course, feel free to contribute an article! It's really exciting holding the magazine in you hand and seeing you article there in print.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fha96)
    Sounds like you were in the exact same situation as I am ahahha, and thanks I got 8A*'S and 2A's (we only do 10 subjects for some reason) so similar to you and what were your A level results (or are you waiting for them now) out of interest? And lets hope I can do the same as you then! I wanted to do medicine originally as well too :P

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you were in the exact same situation as I am ahahha, and thanks I got 8A*'S and 2A's (we only do 10 subjects for some reason) so similar to you and what were your A level results (or are you waiting for them now) out of interest? And lets hope I can do the same as you then! I wanted to do medicine originally as well too :P
    Yeah it seems like you're in pretty much the same position as I was looooool. I'm in Year 13 atm so my A Level exams are still ongoing but I've been predicted 3A*s + A* in Welsh Bac so that's what I'm hoping for

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, can you assess what chances I have for Economics at a top-flight uni, and where may be appropriate?
    GCSEs: 8A* 1A
    AS post-exam predictions
    Economics:
    Micro - 85%
    Macro - 98%
    History:
    Unit 1 - 96%
    Unit 2 - 95%
    Politics:
    Unit 1 - 70%
    Unit 2 - 95%
    Maths:
    C1 - 97%
    C2 - 79%
    S1 - 89%

I kind of messed up maths, what are my chances?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.