Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    Just saw this and it made me really want to be in Oxford - right now!

Damn the late start..

I spy Wadham in that picture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leahbroad)
    You could try the Half Moon in St Clements... If you put it into google you'll come up with their home page. Also, if you like folk music Oxford hosts its very own folk festival every year around April which is usually quite cheap. Also, there's a pretty comprehensive list of Oxford clubs, bars, events etc at www.dailyinfo.co.uk which will give you an idea of what kind of stuff there is
    Ahh folk music :love:. Do you think I'll have to try really hard to find someone who will go to a folk festival with me?

EDIT: http://oxfordfolkfestival.co.uk although this one doesn't look too promising...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    The Big Bang has shut
    Apparently they're reopening it in a different location. That may just be rumour, but I think it'll be reopened somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flywithemma)
    Ahh folk music :love:. Do you think I'll have to try really hard to find someone who will go to a folk festival with me?

EDIT: http://oxfordfolkfestival.co.uk although this one doesn't look too promising...
    Nope, try pretty much any musicians and they'll probably come along with you Hmmm no it doesn't. But there are always looooooooads of music things going on all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flywithemma)

There's a guy studying History at Corpus Christi who would happily go to pretty much any folk festival with pretty much anyone

And I can't believe I'd be the only one!

ReputationRep:
    Two weeks to go!

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Two weeks to go!

:awesome:
    :eek3:

I wish it was now!! All my friends are at uni now and they keep plastering it all over facebook...

I haven't even done any uni shopping yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Anti-Hero)
    There's a guy studying History at Corpus Christi who would happily go to pretty much any folk festival with pretty much anyone

And I can't believe I'd be the only one!
    I will most certainly remember that and hold him too it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    After I got my offer, I always used to look for Oxford on the weather forecast on BBC One, and I didn't see rain there once. So Oxford subsequently became a sort of mythical land where it never rained (among other things, of course ...).

Since getting in, I swear it's been raining every time I've looked :rolleyes:
    yeah... it rains a LOT in oxford. it also gets pretty damn cold in winter. i live less than an hour away, and smugly thought i knew how cold it would get (so didn't bring much super-warm clothing to interviews), ohhh i was so wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoire)
    yeah... it rains a LOT in oxford. it also gets pretty damn cold in winter. i live less than an hour away, and smugly thought i knew how cold it would get (so didn't bring much super-warm clothing to interviews), ohhh i was so wrong.
    I remember how frosty it was at interviews, admittedly Magdalen looked wonderful in the snow, but my word, my room was cold at night. I'm bringing a great big bundle of tweedy travelling rugs with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoire)
    I didn't find this at all! Maybe you have different weather at LMH? I don't remember it raining much throughout the year. And it gets as cold as anywhere else, but in oxford you are protected from wind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by refref)
    I didn't find this at all! Maybe you have different weather at LMH? I don't remember it raining much throughout the year. And it gets as cold as anywhere else, but in oxford you are protected from wind
    i was just surprised at how much colder it seemed to feel in comparison to home, when it's so close by although tbf, LMH is basically in another country, so it could have been that...

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been repeatedly asked by their friends whether Oxford students get a freshers' week?

It's crazy the weird perception that Oxford gets from others - and when I assure them that, yes, we do have a freshers' week the response is normally, "What, like...chess tournaments?":facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been repeatedly asked by their friends whether Oxford students get a freshers' week?

It's crazy the weird perception that Oxford gets from others - and when I assure them that, yes, we do have a freshers' week the response is normally, "What, like...chess tournaments?":facepalm:
    I just tell them that we had Pendulum for our summer ball.

ReputationRep:

I tell them we get bouncy castles and most turn pretty jealous

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else not recieved anything in regards to the bursary stuff from Oxford yet?

ReputationRep:

Haha no my friends, on the contrary, ask me all the time: I've heard fresher's week at Oxford is supposed to be reeeeeally crazy, is that true?
    and I'm not even from the UK haha

ReputationRep:

Oh exactly the same. They assumed that I was going to have a week of trivial pursuit when term started. I'm sure it'll be more debauched than any of theirs put together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deFossard)
    Oh exactly the same. They assumed that I was going to have a week of trivial pursuit when term started. I'm sure it'll be more debauched than any of theirs put together.
    My granddad seemed to think I would be drinking champagne out of women's bras.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micky022)
    My granddad seemed to think I would be drinking champagne out of women's bras.
    You mean you WON'T????? :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.